• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
1m of that is his game checks - rmcjacket is correct that the amount of signing bonus we'd be going after is around 0.2-0.3m so the maximum amount of cap space we'd be able to get relief for is about 1.2m (hence the figure you've posted)
I edited the response above with his tweet. You just beat me to it. I now know where the 1.2m came from that I had read earlier in the week.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I edited the response above with his tweet. You just beat me to it. I now know where the 1.2m came from that I had read earlier in the week.
Brian's a great reference here. I'm just not personally sold that they're required to forfeit a prorated portion of his their bonus. Maybe they are, or maybe he's just assuming the Ravens will ask him to. I've seen numerous articles and reports, all the way back to guys like Calvin Johnson and Andrew Luck retiring, that say different things about what teams can and can't do in those regards. Ultimately it sounds like it ends up as a grievance filing that goes to arbitration, if that's the route they go.

My "assumption" is that if the Ravens are interested in keeping him on the 53, you wouldn't go after the bonus part. Maybe if you cut him you do, but it seems like more of a "nice guy" gesture to let him keep the $300K or whatever it comes out to.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Brian's a great reference here. I'm just not personally sold that they're required to forfeit a prorated portion of his their bonus. Maybe they are, or maybe he's just assuming the Ravens will ask him to. I've seen numerous articles and reports, all the way back to guys like Calvin Johnson and Andrew Luck retiring, that say different things about what teams can and can't do in those regards. Ultimately it sounds like it ends up as a grievance filing that goes to arbitration, if that's the route they go.

My "assumption" is that if the Ravens are interested in keeping him on the 53, you wouldn't go after the bonus part. Maybe if you cut him you do, but it seems like more of a "nice guy" gesture to let him keep the $300K or whatever it comes out to.

i think there's some difference between the financials of retiring and a suspension would be my best guess - ultimately i agree with you, if the ravens get it automatically then they'll take it, if they have to fight for it they'll likely not bother - especially as they're still getting 1m in cap relief for his game checks

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Of course lol especially since this is the offseason. Harbs, if you're reading this, on behalf of all Ravens fans on this thread, we love you and we hope you can create a dynasty.

By the way, can we get gold stars too? Asking for a friend or two.
We should change the “Like” button to a Gold Star effort sticker

JPPT1974

Practice Squad
Yeah as really hope that there can be a dynasty. With young Lamar and with the Ravens.

D1City55

Pro Bowler
there's some interior guys i really like in this draft but after the first 6-8 DL the quality or the prospects drops off dramatically - if we dont get one with our first 2 picks we'd better have brought someone in during free agency

you're absolutely right though - i dont know that we need a pass rushing 5 tech because we so often only have 1 DL on the field on obvious passing downs but if we got a high quality 3t it would make a world of difference
Honestly a game wrecker at DL does so much damage to a defense. Idc where he has to play as long as I get one. I would love to have Campbell here honestly. He can play anywhere and would be a great fit. Pierce was a massive disappointment and we already kinda have someone like him in Bwill. I think we were expecting a big year out of him and he let us down. We could really benefit getting someone who can be disruptive wherever they are.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Honestly a game wrecker at DL does so much damage to a defense. Idc where he has to play as long as I get one. I would love to have Campbell here honestly. He can play anywhere and would be a great fit. Pierce was a massive disappointment and we already kinda have someone like him in Bwill. I think we were expecting a big year out of him and he let us down. We could really benefit getting someone who can be disruptive wherever they are.

there's a group of 3 DL in the draft who we can realistically expect to have a shot at who i really like: Justin Madubuike, Ross Blacklock and Neville Gallimore (Marlon Davidson too if you call him a DL albeit I still struggle with where to rank him) - I think if we got one of those 3 (or 4) guys it could be huge for this defensive front

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Reports are saying the Vikings are looking to move on from Stefon Diggs... and Diggs removed EVERYTHING Vikings related from his Instagram earlier.

Clearly Eric had a great conversation with the Vikings and Lamar about to have a new toy to play with for like a 4th round pick and a Gift Card to Jimmy's Seafood lol.

Reports are saying the Vikings are looking to move on from Stefon Diggs... and Diggs removed EVERYTHING Vikings related from his Instagram earlier.

Clearly Eric had a great conversation with the Vikings and Lamar about to have a new toy to play with for like a 4th round pick and a Gift Card to Jimmy's Seafood lol.

When did EDC talk with them?

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I’m not sure Stefon would be a good fit here. He needs the ball a lot to be happy and unless Lamar throws 30+ times a game next season, I can’t see why he’d ask to be traded here

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m not sure Stefon would be a good fit here. He needs the ball a lot to be happy and unless Lamar throws 30+ times a game next season, I can’t see why he’d ask to be traded here

Agreed. Love Diggs as a player, but he would need to leave his ego behind and understand that he may get even less opportunities here than he was getting in Minnesota.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Idk how people expected a big year outta pierce.. he never showed any signs of being a decent pass rusher. Same for bwill, idk how some expected him to be a good pass rusher when after 3+ seasons he he never showed any signs.. id love to have armstead or campbell. Any decent pass rusher along the dline would be nice

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I agree! we need wrs who dont mind going some games without making tons of catches. Thats why i think aj green would be perfect

Believe Dat

Practice Squad
I agree! we need wrs who dont mind going some games without making tons of catches. Thats why i think aj green would be perfect

All of this. Would be ecstatic to steal AJ Green on a 2 year, $18 mil type deal. Bring the Raven Killer to the Ravens! He can teach our young WRs as well as produce on the field. Shoot, he’ll make Hollywood and Lamar so much better

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
All of this. Would be ecstatic to steal AJ Green on a 2 year, $18 mil type deal. Bring the Raven Killer to the Ravens! He can teach our young WRs as well as produce on the field. Shoot, he’ll make Hollywood and Lamar so much better
That's way too low a price for Green in my opinion. I don't think he'll sign anywhere for less than $15M a year, even with the injury concerns.

A 2 year deal for him, which would offer less guarantees, would probably have to come in at close to $30M. And frankly, you might have to guarantee all or most of it.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
That's way too low a price for Green in my opinion. I don't think he'll sign anywhere for less than $15M a year, even with the injury concerns.

A 2 year deal for him, which would offer less guarantees, would probably have to come in at close to $30M. And frankly, you might have to guarantee all or most of it.

honestly i think he might get franchise tagged