• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
i mean the money he's owed is great value for a WR of his calibre - the issue is that with the pandemic, cap is tight so it takes some manoeuvring to do it - otherwise it would be a no-brainer to send a 1st their way for him

Lol

rossihunter2

Staff Member

Don’t give a shit about Boykin. Sammy, you’re killing me. And good shit Bateman.

Edit: wrong thread. Sorry Mods

haha no worries lol

and not super worried about sammy - there's a few drops/missed catches on his film throughout his time as a chief but it's not egregious - and today was his first day at OTAs and catching passes from Lamar when most everyone else was already there

he's a vet, ill only be worried if these issues follow him through training camp too

but eli wolf and boykin cannot afford to be dropping passes

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Has Sammy ever been known for drops? Anyone know?

dont have the data for before his time at KC - but he was excellent in 2018 and some drops crept in in 2019 and 2020 but not to a ridiculous level - just brought him back to the pack to around a similar level to chase claypool and marvin jones (in his worst year in 2020)

there's a few balls you would like him to have back obviously (based on watching him in 2020) but nothing that's ultimately worrying

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Here's what I would say...
If all goes as planned, Sammy should be the #3 WR. He should be playing less snaps than both Bateman and Hollywood. If he's not, I think that's probably a knock on Bateman, or an injury happened.

The #3 WR in this offense is probably playing like 40-50% of offensive snaps, and maybe even less, if they're rotating somebody like Boykin as a run blocking WR. That could put Watkins down in the 30-40 snap range. If that's the case, I think durability issues could be lowered.

People need to realize... in KC, just last year, he was playing a TON of snaps. In the 10 games he played, he was over 70% like 8 times, and one of the games I believe he left early with injury. KC runs a LOT more 3 and 4 wide sets than the Ravens have. Maybe that changes, but I don't think it changes that much, given that Boyle will be back and we love two TE sets and utilize a FB as much as anybody.

So if Watkins is playing more than like 50-60% of the snaps, to me, it's either because he's playing over Bateman (which would be a knock on Bateman), somebody else is injured, or we're playing from behind a lot and need to throw. In pretty much all of those cases, it won't be by design mostly.

are we talking total snaps or weekly?
if weekly im still expecting watkins to be WR2 because he's gonna be involved in our running game in much the same way willie snead was - he'll be asked to play that slot role motioning across to be the add-one blocker and he'll also be used like boykin as a downfield blocker

im fully expecting watkins to have the 2nd most snaps when he's playing because if we're still a run-heavy team (which i think we're all assuming we will be), then he's going to be involved a ton

i definitely could reasonably see a scenario where bateman has more receptions and yards than watkins but watkins outsnaps him

so i wouldnt see watkins outsnapping bateman as a knock on bateman, more about watkins's value as a blocker

JAAM

Hall of Famer

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Because I think it’s a complete dumbarse idea to think Julio would be brought in here, and a complete dumbarse idea to think he would fill a “need”

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Because I think it’s a complete dumbarse idea to think Julio would be brought in here, and a complete dumbarse idea to think he would fill a “need”

but i never said he did at all - all i said was that in a vacuum, i'd bring him here in a heartbeat regardless of need - it's rare you get the opportunity to get a player like that for only 1 pick (even if that's a 1st rounder) and certainly not for a reasonable contract

the only reason that's stopping us is the cap as it currently is in the pandemic (which is also the biggest reason the falcons are trying to get rid of him)

it doesnt really matter though because it's not happening

but this idea that we wouldnt/shouldnt be interested in julio is bizarre

no one cares about need when you can bring in superstars

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
but i never said he did at all - all i said was that in a vacuum, i'd bring him here in a heartbeat regardless of need - it's rare you get the opportunity to get a player like that for only 1 pick (even if that's a 1st rounder) and certainly not for a reasonable contract

the only reason that's stopping us is the cap as it currently is in the pandemic (which is also the biggest reason the falcons are trying to get rid of him)

it doesnt really matter though because it's not happening

but this idea that we wouldnt/shouldnt be interested in julio is bizarre

no one cares about need when you can bring in superstars

Get a “superstar” coming off an injury for maybe 2 years at a high level or draft a player who could be a star for years... hmm... yeah I’m definitely taking the first round player over a vet like Julio

Get a “superstar” coming off an injury for maybe 2 years at a high level or draft a player who could be a star for years... hmm... yeah I’m definitely taking the first round player over a vet like Julio
Outside of Lamar Jackson, which Ravens first round pick of the last 5 years would you choose over 2-3 years of Julio?

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Outside of Lamar Jackson, which Ravens first round pick of the last 5 years would you choose over 2-3 years of Julio?

Hollywood for one. More potential than 2-3 years of older than prime Julio. Who oh, also plays WR. Queen, who at 21 led the whole team in tackles and made plays, and if he develops well will end up a star

rossihunter2

Staff Member

umm yeah no thanks - 2 years of julio is gonna be far more valuable than at least 90% of late 1st round rookies over their full 4-5 years on rookie deals

the cap makes it difficult but these types of players aren't available often (especially not for that contract)

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
umm yeah no thanks - 2 years of julio is gonna be far more valuable than at least 90% of late 1st round rookies over their full 4-5 years on rookie deals

the cap makes it difficult but these types of players aren't available often (especially not for that contract)

Lol ok. Glad we chose Ray Lewis/Ed Reed/Lamar/etc over a guy who only had 2 more years to play at a good level

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Hollywood for one. More potential than 2-3 years of older than prime Julio. Who oh, also plays WR. Queen, who at 21 led the whole team in tackles and made plays, and if he develops well will end up a star

"if"...
we're in our last year before we have to start paying guys... we're in a superbowl window right now... you dont necessarily need julio to play for more than 2-3 years

and idk what evidence you've seen that suggests he's declining - last we saw of him he was just as dynamic and amazing as the rest of his career

literally none of them lol

i mean the only ravens 1st rounders im taking over 2-3 years of julio since we drafted flacco in 2008 are lamar, humphrey and stanley (and both humphrey and stanley weren't late 1st rounders)
Yeah I was just looking at the list and the main ones are guys we got when we drafted higher. It's honestly a pretty tight choice with a few of them because of that injury; I don't know for sure that Julio will be the same.

Since 2010, would definitely take:
Lamar, Humphrey, Stanley

Would definitely not take:
Elam, Perriman, Hurst

Undecided:
Smith, Mosley, Hollywood, Queen

So pretty much 50:50. I can see why guys are arguing both ways tbh.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
"if"...
we're in our last year before we have to start paying guys... we're in a superbowl window right now... you dont necessarily need julio to play for more than 2-3 years

and idk what evidence you've seen that suggests he's declining - last we saw of him he was just as dynamic and amazing as the rest of his career

And “if”.... Julio is already in the down turn of things as far as durability goes with age...

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't think it's for a bargain when he's coming off of surgery and he's not that young anymore. Plus, there are already rumblings that he's looking for a lot of guarantees in a new contract. So when you think about a 3 year deal how much of that 44M should be guaranteed? I'd say that's a lot given our situation of needing to extend Lamar, Andrews, Dobbins, CB's... I just don't feel it. And certainly not with a 1st rounder being a requirement as it stands now. Plus, we made investments in what we think are two quality WR's in this year's draft. Another WR is going to muddle that group up a lot. I'm not sure I want to do that. Bateman should help immediately, but if Wallace makes an impact, like I think he will, that's a huge improvement to what we've had for a couple years. Julio should still be considered, but we are in a better position anyway at WR than we were.

You are getting a tier 1 WR for tier 2 dollars. If he were on the open market right now he signs for 18-20m per year for 3 years. 100% guaranteed so the fact that you have him for on average 12.5m is a massive discount.

His age is only relevant in that he likely will not see a followup contract after his current one runs out and considering he does not have much of an injury history the injury is not really a concern. The contract is simply a bargain.