• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He has 1 guy who does nothing else but watching college tape and stealing plays from there. Whereas the rest of the league copies plays from within the league. He has found a new resource which also helps rookies and 2nd year players with their transition.
This is basically what we did 2 years ago when Roman re-designed the offense, but Reid does it constantly.

was just about to say - that's exactly how we revolutionised the running game - we looked at the NFL, we looked at high school, we looked at college, we literally consulted with college experts on triple option football and wing-t stuff

and we rolled out the best running game in the history of football for the next 2 years

why cant we do a similar process this offseason - obviously the pandemic's an issue but what's stopping that R&D process this offseason only this time based on re-designing the passing game

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
O no the Wolfpack ! I wonder in Koch is next ?? Ravens could potentially save 1.8 in Cap space if they let the 38 year old go post June 1st.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I kinda think the writing was on the wall here. I thought it was always suspicious that we kept Moore around all year. I know COVID and all but it seemed we really really liked him and Cox was getting older and dude had both ACLs replaced I think? Either way, he’s an older guy and it’s a young man’s game mostly.
I don’t think it’s necessarily cap related. They just happened to find a LS they liked just as much and kept him on the PS all year. Kept saying it was for Covid reasons but we knew the truth - Cox’s spot was very much up in the air to no fault of his own. They just happened to find another guy they really liked.
Yep that is what I think too, it was just kinda obvious all along that now it’s just what you expected.
But that’s not a decision they’re making now. Sure, they could move on from Koch, but it’s not about money UNTIL you have someone you feel can competently replace him. I’m sure they’ll bring in a young guy to compete this year, and if he does better in camp, you go cheaper. But you aren’t cutting Koch for money reasons right now. You’re literally talking about $800K post June 1. You can find ways to clear $800K on the cap almost anywhere if you really need it that much. Cox was not a money decision and Koch would not be either if it got to that point.
I could see Koch go but I don’t see why yet. As you said, replacing a LS is different than a P and we don’t exactly have someone we can definitely say is as good as Sam. Could it happen after training camp? Yes, but also don’t forget Koch is a deep reserve QB. He’s great on those fake punts.
Exactly this. Just one or two WRs that can actually get open and catch the ball. Stef and Beasley were absolute monsters for Allen. Boykin, Snead and Dez should all be shown the door
Man I really wanted Beasley when he was a FA & went to BUF. Still kinda pissed we didn’t get him here. Snead isn’t bad at all, I like Snead I just think he can’t be your #2 and he has to be here because Boykin sucks and we got no one else

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
and it's the way he's able to sneak the most dangerous weapons in football into massive wide open spaces - like how does he consistently get defenders on the field to lose sight of their 2 best receivers

and now that he has the best qb in the league and also myriad weapons it's like how do you stop him
It makes me wonder how did he not win a super bowl in philly? Was mcnabb actually the choke artist that people say he is?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It makes me wonder how did he not win a super bowl in philly? Was mcnabb actually the choke artist that people say he is?

probably more about the evolution of the nfl, the advancements in analytics and having pat mahomes at qb and a bounty of weapons suddenly opening up all these new possibilities for him (probably helped get the creative juices flowing too lol)

tbf it’s probably mostly about the weapons - look at how dynamic the KC offence with Alex Smith was in mahomes rookie year... was still tearing up the league lol

Whatever the fuck Andy Reid does where he draws the defenders, the blockers, the refs, the cameras, fucking everything, he draws THE ENTIRE FUCKING COUNTRY to one side of the formation and then there’s a player standing one yard in front mahomes with about 10 yards of open field in every direction and neither mahomes nor the target had to do a fucking thing to get open... that’s what I want. It’s just ball snap> clusterfuck of everyone scrambling to one side> oh shit Kelce just stood still and caught a shovel pass with an air distance of 1ft and now he’s in the endzone. Also there’s the classic snap> holy fuck there’s a lot of pressure> oh shit the rb has the ball full speed without a single defender within 15 yards.

seriously, what the hell is Andy Reid doing? How does he make it work?

I'm so glad we're talking about this black magic lol. Like - a bunch of confusing shit happens and then TRAVIS FUCKING KELCE is completely uncovered at the 1 yard line for an easy layup. Madness.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Can we talk about the possible Lamar extension for a moment. DeCosta seems pretty set on extending him this offseason and I’m confused why.

Lamar has played well enough to earn an extension but we still have two years to work with before giving up big money. If we exercise his 5th year option we owe Lamar 1.77 million and 21.2 on the 5th year option. With the salary cap dropping this year,and likely next , we could even think about a franchise tag for a sixth year. which is being estimated in to 22-25 million range thanks to to the low cap.

With all that being said I don’t understand the desire to go get this kid signed on a contract to Watson paying nearly 40 million a year. Whats the counter argument here ?

Can we talk about the possible Lamar extension for a moment. DeCosta seems pretty set on extending him this offseason and I’m confused why.

Lamar has played well enough to earn an extension but we still have two years to work with before giving up big money. If we exercise his 5th year option we owe Lamar 1.77 million and 21.2 on the 5th year option. With the salary cap dropping this year,and likely next , we could even think about a franchise tag for a sixth year. which is being estimated in to 22-25 million range thanks to to the low cap.

With all that being said I don’t understand the desire to go get this kid signed on a contract to Watson paying nearly 40 million a year. Whats the counter argument here ?

I guess a couple of things:
First, the longer you leave it, the more expensive it gets just because salaries only ever go up with time. DeCosta and his team have always done contracts early because they save you money in the long run.
Second, we don't know the details yet, but I think it's perfectly possible they'll work out an extension type deal where the cap hit remains low early on, but Lamar gets his value in late years. Obviously there's risk when projecting into the future but that's the game here really; estimating risk vs reward. I definitely think Lamar has show he's worth it.
Third, treating the player right. The avenue of keeping Lamar waiting for a contract, including possibly playing on a cut-rate franchise tag, is a risky game if the player feels like he's being taken for a ride and becomes unhappy. We have essentially no control if Lamar turns around in a franchise tag year and says 'you didn't treat me right, I'm leaving'. It might 'pay off' because Lamar seems invested in the team and doesn't seem the type to cause drama, but the Ravens have a long history of treating their players as people, and I don't think they'll want to take advantage of his good will like that.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I guess a couple of things:
First, the longer you leave it, the more expensive it gets just because salaries only ever go up with time. DeCosta and his team have always done contracts early because they save you money in the long run.
Second, we don't know the details yet, but I think it's perfectly possible they'll work out an extension type deal where the cap hit remains low early on, but Lamar gets his value in late years. Obviously there's risk when projecting into the future but that's the game here really; estimating risk vs reward. I definitely think Lamar has show he's worth it.
Third, treating the player right. The avenue of keeping Lamar waiting for a contract, including possibly playing on a cut-rate franchise tag, is a risky game if the player feels like he's being taken for a ride and becomes unhappy. We have essentially no control if Lamar turns around in a franchise tag year and says 'you didn't treat me right, I'm leaving'. It might 'pay off' because Lamar seems invested in the team and doesn't seem the type to cause drama, but the Ravens have a long history of treating their players as people, and I don't think they'll want to take advantage of his good will like that.

All things I agree however to play devils advocate
1. It might not get more expensive. Lamar may never develop in the quality passer we need or worse get injured.
2. It will be difficult to keep the cost cheap up front as any signing bonus will count against our limited cap in 2021. I’m sure DeCosta and the cap gurus can figure out a solution though.
3. 23 million over the next two years is no chump change. If that doesn’t keep Lamar happy we got big issues. I totally agree on 6th franchise tag .... just a last resort if need be. If we don’t know by year six if he’s the guy we maybe in trouble.

1. It might not get more expensive. Lamar may never develop in the quality passer we need or worse get injured.
2. It will be difficult to keep the cost cheap up front as any signing bonus will count against our limited cap in 2021. I’m sure DeCosta and the cap gurus can figure out a solution though.
3. 23 million over the next two years is no chump change. If that doesn’t keep Lamar happy we got big issues. I totally agree on 6th franchise tag .... just a last resort if need be. If we don’t know by year six if he’s the guy we maybe in trouble.

I think 1. is the whole game; if we pay now and he improves as a passer then we're all set. If he doesn't then it potentially looks bad. And vice-versa if we don't pay. But I also think Lamar is good enough with his skillset NOW to deserve a big contract. I throw out injuries because no-one can predict those.

For 3., 23 million over 2 years is no chump change to you and me, but on the scale of NFL quarterbacks - particularly MVP ones - it's nothing really. I'm already ready to say he's the guy, personally.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
was just about to say - that's exactly how we revolutionised the running game - we looked at the NFL, we looked at high school, we looked at college, we literally consulted with college experts on triple option football and wing-t stuff

and we rolled out the best running game in the history of football for the next 2 years

why cant we do a similar process this offseason - obviously the pandemic's an issue but what's stopping that R&D process this offseason only this time based on re-designing the passing game
Reid is super creative and innovative and he's got support from his GM who provides Reid with the player he needs. But one point he haven't really looked into is DCs and their scheme. So many of them still haven't transitioned and aren't up to date. Every week you can hear DCs say "we gotta stop the run". This may work when you play the Ravens but not when it comes to the Chiefs. There's only one DC I have ever heard saying "we gotta stop the pass first" - Staley who's now a HC. Too many defenses are fundamentally built to stop the run first. The Chiefs will remain dominant as long as defenses won't/can't adjust.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

1. The "developing into a better passer" argument is fine, but realistically, if he just maintains his current level as a passer for the next year or two, he's, at least, a $35M a year QB. He would have to get significantly worse as a passer for that number to come down. Injury would be a concern obviously, but that's also true of every QB quite frankly, and it would depend on the injury itself.
2. Only a portion of the signing bonus counts towards 2021. Signing bonuses, and really any bonuses, are usually prorated over the life of the deal. They're appealing to players because the players gets all the cash up front, while the team gets to spread out that impact for the salary cap.
Any possible deal we give him this offseason is going to be largely year 1 bonus money and littered with back-end escalations. Pretty much team in the league can afford to front-load contracts when the salary cap is likely to decline at least $10-15M.
Any deal he signs is technically an extension, since he's already under contract for 2021 at a $1.7M base salary. Most likely, they won't touch his salary... they'll just give him a very large signing bonus and prorate it. So if we were to do, say, a 4 year, $150M extension, they may give him like $40-50M in bonuses for this year, which they'll prorate over 5 years, so his cap hit will go up like $10M this year, but not destroy the team.
With Mahomes, they wont low on the signing bonus, but also did some pretty gigantic annual roster bonuses.
More cap savvy teams are trending towards less in bonuses, more in base salaries, so that the cap impact is more "flat" over the life of a deal, but when you don't have the cap space to do it and the cap is declining, that may not be an option.
The obvious problem with backloading is, well, you'll have gigantic increases year-over-year. Its the problem teams like the Eagles and Rams have with their QBs. Even the Chiefs. Mahomes costs $19.5M more next year than he did in 2020. Is he worth it? Of course. But the point is you have the same player costing like 5x what he costs the prior year. Is he going to perform 5x better because he costs 5x more? Of course not.
3. $23M over the next two years would, in QB terms, be a slap in the face. High-end backups make that kind of money. For context, $21M over two years is what Taysom Hill will make in New Orleans for 2020-2021. Lamar Jackson is a LOT more valuable than $1M more a year than Taysom Hill.

I don't know what the right answer is for how many years I'd extend Lamar. I probably wouldn't give him more than 4 years, which means keeping him here for the next 5. I'm definitely not doing some Mahomes-level like 10 year contract. But even if you somehow manage to get him on a "hometown discount" of sort (which isn't a real thing usually in these discussions), any discussion starts with $30M in average annual value, and likely goes much higher. After that's, its just how you manipulate the cap to make it work.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Reid is super creative and innovative and he's got support from his GM who provides Reid with the player he needs. But one point he haven't really looked into is DCs and their scheme. So many of them still haven't transitioned and aren't up to date. Every week you can hear DCs say "we gotta stop the run". This may work when you play the Ravens but not when it comes to the Chiefs. There's only one DC I have ever heard saying "we gotta stop the pass first" - Staley who's now a HC. Too many defenses are fundamentally built to stop the run first. The Chiefs will remain dominant as long as defenses won't/can't adjust.
While I agree, the main problem is stopping the pass is a hell of a lot harder than stopping the run. And the reason why a lot of DC's don't emphasize doing it, is because for the most part, it can't really be done that well consistently. It would require a very unbalanced level of personnel groupings to achieve. You need a multitude of pass rushers who can consistently get to the QB without blitzing, you need linebackers who can cover in space, and you need a secondary that's above average at every position AND has depth.

The elite pass defenses are still going to give up 200 yards/week or more on average, and those averages are skewed by facing teams who aren't good at throwing the ball to begin with. Even the great Rams pass D, as you referenced, struggled with better passing attacks. Josh Allen played well against them. So did Aaron Rodgers.

Its actually far easier to construct a roster that can stop the run, while not putting an unreasonable amount of resources together to do it. The Ravens are a good example of that. A lot of DC's view it as "lets make their offense one dimensional". And against most teams, that works well.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

because it'll be an extension so it wont significantly increase his cap hits in the 4th year of his deal... the increase will come in year 1 and 2 (if we exercise the option before he signs) from the pro-rated signing bonus

so let's say we give him a 4 year extension - he'd be under contract for 6 years and the only change to his next 2 years of cap hits would be a slight bump because of the signing bonus (which will pro-rate over the first 5 years of any deal he does)

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler

The Chiefs have also hit pretty solidly on Drafts. ^_^ They're a couple to three years ahead of us on that. Plus, the FA signings they've made have been pretty high impact too. We do a good job of those things, but the Chiefs have done it a little better. I think that counts for a lot. Plus, who do you trust on developing a cohesive OFF? Andy Reid or JH? JH is a good personnel manager, not so sure - - - still, after all these years, his impact on X's and O's. It's pretty clear Andy Reid is one of the best X and O guys.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
because it'll be an extension so it wont significantly increase his cap hits in the 4th year of his deal... the increase will come in year 1 and 2 (if we exercise the option before he signs) from the pro-rated signing bonus

so let's say we give him a 4 year extension - he'd be under contract for 6 years and the only change to his next 2 years of cap hits would be a slight bump because of the signing bonus (which will pro-rate over the first 5 years of any deal he does)
Partially yes.

What I don't know, though, is whether he would be under contract for 5 years or 6 years in your example. If we extend him before we option his 5th year, that may not count. I.e. if we sign him to an extension this year, it might trigger us declining his 5th year option instead, meaning his four year extension puts him here for 5 years, not 6. I honestly don't know if that's how it works or not.

Plus, the problem I see is that its either a) going to be a very large signing bonus in order to prorate or b) a bunch of roster bonuses in future years. Like if he's getting a $40-50M signing bonus in 2021, and you're prorating for five years, you're still talking an $8-10M increase in his cap hit. That's not a lot in the grand scheme of things, as his cap number would still be like $11-12M, but an $8-10M cap increase could be like 40-50% of the total salary cap we have for 2021 to begin with. That would, in my eyes, all but essentially eliminate the possibility of any franchise tag for a pass rusher, any possibly, any extension for those pass rushers also. And it would certainly kill a big-time FA WR signing.

I think they'll need to be creative. Chiefs kept Mahomes cap hit so small this year (like $6M) because his signing bonus was only $10M, and they pushed all of his roster bonuses to future years. He gets like a $30M roster bonus every year for like a half decade. He basically agreed to make dog shit in 2020, as he only got like $15M in cash or something like that. If Lamar agrees to similar, it'll be good for us. But if he wants like $30-40-50M at signing, which is what most of these top QBs end up getting, it's still going to be a decent sized cap increase in 2020, in the context of our available cap space.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
While I agree, the main problem is stopping the pass is a hell of a lot harder than stopping the run. And the reason why a lot of DC's don't emphasize doing it, is because for the most part, it can't really be done that well consistently. It would require a very unbalanced level of personnel groupings to achieve. You need a multitude of pass rushers who can consistently get to the QB without blitzing, you need linebackers who can cover in space, and you need a secondary that's above average at every position AND has depth.

The elite pass defenses are still going to give up 200 yards/week or more on average, and those averages are skewed by facing teams who aren't good at throwing the ball to begin with. Even the great Rams pass D, as you referenced, struggled with better passing attacks. Josh Allen played well against them. So did Aaron Rodgers.

Its actually far easier to construct a roster that can stop the run, while not putting an unreasonable amount of resources together to do it. The Ravens are a good example of that. A lot of DC's view it as "lets make their offense one dimensional". And against most teams, that works well.
Yeah it's inherently more diffcult to stop the pass - stop is more of a catchphrase than anything else - limit sounds plausible. This starts with eliminating chunk and explosive plays. According to NexGen the Rams have lined up with a light box on 83% of plays, the highest rate in the NFL. Broncos are second at 78 %, and no other team is above 72%. This doesn't mean it's a better scheme - i just want to highlight their approach. The Seahawks style of defense attracted a lot of other DCs around the league who then tried to copy their Cover-1/3 i.e. single high safety coverage. Reid exploits this everytime he gets a chance. Staley and Wink are two DCs who reinvented defensive philosophies. Each scheme has its advantages.

Here are a couple of excerpts of Staley's philosophy:
- my big belief system is 1-on-1s in the run game and 2-on-1s in the passing game
- “In college, with the RPO game, you have to play split safety to get the overlap with the QB running the ball,” Staley said. “You can’t play single-high with the QB as a runner and the running back as a lead blocker. When they have all 11 guys that they can use, and you only have 10 because one of those guys is in the middle of the field, you’re gonna get torn up. That’s why you see the defenses being played in college get exposed.”
- by playing a variety of coverages out of those two-high looks the Rams have been able to eliminate some of the vulnerabilities that occasionally emerge with more static zone defenses. aka quarters.
-”When you study a lot of people who play quarters, the coverage really splits and you have these independent worlds happening. To me, that’s the easiest way for offense to create matchups. We want as much overlap in your defense as possible. That’s something that’s a staple of ours.”

Stats:
allowed just four touchdown passes of 10+ air yards (four less than any other defense) and a passer rating of just 29.2 on deep throws (first in the league).

I don't want to make this post too long. I can dm you the article if you're interested to read more about it.

Because they have best receiver and tight end in the league. Also Lamar is no Mahomes. Theres no way we can become the best passing team in the league, but I'm sure above average is in the realm of possibilities.

probably more about the evolution of the nfl, the advancements in analytics and having pat mahomes at qb and a bounty of weapons suddenly opening up all these new possibilities for him (probably helped get the creative juices flowing too lol)

tbf it’s probably mostly about the weapons - look at how dynamic the KC offence with Alex Smith was in mahomes rookie year... was still tearing up the league lol
An now Alex Smith isn't even a comp
1. The "developing into a better passer" argument is fine, but realistically, if he just maintains his current level as a passer for the next year or two, he's, at least, a $35M a year QB. He would have to get significantly worse as a passer for that number to come down. Injury would be a concern obviously, but that's also true of every QB quite frankly, and it would depend on the injury itself.
2. Only a portion of the signing bonus counts towards 2021. Signing bonuses, and really any bonuses, are usually prorated over the life of the deal. They're appealing to players because the players gets all the cash up front, while the team gets to spread out that impact for the salary cap.
Any possible deal we give him this offseason is going to be largely year 1 bonus money and littered with back-end escalations. Pretty much team in the league can afford to front-load contracts when the salary cap is likely to decline at least $10-15M.
Any deal he signs is technically an extension, since he's already under contract for 2021 at a $1.7M base salary. Most likely, they won't touch his salary... they'll just give him a very large signing bonus and prorate it. So if we were to do, say, a 4 year, $150M extension, they may give him like $40-50M in bonuses for this year, which they'll prorate over 5 years, so his cap hit will go up like $10M this year, but not destroy the team.
With Mahomes, they wont low on the signing bonus, but also did some pretty gigantic annual roster bonuses.
More cap savvy teams are trending towards less in bonuses, more in base salaries, so that the cap impact is more "flat" over the life of a deal, but when you don't have the cap space to do it and the cap is declining, that may not be an option.
The obvious problem with backloading is, well, you'll have gigantic increases year-over-year. Its the problem teams like the Eagles and Rams have with their QBs. Even the Chiefs. Mahomes costs $19.5M more next year than he did in 2020. Is he worth it? Of course. But the point is you have the same player costing like 5x what he costs the prior year. Is he going to perform 5x better because he costs 5x more? Of course not.
3. $23M over the next two years would, in QB terms, be a slap in the face. High-end backups make that kind of money. For context, $21M over two years is what Taysom Hill will make in New Orleans for 2020-2021. Lamar Jackson is a LOT more valuable than $1M more a year than Taysom Hill.

I don't know what the right answer is for how many years I'd extend Lamar. I probably wouldn't give him more than 4 years, which means keeping him here for the next 5. I'm definitely not doing some Mahomes-level like 10 year contract. But even if you somehow manage to get him on a "hometown discount" of sort (which isn't a real thing usually in these discussions), any discussion starts with $30M in average annual value, and likely goes much higher. After that's, its just how you manipulate the cap to make it work.
Or he can regress as a passer like Goff and Wentz have. I wouldn't pay him just yet. Id rather pay more later and be right than be wrong and pay now. That will absolutely destroy the team and we would be forced to tank to rebuild.

the problem with stopping the pass is that there aren't pass rushers and corners going around. Instead the league is full of run defenders. Other than the Ravens, what other team is 3-4 deep at CB?. While we have the CBs we lack the pass rushers. So elite passing teams will always have an advantage.