• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
this offseason is likely going to be a big indicator - if watson or mahomes get re-upped it'll be hard for us not to extend lamar after year 3 - the other factor though is that if mahomes and watson do not get signed this offseason and lamar balls out another year it would be in our best interests to try and sign him next offseason before the mahomes and watson contract numbers come in because he who gets paid last gets paid the most
I know there's plenty of public discussion about those guys, but I'd be shocked to see either sign an extension this offseason. I know they can, I just ultimately don't think they will.

The main reason for the delay, to me, is that there isn't a current CBA for 2021. Could easily change, but I don't think NFL teams are going to be interested in signing the size of contracts those guys are going to command a year before what could potentially be an uncapped year, and a year before both sides understand what the new revenue split will be.

I also think, naturally, Lamar is quite a bit "riskier" than both of those players at this point, and so the organization may want to see an additional year or two of him (especially from a health standpoint) before they commit.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I know there's plenty of public discussion about those guys, but I'd be shocked to see either sign an extension this offseason. I know they can, I just ultimately don't think they will.

The main reason for the delay, to me, is that there isn't a current CBA for 2021. Could easily change, but I don't think NFL teams are going to be interested in signing the size of contracts those guys are going to command a year before what could potentially be an uncapped year, and a year before both sides understand what the new revenue split will be.

I also think, naturally, Lamar is quite a bit "riskier" than both of those players at this point, and so the organization may want to see an additional year or two of him (especially from a health standpoint) before they commit.

you're absolutely right about the CBA with regards to mahomes and watson - not sure it really impacts lamar unless it drags on though

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
you're absolutely right about the CBA with regards to mahomes and watson - not sure it really impacts lamar unless it drags on though
Agree. I think its more of the notion of setting the "precedent" of a franchise QB signing a lucrative deal after year 3 of a rookie deal. I think if it were a non-1st round QB, like Dak, I could see it.

But generally, even with these elite guys, I think they'll wait until after year 4, especially with the 5th year option and franchise tags readily available.

Agree. I think its more of the notion of setting the "precedent" of a franchise QB signing a lucrative deal after year 3 of a rookie deal. I think if it were a non-1st round QB, like Dak, I could see it.

But generally, even with these elite guys, I think they'll wait until after year 4, especially with the 5th year option and franchise tags readily available.
I still think you guys were the best team in football this year.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
there's a 3m disparity between schefter and rapsheet so its either 4m average over 4 years or just under 5m average over 4 years

either way we get for that modest price, we get 4 years of play from a starting safety who fits our scheme, we get 4 years of continuity with the headset and additional (and continued) package flexibility because of the fact that chuck as a safety is calling the plays and not a mike LB, we get a player who plays 100% of the defensive snaps and also is a great special teams player for us (assuming he still gets snaps there) but also has positional flexibility with all these packages to allow us to get favourable matchups

absolute bargain
but secondary is a SnEaKy NeEd In BaLtImOrE

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I didn't know this.. this is great

"He led the Ravens with 73 tackles while garnering PFF's 11th-best coverage grade out of 92 positional qualifiers."

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
LOVE this. Marks the end for TJ. Now please put all of our focus on the front 7 and WRs.
And OL.

We have to stop kicking the can down the road, skura is likely done, yanda has at most 1 year left, if that, and the cupboard is bare.

with our franchise qb, I’d say OL should be the priority, especially with such a weak defensive class. I’d say on days 1 and 2 IOL is considerably stronger than edge/LB, and this DL/LB class is looking respectable.

we need to attack WR and OL in the draft, and make every effort to sign a DT and ILB, there isn’t much hope at edge in either the draft or FA, so we may just need to suffer there for another year and hope for the best with Ferguson and bowser, and pull out all the stops next year to make the move at edge, when we comfortably have the offense settled in.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Imo was a bad signing from the get go
I really liked TJ. Just was never a good fit here. Became super soft the last couple of years and couldn't cover anything. He'll latch on somewhere, just needs to find the right system. Love him as a person/character and wish him the best.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
And OL.

We have to stop kicking the can down the road, skura is likely done, yanda has at most 1 year left, if that, and the cupboard is bare.

with our franchise qb, I’d say OL should be the priority, especially with such a weak defensive class. I’d say on days 1 and 2 IOL is considerably stronger than edge/LB, and this DL/LB class is looking respectable.

we need to attack WR and OL in the draft, and make every effort to sign a DT and ILB, there isn’t much hope at edge in either the draft or FA, so we may just need to suffer there for another year and hope for the best with Ferguson and bowser, and pull out all the stops next year to make the move at edge, when we comfortably have the offense settled in.
Great points. I know I've said this ad nauseam, sorry @rmcjacket23, but man, if we can pry away a premier pass rusher, even at the end of his prime via trade, I really hope we do it, a la Elvis. Everyone and their mom knows who I want (Chris Jones), but it ain't happening. Hell, if Calais is a cap casualty, we'd probably hop on that ASAP. Going to be a really fun offseason. I've changed my tune about drafting a WR instead of signing or trading for one, unless someone unexpected and cheap becomes available. We can't go into next year with Boykin as our 3. Don't know Seth's contract (one year deal?), but we need more playmakers on the outside, at least ones that can catch the ball in clutch situations.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Great points. I know I've said this ad nauseam, sorry @rmcjacket23, but man, if we can pry away a premier pass rusher, even at the end of his prime via trade, I really hope we do it, a la Elvis. Everyone and their mom knows who I want (Chris Jones), but it ain't happening. Hell, if Calais is a cap casualty, we'd probably hop on that ASAP. Going to be a really fun offseason. I've changed my tune about drafting a WR instead of signing or trading for one, unless someone unexpected and cheap becomes available. We can't go into next year with Boykin as our 3. Don't know Seth's contract (one year deal?), but we need more playmakers on the outside, at least ones that can catch the ball in clutch situations.

I asked rmc what he would do. Never answered but I believe Quinn could be your a la Elvis. I'd go draft for Wrs since its deep and we should doubledip.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I asked rmc what he would do. Never answered but I believe Quinn could be your a la Elvis. I'd go draft for Wrs since its deep and we should doubledip.
I'd love to have Quinn here. Mentioned him before. I think that would be a great signing if he's not asking for over-the-top money

rossihunter2

Staff Member

the precedent has already been set if that's what you're worried about... both jared goff and carson wentz got 2nd contracts after the 3rd year of their deal last offseason - they were the class the year before watson and mahomes

so ironically out of that class dak is the only one who didnt get signed after year 3

rossihunter2

Staff Member

idk that i agree with that 100% - there looks like lots of depth at IOL but not much at the top (ive got 9 day 2 or higher grades on IOL but loads of 4th round grades)

whereas EDGE i see 13 day 2 or higher grades

i agree OL should be a priority but i dont agree with you on the strength of the classes

and i definitely think there are some edge prospects who'd be really nice fits here