• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

JAAM

Hall of Famer
seems odd that they would give us so much extra after that even player swap. the swap and third makes it so one sided
Oh I no I meant a deal separate from the Thielen swap unless I’m misunderstanding what you’re saying

Simba

Staff Member
Something tells me Orlando will be a Viking, and I think EDC will really try to grab Thielen, or at the very least, a swap of firsts and a third from them. I do want Thielen though. He’s relatively cheap this season.

Thielen has a tough contract to absorb though, and it'd really kick the can down the road. About a $12M cap hit this year but still 3 years left on the deal after 2021. You could theoretically convert some of that into a signing bonus and lower the amount this year, but then it depends how you feel about his contract expiring at age 34 with dead money to be had at some point before then most likely.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Thielen has a tough contract to absorb though, and it'd really kick the can down the road. About a $12M cap hit this year but still 3 years left on the deal after 2021. You could theoretically convert some of that into a signing bonus and lower the amount this year, but then it depends how you feel about his contract expiring at age 34 with dead money to be had at some point before then most likely.

we're not gonna be player-swapping in an orlando trade methinks - it'll be picks or gtfoh

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Something tells me Orlando will be a Viking, and I think EDC will really try to grab Thielen, or at the very least, a swap of firsts and a third from them. I do want Thielen though. He’s relatively cheap this season.

would much rather that 2nd option than the 1st

a pick swap that gets us the 14th pick and another day 2 pick would be amazing

you're either getting a very high quality prospect there or you've got the ability to trade down and pick up tons of extra picks while still picking up a top talent (would require a team to want to come up and grab someone)

Simba

Staff Member
we're not gonna be player-swapping in an orlando trade methinks - it'll be picks or gtfoh

The only way I'd hypothetically take a player swap is if a team called us with a position of need with a similar contract status and it made sense. Not saying him in particular, but Michael Gallup is a good example. Now, in this scenario, I'd want more than Gallup, but just throwing something out there.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
would much rather that 2nd option than the 1st

a pick swap that gets us the 14th pick and another day 2 pick would be amazing

you're either getting a very high quality prospect there or you've got the ability to trade down and pick up tons of extra picks while still picking up a top talent (would require a team to want to come up and grab someone)
Ditto. Just saw it being floated around on Twitter and I love Thielen, but I’d rather take the pick swap and pick up Marvin Jones

JAAM

Hall of Famer
The only way I'd hypothetically take a player swap is if a team called us with a position of need with a similar contract status and it made sense. Not saying him in particular, but Michael Gallup is a good example. Now, in this scenario, I'd want more than Gallup, but just throwing something out there.
This is really good. Any talented WRs on their rookie contracts on a team in need of a LT? Lol

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

I do not even know if I would value Gallop higher than a 3rd so it would basically be Gallop and a 1 or high 2 to get a deal done. I do not think he is bad but I am hesitant about the fact that he is already the 3rd best WR on a loaded WR group and that his production dropped off a cliff without Dak.

Simba

Staff Member
I do not even know if I would value Gallop higher than a 3rd so it would basically be Gallop and a 1 or high 2 to get a deal done. I do not think he is bad but I am hesitant about the fact that he is already the 3rd best WR on a loaded WR group and that his production dropped off a cliff without Dak.

I'll clarify again that I don't mean him specifically... just an example of a player off the top of my head that is in a similar contract situation. Really looking at guys from the 2018 draft to put it in simpler terms.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Ditto. Just saw it being floated around on Twitter and I love Thielen, but I’d rather take the pick swap and pick up Marvin Jones

i dont always buy into the trade chart values

but let's say that the Vikings give us 14 and 78 for 27 and Orlando - then we'd be according to trade charts be recouping value back equivalent to getting the 30th pick (basically would be swapping Orlando for a late 1st rounder in terms of value)

but the extra value there is the option of being able to grab a blue-chip talent (that we'd normally never have a chance at) at a premier position or if those blue-chip guys are all gone then you trade down and pick up tons of picks (it's going to be a very rare scenario where trading down isn't a good move in value terms)

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't see a team giving up a 1 (or at least not a 2021 1), and I certainly don't see a team giving up a 1 and a cheap, productive player.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

haha what - i mean i get it - you can't really afford to keep him

but this means that not 1 of the starting OL for the Chiefs last year will be returning given that Kelechi Osemele and Mike Remmers are both also free agents

they'll likely get Duvernay-Tardiff back in the lineup after he opted-out to help with Covid as a doctor in Canada which will help obviously
and they've got Lucas Niang who was a rookie 3rd round pick last year who opted-out (who i really liked in the draft) probably pencilled in at RT

but that's it right now - even one of their primary backups is a free agent

rossihunter2

Staff Member

a good point from the packers cap twitter guru (the packers version of Brian McFarland)

also why even superbowl winning teams should probably shouldn't ever spend a 1st round pick on a running back...

depending how this chiefs offseason goes we might finally get an apples to apples comparison for mahomes behind a rag-tag OL that cannot keep him protected just like we've seen recently with Watson, Lamar, Wilson and some others

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
5th year option amounts are out for 2018 draft picks.

Lamar set to cost $23M in 2022, barring an extension. And those amounts are now FULLY guaranteed.

Simba

Staff Member

pretty ok payday for Mark all things being considered - don't like him walking into that garbage fire but nice to see him get picked up before the start of free agency

Probably why he got what he did honestly - Culley knows what leadership he can bring to a team that really needs it. Gotta imagine they hope he can unite that locker room.

JO_75

Hall of Famer

haha what - i mean i get it - you can't really afford to keep him

but this means that not 1 of the starting OL for the Chiefs last year will be returning given that Kelechi Osemele and Mike Remmers are both also free agents

they'll likely get Duvernay-Tardiff back in the lineup after he opted-out to help with Covid as a doctor in Canada which will help obviously
and they've got Lucas Niang who was a rookie 3rd round pick last year who opted-out (who i really liked in the draft) probably pencilled in at RT

but that's it right now - even one of their primary backups is a free agent

Their OL is going to be toast lol. I wonder if Reiter would be an option for us.