• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
A 2nd would be way too high a price tag for me. I think you could easily find a player comparable to Gallup in the 2nd round of this draft to begin with.

I'm probably starting with an early day 3 pick, and I'm probably not going above a 3rd rounder.
maybe, maybe not. Gallup is a good route runner and has been since he left school. Gallup also isn't a rookie. I feel we trade Orlando Brown for Gallup and get pick/picks in return if this trade happens.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
what is your definition of a comparable deal though. A team could offer 2m less and give the player more guaranteed money and the majority of the time that player is taking more guarantees.
Its subjective, no doubt. Guaranteed money, I agree, trumps total money in most cases. It's going to be situational.

In the context of the JuJu discussion, its insignificant, because everybody was offering substantially the same thing. A one year deal really doesn't matter how much guaranteed money is in it or not.

My point is if people are going to make the claim that free agent receivers won't come to Baltimore because our offense sucks, then I would expect them to be able to show at least 1 of these 2 things:
a) some actual examples of free agents who turned us down for other teams
b) at least some semblance of reporting that shows they turned down a at least significantly better deal (understandably, subjective) from the Ravens to go play elsewhere.

And to this point, I've yet to see anybody really be able to say this or show this. And my guess is, if it does happen, it's like a once per decade type of thing, which I would hardly say is frequent enough to call it an issue.

I think people are using "free agents don't want to come here on offense" as an excuse to explain why the FO doesn't value players at the same prices/production levels that fans do, and fans aren't able to understand why.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
with a chance to earn 13m. He turned down more than just 1m and btw the base was 9.5m per zrebiec
Sure, except nobody knows what said "incentives" were. A lot of contracts have incentives baked into them that are like "get $3M more for winning a SB", which by definition, is NLTBE (not likely to be earned). The devil, as usual, is in the details.

Maybe Pittsburgh fully guaranteed his salary and we didn't. I have no idea.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
maybe, maybe not. Gallup is a good route runner and has been since he left school. Gallup also isn't a rookie. I feel we trade Orlando Brown for Gallup and get pick/picks in return if this trade happens.
And I don't think it'll involve Brown at all, because I'm not sure the Cowboys can afford him even next year. They're in for a very rough salary cap year in 2022, even with a potentially sharp rise in the cap.
Already have a lot of money committed to two Tackles on the roster, and neither of which produces a lot of cap relief with a cut next year. Even Tyron Smith, who's seemingly hurt all the time, is still only 31, because he came in the league at like 19 or 20 or whatever.

I don't think a trade for Gallup is going to involve Dallas taking on a very expensive player in future years. I think they'll want the pick(s) because they're realizing, like everybody else with a franchise QB, that drafting and developing players is about to be their new team motto.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
A 2nd would be way too high a price tag for me. I think you could easily find a player comparable to Gallup in the 2nd round of this draft to begin with.

I'm probably starting with an early day 3 pick, and I'm probably not going above a 3rd rounder.
You think they’d want more than what they’ll get back for a comp pick though because they’re not re-signing him, plus Gallup is a proven commodity already

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The multi TE sets are a crutch, it will kill progression if we lean on that and only that.

we've seen this year that we don't need 3 TEs and Ricard to operate this running game at a high-level

and having hurst often meant bringing andrews off the field on running downs

hurst's value on this offence as a TE 3 was massively over-valued - he was great as a 3rd option at TE but his best value was as a replacement for Andrews if he ever went down and yet he wasn't able to pick up the load later in the year when andrews got injured

we have to be able to run and pass out of similar looking formations and personnel groupings - having 3 TEs on the field is not consistently going to allow us to win in the passing game...

i agree - we have to be able to win in the passing game (and the running game) out of 11 personnel

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
You think they’d want more than what they’ll get back for a comp pick though because they’re not re-signing him, plus Gallup is a proven commodity already
Maybe. Not knowing what his price tag will be, it'll probably be a 4th round comp pick anyway.

Plus they don't just get one for him leaving. They'd have to be net negative free agents AND not sign somebody in a similar price range in order to get it.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This analysis is 100% correct. But when you read it for what it is, that situation is just so ridiculous. The guy has all the physical traits. Has even flashed them in action. But more often than not is just totally off causing Lamar to throw interceptions. Boy do I hope he can get it together.

i dont think he's shown anything that would suggest he'll turn the corner - i guess it's promising that he regained his snaps from duvernay and others to end the year even with dez bryant coming onto the team... after he was slowly losing those snaps until the cowboys game

but that "resurgence" only actually meant 1 reception per game - tbf to him 3 of those 5 receptions were TDs but still...

maybe it's a case of throwing him the ball more which ive seen suggested elsewhere but honestly i dont really think so - i just think he lacks the mentality to be successful - he doesn't have that aggressive mentality at the catch-point and he's not particularly physical through the route and most importantly he just doesn't seem to have the team or lamar's trust to run the route they expect

chase claypool plays the way i think the ravens thought miles boykin would play - coming from the same school with similar builds and athletic profiles - but claypool was a bully with his physicality early in the route and at the catch-point which were 2 areas that boykin was notably not as gifted despite his size

honestly james proche at 5'11 had better traits and attitude and physicality on contested catches and in his route running than miles boykin did despite being 5 inches shorter...

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Its subjective, no doubt. Guaranteed money, I agree, trumps total money in most cases. It's going to be situational.

In the context of the JuJu discussion, its insignificant, because everybody was offering substantially the same thing. A one year deal really doesn't matter how much guaranteed money is in it or not.

My point is if people are going to make the claim that free agent receivers won't come to Baltimore because our offense sucks, then I would expect them to be able to show at least 1 of these 2 things:
a) some actual examples of free agents who turned us down for other teams
b) at least some semblance of reporting that shows they turned down a at least significantly better deal (understandably, subjective) from the Ravens to go play elsewhere.

And to this point, I've yet to see anybody really be able to say this or show this. And my guess is, if it does happen, it's like a once per decade type of thing, which I would hardly say is frequent enough to call it an issue.

I think people are using "free agents don't want to come here on offense" as an excuse to explain why the FO doesn't value players at the same prices/production levels that fans do, and fans aren't able to understand why.
I wasn't referring to them turning us down, because they didn't want to come here due to offense. I do think that is an issue, until we show otherwise. Especially on a short contract where they will be free agents in the next offseason. I was referring to contracts in general.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Sure, except nobody knows what said "incentives" were. A lot of contracts have incentives baked into them that are like "get $3M more for winning a SB", which by definition, is NLTBE (not likely to be earned). The devil, as usual, is in the details.

Maybe Pittsburgh fully guaranteed his salary and we didn't. I have no idea.
and then some of incentives are actually easy to obtain. As you said, the devil is in the details and no one will know for certain.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
orlando won't be going to the cowboys if he wants to play LT
Probably won't be, but it certainly depends on if the Cowboys are willing to run with Smith again at left tackle or draft one. If they draft best player available they may end up with DB or LT in that spot.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
3F2A299E-308E-42C4-BE3B-56030C1DF760.jpeg
Never pass up a free meal.

(taken from Reddit)

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Probably won't be, but it certainly depends on if the Cowboys are willing to run with Smith again at left tackle or draft one. If they draft best player available they may end up with DB or LT in that spot.
Maybe. I don't know that they're super interested in moving on from him yet either, to be honest. Like I said... still only 31, reasonably priced for a couple years also. I'd say another year of him being injured and not playing may doom his fate, but if he's healthy for 2021, I think they'll roll with Smith for at least 1-2 more years.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
i dont think he's shown anything that would suggest he'll turn the corner - i guess it's promising that he regained his snaps from duvernay and others to end the year even with dez bryant coming onto the team... after he was slowly losing those snaps until the cowboys game

but that "resurgence" only actually meant 1 reception per game - tbf to him 3 of those 5 receptions were TDs but still...

maybe it's a case of throwing him the ball more which ive seen suggested elsewhere but honestly i dont really think so - i just think he lacks the mentality to be successful - he doesn't have that aggressive mentality at the catch-point and he's not particularly physical through the route and most importantly he just doesn't seem to have the team or lamar's trust to run the route they expect

chase claypool plays the way i think the ravens thought miles boykin would play - coming from the same school with similar builds and athletic profiles - but claypool was a bully with his physicality early in the route and at the catch-point which were 2 areas that boykin was notably not as gifted despite his size

honestly james proche at 5'11 had better traits and attitude and physicality on contested catches and in his route running than miles boykin did despite being 5 inches shorter...

Why did Proche not even get a shot? Like I can understand something like maybe he didn't look super good in practice, but like that's just not the end all be all. Look no further than Ben Powers last year. And when you're literally worst in the league, it might not be a bad idea to let explore what you have. Didn't make a lot of sense to me.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Maybe. I don't know that they're super interested in moving on from him yet either, to be honest. Like I said... still only 31, reasonably priced for a couple years also. I'd say another year of him being injured and not playing may doom his fate, but if he's healthy for 2021, I think they'll roll with Smith for at least 1-2 more years.
you very well may be right and I did check out his contract when I was considering Brown to the Cowboys earlier in the offseason.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Fuck. Hilton re-signed with the Colts. We’re going into this draft with Watkins and Hollywood as our starters and drafting a day 3 WR hahahaha

Charm City

Pro Bowler
Tavon Young plus a 5th rounder for Michael Gallup? Would that be enough? The Cowboys definitely need secondary help and secondary is a strength for us, albeit we're thin at slot CB