• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think this just feels different because these are usually the guys that get to FA and re-sign a month or two after the market opens. It's just weird having a GM that is much more aggressive and knows what he wants. Even at the minimum, the Andre Smith and Jordan Richards signings were a bit out of the ordinary for us. If they keep that rolling with more back end of the roster depth... it's just interesting.

andre smith to me seemed like a normal camp body type signing - we grabbed an OL with some experience just as James Hurst's suspension came out but we paid him vet minimum etc. i fully expect smith not to make the roster

jordan richards on the other hand is a special teamer who came in and was pretty effective - we're currently down anthony levine, chris moore, brynden trawick from that special teams unit and deshon elliott is coming back from injury and chuck clark is now a starter on the defence

its absolutely a trend though that EDC is aggressive and to be fair to him he's been completely honest about his desire to be aggressive and take care of our own guys and keep them in the building - if we have a guy on our roster and we like him, then EDC's going to get out in front of it and retain him

i think its pretty telling that we havent supposedly been in negotiations with pierce (or peanut since last offseason) and even no reports of contract negotiations with judon - i mean i assume we've made him some sort of offer...

it definitely helps the 'next man up' type idea if the next man up has had time with the coaching staff and scheme across multiple years

i love what EDC has done so far - my hope is that he's got 1 more miracle trade (hopefully tag and trade) before we get to the draft but either way he's had an outstanding first season as ravens GM (officially)

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Please trade Judon. He’s not worth the money he wants.. something tells me though we have plans for a trade with a couple of teams who have a few second rounders. Someone on Reddit suggested trading Judon and 28 to the Colts for 13 though
Naw i doubt cols would accept that

Simba

Staff Member
andre smith to me seemed like a normal camp body type signing - we grabbed an OL with some experience just as James Hurst's suspension came out but we paid him vet minimum etc. i fully expect smith not to make the roster

jordan richards on the other hand is a special teamer who came in and was pretty effective - we're currently down anthony levine, chris moore, brynden trawick from that special teams unit and deshon elliott is coming back from injury and chuck clark is now a starter on the defence

its absolutely a trend though that EDC is aggressive and to be fair to him he's been completely honest about his desire to be aggressive and take care of our own guys and keep them in the building - if we have a guy on our roster and we like him, then EDC's going to get out in front of it and retain him

i think its pretty telling that we havent supposedly been in negotiations with pierce (or peanut since last offseason) and even no reports of contract negotiations with judon - i mean i assume we've made him some sort of offer...

it definitely helps the 'next man up' type idea if the next man up has had time with the coaching staff and scheme across multiple years

i love what EDC has done so far - my hope is that he's got 1 more miracle trade (hopefully tag and trade) before we get to the draft but either way he's had an outstanding first season as ravens GM (officially)

Just to clarify... I think the signings themselves make sense. It's the timing that is different. Typically guys like Smith, Richards, Levine, etc. are guys that sit out on the market for a couple of months before we turn our attention back to them. With EDC, it's just a different train of thought where even the back end of the roster types are priorities.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Just to clarify... I think the signings themselves make sense. It's the timing that is different. Typically guys like Smith, Richards, Levine, etc. are guys that sit out on the market for a couple of months before we turn our attention back to them. With EDC, it's just a different train of thought where even the back end of the roster types are priorities.

ah i see - yeah it is interesting but it is telling which "back end of the roster" guys are being prioritised - they're the guys most likely to have at least a tiny bit of interest on the open market from other teams

but rather than be coy EDC is getting it done arly

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
ah i see - yeah it is interesting but it is telling which "back end of the roster" guys are being prioritised - they're the guys most likely to have at least a tiny bit of interest on the open market from other teams

but rather than be coy EDC is getting it done arly
This also makes it easier for EDC to manage the cap. After getting some guys done early you know you can be more aggressiv in FA knowing you already have your backend end of the roster type of guys.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This also makes it easier for EDC to manage the cap. After getting some guys done early you know you can be more aggressiv in FA knowing you already have your backend end of the roster type of guys.

tbf it probably limits our aggression in free agency because of the accumulated cap space we've not got anymore after all the deals - and i definitely prefer having done those deals but, especially if we're tagging judon, there's no way we'll be operating competitively in the tier 1 free agent market

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
tbf it probably limits our aggression in free agency because of the accumulated cap space we've not got anymore after all the deals - and i definitely prefer having done those deals but, especially if we're tagging judon, there's no way we'll be operating competitively in the tier 1 free agent market
you dnt think we could tag judon and go after one tier one player? if not i can see us going after sanders or arik armstead type of guys.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I’m fine with that. This FA class has a pretty solid second wave

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
you dnt think we could tag judon and go after one tier one player? if not i can see us going after sanders or arik armstead type of guys.
I certainly don't. I think if you look at the math, its very challenging:
Assuming $200M cap, you've got $30.7M in available cap space. I haven't seen the final franchise tag $ designations, but the Linebacker tag should be somewhere in the neighborhood of $16-17M I believe.

So at $16M (the low end), that leaves you with between $14-15M in cap space available. If the roster is unchanged, that's what we have. In my opinion, you'd have to use just about every penny of that to sign a "tier 1" FA. I don't even know who you would include in that, but guys like Clowney or Ngaokue are well above that level. You could make an Earl Thomas-level signing at a different position, but I'm not even sure that would count as "tier 1" these days.

And again... you can't spend nearly all of that. You'd probably need $4-5M leftover at a minimum. There may be cap savings to be had (decline Carr's option, Yanda retiring, etc.), but those are impacts on the roster that I think are much more significant than just cutting somebody like Jefferson.

If you want my "prediction" for this offseason, I think it'll be simple... "keep the band together" is going to be the theme. I think you'll see us tag Judon and try to extend him. I think we'll extend Stanley, which will drive his cost up. I think we'll keep one of either Carr or Jimmy. I think we'll add a veteran rusher in the 2nd or 3rd wave of FA, or wait for roster cuts later to do it. I think we'll add cheap depth on the Oline as well.

The rest I think is coming from the draft. I don't see us signing barely anybody of significance on offense. The types of WRs I see us grabbing (if we get one at all) are in the Snead/Robert/Crabtree range of players.

The ONLY way I see this going differently is if they don't tag Judon and let him walk entirely, or if they trade him quickly. If that happens, I think they'll try to sign a top defender from somewhere (likely somebody who pressures the QB). If they keep Judon, I see very little chance we make any "splash" signings in FA.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Ingraven uploaded a video titled “patriots and jaguars interested in trading for Hayden hurst”

It’s ingraven and he’s always got some clickbaity titles and will post an entirely speculative video with a definitive title, but can anyone find some legs on this?

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ingraven uploaded a video titled “patriots and jaguars interested in trading for Hayden hurst”

It’s ingraven and he’s always got some clickbaity titles and will post an entirely speculative video with a definitive title, but can anyone find some legs on this?

It’s only one media guy from Jacksonville posting about this. It got legs cause he included the patriots. Nothing major of note though.

Reactions: cdp

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
It’s only one media guy from Jacksonville posting about this. It got legs cause he included the patriots. Nothing major of note though.

this definitely could have some legs to it, but I would prefer keeping him, unless we were blown out of the water.

Simba

Staff Member
Apparently the same 2 teams that called before the trade deadline and were told no. Would imagine this is another case of teams calling us and us listening. Would doubt we're shopping him, but at least listening and doing our due diligence.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bi...en-hurst-trade-rumors-jaguars-patriots-ravens

This dickhole really just said the jags could get hurst for a 7th round pick.

Any legs on this story were amputated by this article.

hurst is a valuable blocker, and a solid receiver and if a mark andrews should go down he would be an option(if only Lamar would look his way ffs) and if Boyle or ricard goes down he’s a good option to block. Ravens likely wouldn’t take less than a 2 for hurst

JAAM

Hall of Famer
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bi...en-hurst-trade-rumors-jaguars-patriots-ravens

This dickhole really just said the jags could get hurst for a 7th round pick.

Any legs on this story were amputated by this article.

hurst is a valuable blocker, and a solid receiver and if a mark andrews should go down he would be an option(if only Lamar would look his way ffs) and if Boyle or ricard goes down he’s a good option to block. Ravens likely wouldn’t take less than a 2 for hurst
What a dumbass. Maybe if you had EDC, you could fleece us, but get over yourselves. Hurst arguably has the best hands on the team and is a damn good blocker. He's pivotal in our offense. I wouldn't trade him unless someone vastly overvalued him.