• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lost in all this sadness is the fact more players will become available as teams trim down their rosters. Trades and a strong draft are certainly in the cards for us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With so many over the cap this is truth. Plus after a certain timeline URFA's don't even count against the comp. We need a veteran edge more than a veteran wideout imo.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
So after being emotional after all the top guys signed elsewhere, I have to admit that one “#1” is not going to be the difference between a Super Bowl win and loss. We need at least three guys that are competent, reliable starters like Boldin, Torrey and Jacoby were for Joe. At this moment, we only have two, and one is a Tight End.

I trust EDC, but it’s just so hard to trust the draft as well as our scouts when it comes to WRs, but hopefully the new guys we brought in can help with the development. I think everyone can understand my lack of optimism given our history. That’s why I wanted JuJu to at least soften the blow of an eventual learning curve of a rookie and give Lamar a reliable, tough, veteran WR, but we all know what happened with that. Still a looooong way to go before the first game of the season though.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
So after being emotional after all the top guys signed elsewhere, I have to admit that one “#1” is not going to be the difference between a Super Bowl win and loss. We need at least three guys that are competent, reliable starters like Boldin, Torrey and Jacoby were for Joe. At this moment, we only have two, and one is a Tight End.

I trust EDC, but it’s just so hard to trust the draft as well as our scouts when it comes to WRs, but hopefully the new guys we brought in can help with the development. I think everyone can understand my lack of optimism given our history. That’s why I wanted JuJu to at least soften the blow of an eventual learning curve of a rookie and give Lamar a reliable, tough, veteran WR, but we all know what happened with that. Still a looooong way to go before the first game of the season though.
I think striking out on the WR market really skyrocketed Zeus’ trade likelihood and lessened the value. I just don’t believe Eric is content going into this season with this wr corps and a rookie, I think he may look to package brown with a pick for a veteran on a contract and multiple picks, I still don’t know that thielen, Julio, mike Williams, and I’m sure plenty names that have never even been considered before, would be off the table for us.

hell maybe we find a RT in the draft who we are dead sold on to replace brown and trade him early in camp for a team who maybe added a WR in the draft.

I think there’s a really solid chance that a receiver we have never even considered or discussed ends up a raven via trade.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I think striking out on the WR market really skyrocketed Zeus’ trade likelihood and lessened the value. I just don’t believe Eric is content going into this season with this wr corps and a rookie, I think he may look to package brown with a pick for a veteran on a contract and multiple picks, I still don’t know that thielen, Julio, mike Williams, and I’m sure plenty names that have never even been considered before, would be off the table for us.

hell maybe we find a RT in the draft who we are dead sold on to replace brown and trade him early in camp for a team who maybe added a WR in the draft.

I think there’s a really solid chance that a receiver we have never even considered or discussed ends up a raven via trade.
Exactly how I feel. The Boldin trade literally came out of nowhere if I remember correctly. Are you still discounting ARob to us? I agree with your post 100%. I don’t think anyone is off the table to EDC quite frankly. We’ve seen how aggressive he is

I'm expecting to see at least two receivers come in - one by trade/FA and one early in the draft. Think that has to happen. I'll be disappointed if we don't get vet help at the position. Not talking stars, just reliable, unspectacular NFL players.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I'm expecting to see at least two receivers come in - one by trade/FA and one early in the draft. Think that has to happen. I'll be disappointed if we don't get vet help at the position. Not talking stars, just reliable, unspectacular NFL players.

Its just so crazy that this entire board has converged to the idea, please just bring in anyone who just belongs in the NFL. We're not even asking for stars. Just someone better than Miles Boykin lol

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Its just so crazy that this entire board has converged to the idea, please just bring in anyone who just belongs in the NFL. We're not even asking for stars. Just someone better than Miles Boykin lol
Miles Boykin, who almost never seems to be on the same page as Lamar, as our #2 WR is just hilarious to me. He’s a 4th option at best

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler

I'm on record as preferring AJ Green and the cheaper options over any of the other guys. I still think there is a WR in our future from a surprise drop. Don't ask me who. But someone is going to shake loose.

Also, I will disagree about trading Zeus and his market. He might be this year's RT and I would not be upset about that. Our line would be exceptional with him still around. We've all just kinda become used to the idea of getting an additional first round pick for him and not considering that he is still very valuable to THIS team. There are a number of teams like Denver and SF where they could have used him last year, but then this past year - in contract years - their LT's played their asses off and got contracts. Both would have been in the Zeus market and both have decent enough WR's that maybe one would have come our way. Maybe teams think they have us over the barrel, I don't see it that way. I'd be more willing to believe that the draft class at OT is strong and teams are hedging their bets for the time being. If that's the case, he's overvalued when those teams don't get what they want draft day.

Listen, I don't know what they are thinking about the TE from Jacksonville. Maybe that is going to wind up being a homerun, but honestly, another TE with decent size and hands would do everything any of those overpaid WR's would have done and probably more at a fraction of that price. There are still a lot of options.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I'm on record as preferring AJ Green and the cheaper options over any of the other guys. I still think there is a WR in our future from a surprise drop. Don't ask me who. But someone is going to shake loose.

Also, I will disagree about trading Zeus and his market. He might be this year's RT and I would not be upset about that. Our line would be exceptional with him still around. We've all just kinda become used to the idea of getting an additional first round pick for him and not considering that he is still very valuable to THIS team. There are a number of teams like Denver and SF where they could have used him last year, but then this past year - in contract years - their LT's played their asses off and got contracts. Both would have been in the Zeus market and both have decent enough WR's that maybe one would have come our way. Maybe teams think they have us over the barrel, I don't see it that way. I'd be more willing to believe that the draft class at OT is strong and teams are hedging their bets for the time being. If that's the case, he's overvalued when those teams don't get what they want draft day.

Listen, I don't know what they are thinking about the TE from Jacksonville. Maybe that is going to wind up being a homerun, but honestly, another TE with decent size and hands would do everything any of those overpaid WR's would have done and probably more at a fraction of that price. There are still a lot of options.
Don’t get me wrong, I like Zeus and want him at RT for us, I’m just not married to the idea lol, I think our best shot is to go after a vet who would be a high end WR3 or average WR2(Watkins for example), keep Orlando, draft a WR early and an OL if one makes sense

JAAM

Hall of Famer

JAAM

Hall of Famer
You guys are going to the SB next year. Mark my words.
I only see that happening if you let us borrow Adams and Lazard for the season ;)

JO_75

Hall of Famer
DeSean Jackson to the Rams.... wonder if the WR market is going to pick up this week now that Golladay has signed. Hopefully we are able to pull out Watkins due to his relationship with Tee Martin.