• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
The multi TE sets are a crutch, it will kill progression if we lean on that and only that.
Agreed.

If we simply try to go back to "being what we were in 2019", defenses will not have that much problem stopping the Ravens offense. The offense has to evolve, like any offense.

Multi TE sets are likely to be a staple of this team because of how we use the run game off of it, but have multiple Mark Andrews on the field at the same time really won't be that hard for defenses to stop in the long run.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Players typically go to whoever is willing to pay the most. There's really not much more to it than that.

Not always the case. A winning team offers a close deal compared to a losing team, the majority of players pick the winning team

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well, he pretty much did though. Chiefs offer was the same as the Steelers essentially, and the Ravens offer was for only $1M more. There are "reports" that the Eagles had a multi-year offer, but its also not been verified.

They were all one year deals, essentially. It's really not surprising at all that, given they were all extremely comparable offers, he decided to stay put and not uproot everything.

So you’re saying the Ravens did offer more. There’s your answer. Doesn’t matter how much more, it simply means more

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
So you’re saying the Ravens did offer more. There’s your answer. Doesn’t matter how much more, it simply means more
There is reason to understand juju accepting less though, most of the difference in the contract offer would be nullified if he were to get injured due to it being an incentive laden contract, the guarantees were about the same, and juju didn’t wanna uproot himself for just one year to take on that risk.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Draft or trade are really the only options. And I almost think you have to lean to a trade to get actual NFL caliber. Hollywood is the only WR of note so hard to trust the drafting process as well.

certainly you have to commit to a sure-thing type if this is what we go into the draft with - which given the history of the position suggests we'd need to draft a WR either in the 1st or 2nd and they'd need to be either a fairly refined route-runner or athletically supremely gifted and physical (or all those things) to have a chance at being an immediate contributor

that does make trading for someone more attractive - but either way you're basically pigeon-holing a decent pick (most likely) into the position whatever happens... i could definitely see a world where getting that guy for 4 years is the more attractive option in the front office's mind...

but guys who we might have a shot at who look like they are more certain to be early contributors (for me that's guys who have traits, some refinement, work all levels of the field and produced against highish-level competition) - that looks like Rashod Bateman, Elijah Moore, Terrace Marshall Jr, Dyami Brown... maybe amari rodgers too, and amon-ra st brown fits a lot of those characteristics too

given we know we were going to draft tee higgins at 26 last year if queen wasn't available, it would be hard to believe that we won't be interested in bateman (who's a better route-runner than higgins was coming out and maybe more athletic too) or Terrace Marshall Jr who both have some similarities to higgins in their prospect profile

there are other guys i like all over the draft but these are guys i think we'd be expected to draft if we went in without adding someone beforehand by whatever means

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I’d send a 2nd over to Dallas for Gallup in a heartbeat so we can address C or Edge in the first round. Lamar would love him here

JAAM

Hall of Famer
not sure if anyone saw this. I'd definitely be interested in Gallop.

Please tell me he heard chatter about us being interested in Gallup

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Maybe I'm in the minority but i think boykin would do well in other offenses. He is 6’4 ,for God sake through the guy some jump balls and back shoulder fades and let him take advantage of the mismatches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the problem is boykin doesn't play like he's 6'4 - he's not physical at the catch-point and doesn't seem to track the ball well/sees and adjusts to the ball late

he's had a few grabs on backshoulders that make you think maybe it's time and then he'll run the wrong route and lose all trust/confidence again

JAAM

Hall of Famer

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not always the case. A winning team offers a close deal compared to a losing team, the majority of players pick the winning team
LOL, yes but that's the point. They're comparable deals. That means that priority #1 is price tag. If they're substantially different, most of the time, player opts for where the money is.

If they're comparable then they move on in the checklist, which includes how well they fit, culture, winning/losing, etc.

NFL players are smart enough to enough that "consistently winning" is a very small group of teams. It's a lot more cyclical than fans admit it is.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I’m not hyped up, the hype has officially died since Watkins left the building lol, it just seems like there should be no way in hell that Eric would allow the roster to look like this, it may be a thing that doesn’t happen until after the draft too, don’t know when but i just believe a move is going to be made somewhere in this offseason for a veteran wr.

certainly with pass rusher it's possible we don't add anyone until after the draft - the veteran market is still loaded with at least a handful of potential contributors who probably aren't that interested in signing straight away - might even be waiting to sign until after minicamps so that they don't have to take part in those offseason activities

WR is more of an urgent issue because the market is already so bare

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
the problem is boykin doesn't play like he's 6'4 - he's not physical at the catch-point and doesn't seem to track the ball well/sees and adjusts to the ball late

he's had a few grabs on backshoulders that make you think maybe it's time and then he'll run the wrong route and lose all trust/confidence again

This analysis is 100% correct. But when you read it for what it is, that situation is just so ridiculous. The guy has all the physical traits. Has even flashed them in action. But more often than not is just totally off causing Lamar to throw interceptions. Boy do I hope he can get it together.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
LOL, well it doesn't matter TO YOU. But then again you're not the one making the decision, are you?

You said it yourself... they're comparable deals. I think it'd be impossible to construct an argument where, by NFL standards, a $1M different in compensation doesn't qualify as "comparable".

So that means that he had three comparable offers, from three teams that pretty much check the box of "winning culture" at very similar levels. I'd argue the Ravens would actually be third out of 3 in that group when compared to the Steelers and especially the current Chiefs, but that's probably not particularly relevant in this case.

So three comparable offers, and he selects the one that requires him to pretty much do the least. Doesn't have to move, doesn't have to sell a house, move a family, change locker rooms, learn new chemistry with a new QB, etc. It's just business as usual for him at a significantly higher price point than last year.

If you think JuJu didn't pick the Ravens because he's terrified of looking bad in this offense, that's purely conjecture in my eyes. When you start showing me guys who turn down substantially more money from the Ravens, in his spot, to go play elsewhere to "pad stats", then we can have a discussion about it.

Turning down $1M to stay home doesn't really fit that argument to me.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
LOL, yes but that's the point. They're comparable deals. That means that priority #1 is price tag. If they're substantially different, most of the time, player opts for where the money is.

If they're comparable then they move on in the checklist, which includes how well they fit, culture, winning/losing, etc.

NFL players are smart enough to enough that "consistently winning" is a very small group of teams. It's a lot more cyclical than fans admit it is.
what is your definition of a comparable deal though. A team could offer 2m less and give the player more guaranteed money and the majority of the time that player is taking more guarantees.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’d send a 2nd over to Dallas for Gallup in a heartbeat so we can address C or Edge in the first round. Lamar would love him here
A 2nd would be way too high a price tag for me. I think you could easily find a player comparable to Gallup in the 2nd round of this draft to begin with.

I'm probably starting with an early day 3 pick, and I'm probably not going above a 3rd rounder.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
LOL, well it doesn't matter TO YOU. But then again you're not the one making the decision, are you?

You said it yourself... they're comparable deals. I think it'd be impossible to construct an argument where, by NFL standards, a $1M different in compensation doesn't qualify as "comparable".

So that means that he had three comparable offers, from three teams that pretty much check the box of "winning culture" at very similar levels. I'd argue the Ravens would actually be third out of 3 in that group when compared to the Steelers and especially the current Chiefs, but that's probably not particularly relevant in this case.

So three comparable offers, and he selects the one that requires him to pretty much do the least. Doesn't have to move, doesn't have to sell a house, move a family, change locker rooms, learn new chemistry with a new QB, etc. It's just business as usual for him at a significantly higher price point than last year.

If you think JuJu didn't pick the Ravens because he's terrified of looking bad in this offense, that's purely conjecture in my eyes. When you start showing me guys who turn down substantially more money from the Ravens, in his spot, to go play elsewhere to "pad stats", then we can have a discussion about it.

Turning down $1M to stay home doesn't really fit that argument to me.
with a chance to earn 13m. He turned down more than just 1m and btw the base was 9.5m per zrebiec