• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Personally, I think whatever passing scheme they go with has to work Lamar's mobility into the equation. But that will require him continuing to develop the awareness of where he is on the field and where he remains protected. Sort of like what our WR's need to learn to do in finding or identifying soft spots in DEF's they face.

the issue i have with this is that lamar since his first years in college has always been a better passer from in the pocket than on the move - he's got better on the move but id still prefer to design a passing game based on him staying in the pocket

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
If you can't apply pressure while having the best secondary it doesn't matter. Passing teams will always have an advantage.
its 2021 and analytics basically confirm that the truth is actually the exact opposite.

the average time to throw is lower than ever.

blitz packages are being absolutely shredded on a regular basis and 4 man rush reigns supreme because coverage is king.

better secondary talent typically correlates to higher ranked pass defenses, moreso than pass rush.

you need a balance of both, but in 2021 when basically every team but the chiefs want to release the ball quicker, the secondary is where every team needs to be talented and deep, aside from being able to stop the run with a 7 man box, its the first step to an elite defense that can beat the top super bowl contending offenses.

its 2021 and analytics basically confirm that the truth is actually the exact opposite.

the average time to throw is lower than ever.

blitz packages are being absolutely shredded on a regular basis and 4 man rush reigns supreme because coverage is king.

better secondary talent typically correlates to higher ranked pass defenses, moreso than pass rush.

you need a balance of both, but in 2021 when basically every team but the chiefs want to release the ball quicker, the secondary is where every team needs to be talented and deep, aside from being able to stop the run with a 7 man box, its the first step to an elite defense that can beat the top super bowl contending offenses.
The issue is that we have to beat the Chiefs and there's no way around it. Mahomes is perfectly happy waiting for guys to get open. Without a good 4 man pass rush we're toast no matter how good the secondary is.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
The issue is that we have to beat the Chiefs and there's no way around it. Mahomes is perfectly happy waiting for guys to get open. Without a good 4 man pass rush we're toast no matter how good the secondary is.
Pat mahomes puts himself in the laps of the pass rush at an alarming rate lol. And if you’re implying your defense can stop mahomes with a weak secondary, you’re wrong. Pass rush alone isn’t gonna stop or even slow mahomes, Andy Reid is content with throwing screens to hill and hardman and CEH, and quick routes to kelce.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Pat mahomes puts himself in the laps of the pass rush at an alarming rate lol. And if you’re implying your defense can stop mahomes with a weak secondary, you’re wrong. Pass rush alone isn’t gonna stop or even slow mahomes, Andy Reid is content with throwing screens to hill and hardman and CEH, and quick routes to kelce.
Nobody is perfect. If you want to stand a chance against Mahomes, Reid and the Chiefs you absolutely have to limit big chunk plays. The more you have to pass the ball the more likely you make mistakes -> you have to force errors. And I believe that single high safety coverage will not stop them. You can't give them space to operate with. Nothing is more demoralizing than watching them cruise down the field in 1-3 plays.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Look no further than our 2014 defense which is quite literally the inverted version of our 2018-current defense.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Nobody is perfect. If you want to stand a chance against Mahomes, Reid and the Chiefs you absolutely have to limit big chunk plays. The more you have to pass the ball the more likely you make mistakes -> you have to force errors. And I believe that single high safety coverage will not stop them. You can't give them space to operate with. Nothing is more demoralizing than watching them cruise down the field in 1-3 plays.
And the way to do that is to play top down and double their playmakers, they can beat you with Watkins and hardman, but if you force them to beat you with Watkins and hardman well that’s the closest thing to being on the right track, if you let kelce and hill run then you can just hop on the bus at halftime and go home.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
man that pass rush was insanely good - sizzle, doom and mcphee with ngata up front and courtney upshaw spelling doom on running downs to keep him fresh
But holy shit was our secondary sorry as the season waned. Signing dudes off the street and whatnot. Add that pass-rush to THIS secondary when healthy and it's curtains.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

Looks like Big Ben coming back for 2021 is a lock. Says he is willing to to restructure and take significant pay cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bro can you read? Where did I say pass rush alone will stop him? I said there needs to be good pass rush and secondary play. We don’t have a good pass rush.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Bro can you read? Where did I say pass rush alone will stop him? I said there needs to be good pass rush and secondary play. We don’t have a good pass rush.
Sheesh, someone is cranky

JAAM

Hall of Famer

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
man that pass rush was insanely good - sizzle, doom and mcphee with ngata up front and courtney upshaw spelling doom on running downs to keep him fresh
That was when I began believing secondary was more important than pass rush. That damn patriots game crushed me man, I think the way that team was humming, if they had a healthy jimmy and Webb they would have absolutely rolled to a super bowl, that would’ve been probably the best looking team of harbs career had we had a healthy secondary to finish the season.