• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Looks like Shaquil Barrett wants to stay in Tampa and is considering the tax he would pay and would take less to stay in Tampa. He also is not a fan of moving either, so it seems he wants to stay in Tampa. I was hoping he would be available and be willing to take less to play for us but I guess he wouldn't even consider us.

“If [other teams] offer me more than Tampa, I’m going to look at the places, if they offer me more than Tampa, I’m going to look at what their taxes is compared to Tampa’s,” Barrett told Chris “Mad Dog” Russo during Super Bowl week in Miami, via JoeBucsFan.com. “Because I ain’t going to live in L.A. and get taxed crazy.”

In Florida, Barrett pays no state income tax. In California, he’d pay 13.3 percent.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ett-is-willing-to-take-less-to-stay-in-tampa/

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Looks like Shaquil Barrett wants to stay in Tampa and is considering the tax he would pay and would take less to stay in Tampa. He also is not a fan of moving either, so it seems he wants to stay in Tampa. I was hoping he would be available and be willing to take less to play for us but I guess he wouldn't even consider us.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ett-is-willing-to-take-less-to-stay-in-tampa/

tampa will make him a better offer than anywhere else anyway to keep him most likely - dont see how they let him out of the building

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Chuck Clark 3 year extension, maybe premature, but maybe also a big saver if he has a breakout 2020. Love what decosta is doing so far

RavensFan419

Pro Bowler
Chuck Clark 3 year extension, maybe premature, but maybe also a big saver if he has a breakout 2020. Love what decosta is doing so far
I’ve noticed a lot of 3 year deals does anyone else think this is a plan all based around the window around Lamars rookie contract??? Like we have a three year window then after that we will reevaluate the situation I think it’s smart gives us a window of core pieces then we can revamp the team if it doesn’t work out but maybe I’m reading too far into it

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I’ve noticed a lot of 3 year deals does anyone else think this is a plan all based around the window around Lamars rookie contract??? Like we have a three year window then after that we will reevaluate the situation I think it’s smart gives us a window of core pieces then we can revamp the team if it doesn’t work out but maybe I’m reading too far into it

tbf this is a 3 year extension which likely means its adding to the year he had left

and i honestly dont think its anything to do with lamar's rookie contract because we are likely going to have to pay him at some point in the next 2 offseasons - no way he gets to his 5th year without a new contract - he might not even get to his 4th year without a new contract

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
tbf this is a 3 year extension which likely means its adding to the year he had left

and i honestly dont think its anything to do with lamar's rookie contract because we are likely going to have to pay him at some point in the next 2 offseasons - no way he gets to his 5th year without a new contract - he might not even get to his 4th year without a new contract
Maybe, but QBs getting paid early isn't exactly a popular thing.

He'll have the 5th year option available to him, so my guess is the offseason prior to his 5th season is the year where we'll discuss contract extensions. When you factor in the franchise tag, which would certainly be an option, it can delay that a bit as well.

The reality with Lamar is... its early. If he does have a significant injury to his legs in the next 2-3 years, that can certainly hit the pause button on everything.

My best guess is there will be some preliminary discussions after the 2021 season.

RavensFan419

Pro Bowler
The extension was for 15.3 mil over the three years I don’t know a whole lot about how much safeties are worth but 5.1 mil a year seems low isn’t it?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Maybe, but QBs getting paid early isn't exactly a popular thing.

He'll have the 5th year option available to him, so my guess is the offseason prior to his 5th season is the year where we'll discuss contract extensions. When you factor in the franchise tag, which would certainly be an option, it can delay that a bit as well.

The reality with Lamar is... its early. If he does have a significant injury to his legs in the next 2-3 years, that can certainly hit the pause button on everything.

My best guess is there will be some preliminary discussions after the 2021 season.

this offseason is likely going to be a big indicator - if watson or mahomes get re-upped it'll be hard for us not to extend lamar after year 3 - the other factor though is that if mahomes and watson do not get signed this offseason and lamar balls out another year it would be in our best interests to try and sign him next offseason before the mahomes and watson contract numbers come in because he who gets paid last gets paid the most

RavensFan419

Pro Bowler
I know he hasn’t had like a breakout crazy season but he was very solid this season you’d figure he would bet on himself but I guess anything can happen

rossihunter2

Staff Member
there's a 3m disparity between schefter and rapsheet so its either 4m average over 4 years or just under 5m average over 4 years

either way we get for that modest price, we get 4 years of play from a starting safety who fits our scheme, we get 4 years of continuity with the headset and additional (and continued) package flexibility because of the fact that chuck as a safety is calling the plays and not a mike LB, we get a player who plays 100% of the defensive snaps and also is a great special teams player for us (assuming he still gets snaps there) but also has positional flexibility with all these packages to allow us to get favourable matchups

absolute bargain

JAAM

Hall of Famer
LOVE this. Marks the end for TJ. Now please put all of our focus on the front 7 and WRs.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
really happy they did this. He would become a free agent next season and it's the right time to do this.