• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rossihunter2

Staff Member
True, but his value on the trade market will be a bit lower in 2021 compared to 2020. If you trade for him next year, you're paying the 5th year option, which will at least be in the $10-11M range (not 100% sure what anticipated price is). While Adams could probably get $15-16M on the open market, paying him $10-12M isn't that big of a bargain.

The bargain would be trading for him now and paying him chump change, which is what he is due this year.

Entirely possible they wait or don't trade him at all, but in my opinion, his trade value doesn't get any higher than it would be right now.

i meant it more in the sense that in a year's time he and they might feel very differently about his prospects of staying beyond his 5th year - if this was him going into the 5th year already they'd probably feel pretty bad about their chances to re-sign him so might want to recoup as much value as possible now whereas with 2 years of control left for a player of his talent they probably should be hopeful that they can rebuild/turn around that relationship to the extent that they re-sign him

i mean there was a stretch after the whole trade request palaver in the media where Adams went on an absolute tear and looked like the best safety in the league - i just dont think a team wants to get rid of a player like that

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Maybe it's just me, but I'd break the bank for the best SS in the league who can cover anyone and play the run. Dude isn't even in prime yet. Still on his rookie contract and his very affordable until we have to pay him (which I still would). Then go out and get Chris Jones if he hits the market and draft some edge guys/more WRs in a packed WR class. EDC is going to be extremely aggressive this offseason, and players WANT to play with Lamar and be apart of our culture. We should have no problem whatsoever recruiting some big names. I still want Robby Anderson though. I want Lamar to develop a beautiful deep ball.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
So, just so I understand...

This offseason, you want us to trade substantial assets to bring in Jamal Adams, and are willing to pay market value for him (at least $14-15M a year), sign Chris Jones, who will easily be an $18-20M player, sign Robert Quinn, who will be a $10-12M player, and sign Robbie Anderson, who will at least be a $10-12M player.

If I simply took the low end of the latter three, that's about $38M in spend, and I could see that being upwards of $45-50M. The low end of that range is about $10M more than we have to spend currently.

That means there's no scenario possible where we retain Judon, Jimmy, Carr or Pierce. We now have extremely limited depth at Corner, we could potentially need a starting Guard (or two), and still need about 4 more linebackers (both inside and outside).

And if we just signed Robby Anderson, why are we investing heavily in WR in the draft? Any guy you draft, no matter who it is, becomes like your 4th option, at best, in a run-heavy offense that doesn't rate to be able to feed 4 mouths in a passing game very often.

I think if you managed to land even ONE of those four players you listed, it would be a good day. Landing two of them would be a miracle.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yes and I think he could be very affordable and use him only on passing situations.
Define affordable?

I don't think he signs for anything less than $10M a year. Very weak market for edge rushers, and he'll be reasonable aged at 30, and is coming off a strong year.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Define affordable?

I don't think he signs for anything less than $10M a year. Very weak market for edge rushers, and he'll be reasonable aged at 30, and is coming off a strong year.

10 mil sounds good. If we can keep it flatlined he's what we need on the edge and he's proven.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
So, just so I understand...

This offseason, you want us to trade substantial assets to bring in Jamal Adams, and are willing to pay market value for him (at least $14-15M a year), sign Chris Jones, who will easily be an $18-20M player, sign Robert Quinn, who will be a $10-12M player, and sign Robbie Anderson, who will at least be a $10-12M player.

If I simply took the low end of the latter three, that's about $38M in spend, and I could see that being upwards of $45-50M. The low end of that range is about $10M more than we have to spend currently.

That means there's no scenario possible where we retain Judon, Jimmy, Carr or Pierce. We now have extremely limited depth at Corner, we could potentially need a starting Guard (or two), and still need about 4 more linebackers (both inside and outside).

And if we just signed Robby Anderson, why are we investing heavily in WR in the draft? Any guy you draft, no matter who it is, becomes like your 4th option, at best, in a run-heavy offense that doesn't rate to be able to feed 4 mouths in a passing game very often.

I think if you managed to land even ONE of those four players you listed, it would be a good day. Landing two of them would be a miracle.
Good lord. I just said I’d be interested in Robert Quinn. I didn’t say to build a Madden Ultimate Team. Relax there buddy. I’m suggesting players I’m interested in. I never said I want all of them, not that it’s even feasible.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I wouldn't mind the idea of getting AJ Green. Hes 32 and probably still has a couple years in him. His game never really relied on separation much so his age doesn't concern me too much. Comming off injury and with his age I dont think hed cost too much and we have a track record of signing WRs who are coming to the end of their careers. I think itd be a perfect fit honestly

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Good lord. I just said I’d be interested in Robert Quinn. I didn’t say to build a Madden Ultimate Team. Relax there buddy. I’m suggesting players I’m interested in. I never said I want all of them, not that it’s even feasible.
You did say you want Adams, Jones and Robby Anderson. So even if you say you're only "interested" in Quinn, its still unrealistic to expect we'd land those three players.

I mean my wish list is Mahomes, Donald, and Julio Jones. But there's no scenario where any of those guys are Ravens next year, so I've moved on to a more realistic wish list.

Like I said... getting even ONE of those guys would be impressive.

Last edited:

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
10 mil sounds good. If we can keep it flatlined he's what we need on the edge and he's proven.
I think that's the floor, and I also don't think it sounds that good to me. I don't think he's an upgrade on Judon, and I certainly would expect him to play more than just passing downs if I brought him in there at that price.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I wouldn't mind the idea of getting AJ Green. Hes 32 and probably still has a couple years in him. His game never really relied on separation much so his age doesn't concern me too much. Comming off injury and with his age I dont think hed cost too much and we have a track record of signing WRs who are coming to the end of their careers. I think itd be a perfect fit honestly
Expectation is the Bengals, who always have plenty of cap space, will either extend him or franchise him. Franchise would cost like $18.5M.

I think even with the injury risks, he's still probably a $15-16M a year player or more on the open market, which I think is way out of our price range for WRs in my eyes.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Expectation is the Bengals, who always have plenty of cap space, will either extend him or franchise him. Franchise would cost like $18.5M.

I think even with the injury risks, he's still probably a $15-16M a year player or more on the open market, which I think is way out of our price range for WRs in my eyes.

there'll be a huge market for him even with the injuries even with being 32 - he's going to get paid even if its a short deal - i just dont think its realistic for him to come here even if both sides wanted it

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
there'll be a huge market for him even with the injuries even with being 32 - he's going to get paid even if its a short deal - i just dont think its realistic for him to come here even if both sides wanted it
I don't want him here even at 10m. We have other needs we need to use the cap space on.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think that's the floor, and I also don't think it sounds that good to me. I don't think he's an upgrade on Judon, and I certainly would expect him to play more than just passing downs if I brought him in there at that price.

Im not saying he's an upgrade on Judon but whats Judon gonna cost? What if we lose him? I've always liked Quinn especially his years with the Rams and we need pass rush. His snap total would be less but he has tons of experience getting after the QB. A lot Judon's sacks came cuz of coverage sacks. Personally I would like both and our most pressing needs are in the front 7 on D.

I may have missed it but what are your plans for free agency to set up for the draft? Right now I'm hoping for a great sophomore jump from Ferguson and we also have Bowser returning but jeez I'm not banking on this.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Falcons announce that they will not be negotiating with free agent to be Vic Beasley.

That wouldn't be a bad pickup and cheaper than others.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
He’s Shane Ray to me. Sign him on a veteran minimum deal to compete but he doesn’t factor into our plans. He’s JAG.
I think it'll be very interesting to see how teams value him on the open market.

I definitely think he'll get more than a vet-minimum deal, but he's definitely in that second group of rushers.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He’s Shane Ray to me. Sign him on a veteran minimum deal to compete but he doesn’t factor into our plans. He’s JAG.

he's definitely a JAG - i think a team still pays him based off the numbers but he's not a pressure creator at all - and his 15 sack season was a massive outlier with lots of long-developing sacks with low pressures

one of the most useful PFF grades is Beasley's from that year because despite the huge sack numbers he graded lower and the reason is because he doesnt win a lot but that year he got a lot of finishes but they were expected plays based on the way the plays played out so he got +0.5 at best on some of them rather than +1 or +2

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think it'll be very interesting to see how teams value him on the open market.

I definitely think he'll get more than a vet-minimum deal, but he's definitely in that second group of rushers.
he's definitely a JAG - i think a team still pays him based off the numbers but he's not a pressure creator at all - and his 15 sack season was a massive outlier with lots of long-developing sacks with low pressures

one of the most useful PFF grades is Beasley's from that year because despite the huge sack numbers he graded lower and the reason is because he doesnt win a lot but that year he got a lot of finishes but they were expected plays based on the way the plays played out so he got +0.5 at best on some of them rather than +1 or +2
Good chance he does get a decent deal above vet minimum but I wouldn’t do it nor would I want the Ravens to do it. I’d rather re-sign Levine than sign Beasley on those circumstances.