• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Oh a 1st is almost assured. I would expect it to be a 1st and then something else. You are holding a young player who is already a 2x pro bowler, if he were a 1st round pick his 5th year option would be franchise tag level numbers. I would expect something along the lines of what the other game-changing players got when they were traded (Adams, Tunsil, Ramsay, etc) because that is what they have. They have a top tier young player at a position EVERYONE needs.

I can’t believe we would trade a young, proven player, for draft capital. His lack of leverage will keep him in Baltimore and playing RT for atleast one more year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I can’t believe we would trade a young, proven player, for draft capital. His lack of leverage will keep him in Baltimore and playing RT for atleast one more year

But after that he leaves and all the Ravens get is a 3rd round comp. Is one year of a young, proven player really worth giving up possibly multiple first round picks? I take the picks everytime and use them to build (could even draft his replacement with them and then hopefully another difference maker).

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
But after that he leaves and all the Ravens get is a 3rd round comp. Is one year of a young, proven player really worth giving up possibly multiple first round picks? I take the picks everytime and use them to build (could even draft his replacement with them and then hopefully another difference maker).

We could franchise and trade. The RT tag price is 13 million. Maybe even have him play at that price if we’re still in our super bowl window. Not ideal but possible

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
We could franchise and trade. The RT tag price is 13 million. Maybe even have him play at that price if we’re still in our super bowl window. Not ideal but possible

There is no RT franchise tag, only OL. Last year I believe that number was 15 million, but will likely go up of course (especially as that will be two year old data by then) as the new extensions kick in (both Stanley and Tunsil for example).

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
There is no RT franchise tag, only OL. Last year I believe that number was 15 million, but will likely go up of course (especially as that will be two year old data by then) as the new extensions kick in (both Stanley and Tunsil for example).

I know it’s only an Oline tag and it will without a doubt be going down because of the lowered cap.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I know it’s only an Oline tag and it will without a doubt be going down because of the lowered cap.

Except he wont be under the tag next year, he will be under it in 2 years where the cap will be exploding and the franchise is based on the current year that the tag will apply (based on the top 5 salaries in April). That number will 100% be higher than it is right now if only because of Tunsil and Stanley and any other who will sign and will likely have their cap numbers pushed onto 2023 in order to fit under next years cap.

Basically next offseason will likely be the WORST possible offseason to franchise tag someone.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Except he wont be under the tag next year, he will be under it in 2 years where the cap will be exploding and the franchise is based on the current year that the tag will apply (based on the top 5 salaries in April). That number will 100% be higher than it is right now if only because of Tunsil and Stanley and any other who will sign and will likely have their cap numbers pushed onto 2023 in order to fit under next years cap.

Basically next offseason will likely be the WORST possible offseason to franchise tag someone.

tunsil's contract will already be factored into the tag numbers

the issue is that completely under the radar (in terms of blowing up the numbers - david bakhtiari actually became the highest avg/yr when he signed his deal this season)

so his and ronnie's deals would be added which by my best guess i think is going to increase the tag number by a bit less than 2m

that being said the calculation is a bit more complicated as it does actually take salary cap into account - overthecap projects the OL tag number this year to be lower than last year's - unless the cap massively increases next year (in which case cap space will be easier to come by) it's unlikely the OL number will balloon because there's no obvious candidates for massive extensions between now and the 2022 offseason

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
tunsil's contract will already be factored into the tag numbers

the issue is that completely under the radar (in terms of blowing up the numbers - david bakhtiari actually became the highest avg/yr when he signed his deal this season)

so his and ronnie's deals would be added which by my best guess i think is going to increase the tag number by a bit less than 2m

that being said the calculation is a bit more complicated as it does actually take salary cap into account - overthecap projects the OL tag number this year to be lower than last year's - unless the cap massively increases next year (in which case cap space will be easier to come by) it's unlikely the OL number will balloon because there's no obvious candidates for massive extensions between now and the 2022 offseason

I don't think it goes down much this offseason, but I do think some teams are going to try and get cute to get under the cap by trying to get players to sign deals that are heavier next year versus this year (or do reworks to that effect).

Either way that cap number will not be lower than it is now for sure and likely at least 2m higher which also means that the best time to trade Brown is right now. Now is when you can grab either multiple 1s or a 1 and a player etc because this is a franchise LT at a time when every team seemingly needs them.

Simba

Staff Member
I don't think it goes down much this offseason, but I do think some teams are going to try and get cute to get under the cap by trying to get players to sign deals that are heavier next year versus this year (or do reworks to that effect).

Either way that cap number will not be lower than it is now for sure and likely at least 2m higher which also means that the best time to trade Brown is right now. Now is when you can grab either multiple 1s or a 1 and a player etc because this is a franchise LT at a time when every team seemingly needs them.

Why is it assumed we can get multiple 1s out of this? I think a 1 is absolutely where the conversation starts but that's not sure thing, either. Making that trade requires a team to give up high draft capital AND a huge contract. Is that even tenable with this years cap, especially in a really deep OT draft? It's hard to say that a viable trade market even develops at this point. No doubt people will be calling but it's not like this is some guarantee.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Why is it assumed we can get multiple 1s out of this? I think a 1 is absolutely where the conversation starts but that's not sure thing, either. Making that trade requires a team to give up high draft capital AND a huge contract. Is that even tenable with this years cap, especially in a really deep OT draft? It's hard to say that a viable trade market even develops at this point. No doubt people will be calling but it's not like this is some guarantee.

idk but if it's not a 1 + additional stuff (be that another 1 or a combination of other picks idk) but if we're not getting more than just a 1st round pick out of it im not sure why we'd do it...

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

Of course it is because any contract is an extension (like every other FA contract) so the cap hit this year would be minimal.

As for why its multiple 1s, well look at every single time a multi pro bowl player on his rookie deal has been traded and you see a constant theme of multiple 1s. If they trade him for less than that then they gave him away for far less then he is worth.

Simba

Staff Member
Of course it is because any contract is an extension (like every other FA contract) so the cap hit this year would be minimal.

As for why its multiple 1s, well look at every single time a multi pro bowl player on his rookie deal has been traded and you see a constant theme of multiple 1s. If they trade him for less than that then they gave him away for far less then he is worth.

I still think it's a bit "biased" for lack of a better term. We like the sound of it because it greatly benefits us as far as the return goes. We get premium picks for a guy that is likely walking anyways.

But what if it was the reverse? What if we were the team trying to give up premium picks for a guy to only turn around pay him huge money? I'd be willing to bet the reaction around here would be the exact opposite.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I still think it's a bit "biased" for lack of a better term. We like the sound of it because it greatly benefits us as far as the return goes. We get premium picks for a guy that is likely walking anyways.

But what if it was the reverse? What if we were the team trying to give up premium picks for a guy to only turn around pay him huge money? I'd be willing to bet the reaction around here would be the exact opposite.

I mean the team that trades has him for 3 seasons with tag, but will almost certainly pay him. This is basically the exact situation that Ramsay, Mack, Tunsil, and Adams all were in. They were not likely to be extended by their organization and were either known as elite or were multi pro bowl players. The Ravens have a premium player who has significant trade value who they know they will not be able to sign. This is 1st round pick+ written all over it.

Simba

Staff Member
I mean the team that trades has him for 3 seasons with tag, but will almost certainly pay him. This is basically the exact situation that Ramsay, Mack, Tunsil, and Adams all were in. They were not likely to be extended by their organization and were either known as elite or were multi pro bowl players. The Ravens have a premium player who has significant trade value who they know they will not be able to sign. This is 1st round pick+ written all over it.

I mean, I don't think those guys are necessarily a fair comparison. We're talking pure superstar level there whereas OBJ is a really good player, but not at that level. I struggle to even include Tunsil in these discussions considering BOB blew the market up for several players in both directions, so can't necessarily call that a good barometer.

For what it's worth, I'm not completely doubting that an offer of a 1 would come in, but I still don't believe it's that cut and dry. There are a lot of things at play this year that aren't in play in typical years. If we get that offer, I'd jump on it. I'm just not completely sold on it happening.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

tbf it's only 2 seasons with tag... he's only got 1 year left on his deal (unless you're saying they'd tag twice...)

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I mean, I don't think those guys are necessarily a fair comparison. We're talking pure superstar level there whereas OBJ is a really good player, but not at that level. I struggle to even include Tunsil in these discussions considering BOB blew the market up for several players in both directions, so can't necessarily call that a good barometer.

For what it's worth, I'm not completely doubting that an offer of a 1 would come in, but I still don't believe it's that cut and dry. There are a lot of things at play this year that aren't in play in typical years. If we get that offer, I'd jump on it. I'm just not completely sold on it happening.
I'm not sold on it happening for the simplest of reasons... we're trying to win.

A lot of these types of trades happen on teams who aren't trying to win. Tunsil was on a garbage team. So was Adams, Ramsey and Mack. I'm not saying its impossible that a good team will trade away a great player, but one of the reasons you keep a guy like Brown for 2021 is because he can be a key piece of you winning a lot of football games, and potentially, competing for a Lombardi.

If things go south in the middle of the season, sure, I'd put him on the block ASAP.

Simba

Staff Member
I'm not sold on it happening for the simplest of reasons... we're trying to win.

A lot of these types of trades happen on teams who aren't trying to win. Tunsil was on a garbage team. So was Adams, Ramsey and Mack. I'm not saying its impossible that a good team will trade away a great player, but one of the reasons you keep a guy like Brown for 2021 is because he can be a key piece of you winning a lot of football games, and potentially, competing for a Lombardi.

If things go south in the middle of the season, sure, I'd put him on the block ASAP.

I agree with this too. I have my doubts that this relationship is irreparable. Brown might want to play LT but what leverage does he really have? Last year of his rookie deal and sitting out isn't going to earn him more money. This isn't a guy with a huge contract already on the books trying to get the next big one.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I agree with this too. I have my doubts that this relationship is irreparable. Brown might want to play LT but what leverage does he really have? Last year of his rookie deal and sitting out isn't going to earn him more money. This isn't a guy with a huge contract already on the books trying to get the next big one.

i mean honestly there's no actual evidence that the relationship even needs repairing in the first place let alone being irreparable

Simba

Staff Member
i mean honestly there's no actual evidence that the relationship even needs repairing in the first place let alone being irreparable

Also very fair. We've only got *** reports and a vague tweet from OBJ himself to go on. I'm sure he wants to play LT and he wants that LT money, and he's going to get it at some point whether it's here or somewhere else.

Simba

Staff Member
I know these are mostly the uneducated fan types, but it's hilarious seeing all of the people saying to trade Ronnie instead. Ronnie was arguably the best lineman in football last year. How quickly people forget.