• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
He isn’t worth a first rounder. You trade a first for a guy coming off an injury at his age. You have no idea if that’s the start of durability issues due to age. Nor do you know how many more years he has at a high level.

EDC: 5th rounder, take it or leave it!

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
To be fair, I want this to be over with too but this is taking longer than I thought lol. I thought by now we would have had some blockbuster trade, Julio, Rodgers, other potential players, etc. It's getting boring waiting to see what happens.
he couldn't be traded until after June 1st due to Atlanta's salary cap.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I had to check to make sure I am not crazy but his next 2 years are 15.3 million and 11.5 million (and then 11.5 million in year 3). That is the sort of contract you give a 2nd tier WR (there are low end number 1s making much more) and so you are getting him for a bargain.
imo, he's going to want a new contract, once he gets traded.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not sure how much leverage he has though. He's still got 3 years left on his current deal. If he got a new one, I would guess it would be based on the acquiring team's need to create short term cap space. And even then, it would likely be a restructure instead of an actual new contract.

He'll be 32 this year and 34 when the contracts done. I'm not sure there will be a demand for teams to extend him beyond that.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I had to check to make sure I am not crazy but his next 2 years are 15.3 million and 11.5 million (and then 11.5 million in year 3). That is the sort of contract you give a 2nd tier WR (there are low end number 1s making much more) and so you are getting him for a bargain.
I agree. I don't think its his actual cost that teams are really bulking at. I think its the idea that, from a cap perspective, there just aren't that many teams that can fit him in without having re-work some contracts.

Like if I'm the Ravens, I don't have an issue with paying him $15.3M this year. I'm not even sure I have an issue with giving up a late first (and certainly not anything below that) to get him.

It's the simple fact that I just don't have the cap space to fit him in, and I'm not even really sure if there are enough contracts to restructure (and it would take like 4-5 to be done to make it happen) that I can create the space. I could do some sort of restructure with him after I trade for him, but that's going to involve guaranteed money in future years (which I don't think I want to do for a 33-34 year old player), and I'm not sure I want to commit that amount of cap to a player like him, when I've got my franchise QB set to make like $40M a year very soon.

Not to mention what I've alluded to, which is "roster construction". Still just one football. Got three first round WRs on the roster already, and a top 5 TE. Unless they're planning to introduce another football into play simultaneously, you've got wasted assets in there in multiple spots.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Not sure how much leverage he has though. He's still got 3 years left on his current deal. If he got a new one, I would guess it would be based on the acquiring team's need to create short term cap space. And even then, it would likely be a restructure instead of an actual new contract.

He'll be 32 this year and 34 when the contracts done. I'm not sure there will be a demand for teams to extend him beyond that.
I agree wit you, but it is possible he would want more money following this season, inline with current salaries. What are his guarantees for each year 21-23?

edit.... Just remembered he signed the contract in 2021, so you're right, he probably won't be concerned with the contract.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I agree wit you, but it is possible he would want more money following this season, inline with current salaries. What are his guarantees for each year 21-23?

edit.... Just remembered he signed the contract in 2021, so you're right, he probably won't be concerned with the contract.
His base salary this year is still fully guaranteed, and $2M of his 2022 salary is fully guaranteed (not particularly significant).

So basically, he has no guaranteed money left after 2021. I have no doubt he'll want some guarantees after this year, given that I believe he was already haggling for more guaranteed money about 2 years into like a 5-6 year deal the last time. I'm just not that certain he'll get it. I think an acquiring team may extend him for another year to 2024, and maybe guarantee all of his 2022 money, but I'd be surprised beyond that.

Obviously a great player, and maybe even a HOF player. But he's probably got like 3-4 years left in the league I would think.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
EDC: We can’t afford him, we just drafted two receivers and one in the first round, and we have much bigger needs than a soon to be over the hill vet WR. Complete pass.
Soon to be over the hill like steve smith? Campbell? Eric weddle? Daryl smith? Ty hilton? Juston housto? I mean these are the type of players we and most teams go after thats in a contending position.. right now, i dnt want him simply because we already have a roster full of wrs but if we didnt have sammy, id love to have him

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Soon to be over the hill like steve smith? Campbell? Eric weddle? Daryl smith? Ty hilton? Juston housto? I mean these are the type of players we and most teams go after thats in a contending position.. right now, i dnt want him simply because we already have a roster full of wrs but if we didnt have sammy, id love to have him

None of those guys cost nearly as much money nor capital to acquire. And they were actually filling true needs. So those players aren’t even comparable to this.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler

I don't think it's for a bargain when he's coming off of surgery and he's not that young anymore. Plus, there are already rumblings that he's looking for a lot of guarantees in a new contract. So when you think about a 3 year deal how much of that 44M should be guaranteed? I'd say that's a lot given our situation of needing to extend Lamar, Andrews, Dobbins, CB's... I just don't feel it. And certainly not with a 1st rounder being a requirement as it stands now. Plus, we made investments in what we think are two quality WR's in this year's draft. Another WR is going to muddle that group up a lot. I'm not sure I want to do that. Bateman should help immediately, but if Wallace makes an impact, like I think he will, that's a huge improvement to what we've had for a couple years. Julio should still be considered, but we are in a better position anyway at WR than we were.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
None of those guys cost nearly as much money nor capital to acquire. And they were actually filling true needs. So those players aren’t even comparable to this.
Ofcourse they arent gonna cost as much, its julio jones. Didnt we sign campbell at 34 to like 26million?

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ofcourse they arent gonna cost as much, its julio jones. Didnt we sign campbell at 34 to like 26million?
$20M guaranteed for two years. It also cost very little from a trade perspective, and Campbell plays a more important position than WR. Plus, we didn't have three first round picks on the Dline when we acquired him.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't think it's for a bargain when he's coming off of surgery and he's not that young anymore. Plus, there are already rumblings that he's looking for a lot of guarantees in a new contract. So when you think about a 3 year deal how much of that 44M should be guaranteed? I'd say that's a lot given our situation of needing to extend Lamar, Andrews, Dobbins, CB's... I just don't feel it. And certainly not with a 1st rounder being a requirement as it stands now. Plus, we made investments in what we think are two quality WR's in this year's draft. Another WR is going to muddle that group up a lot. I'm not sure I want to do that. Bateman should help immediately, but if Wallace makes an impact, like I think he will, that's a huge improvement to what we've had for a couple years. Julio should still be considered, but we are in a better position anyway at WR than we were.
Again, for what its worth, what Julio wants doesn't really matter much. Nobody is going to give him a lot of guaranteed money at this point. If any team extends his deal (which I don't think they will, given he has 3 years left), I would be shocked to see him get any guaranteed money beyond 2022, and he already has fully guaranteed money this year and a little bit next year.

Any team acquiring Julio today will get him for 3 years at about $38.3M in total, of which $17.3M of that is fully guaranteed. I personally don't think Julio has much basis to complain about that, nor do I think a team does either. I have no doubt that if he has a productive year, next offseason, regardless of who he's playing for, he will start chirping about more guaranteed money, since he'll be practically out of it. But he doesn't have much recourse to do anything about it.

The injury is the only reason teams aren't throwing picks at Julio. Talent wise and contract wise he's a no brainer and in a normal cap year the Falcons would get a 1st + more.

The only reason I don't want him in Baltimore is our limited resources and bigger needs. In a vacuum, give me Julio.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Some insider said this morning we’re out of the Julio sweepstakes. Justin Houston, come on down

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
The injury is the only reason teams aren't throwing picks at Julio. Talent wise and contract wise he's a no brainer and in a normal cap year the Falcons would get a 1st + more.

The only reason I don't want him in Baltimore is our limited resources and bigger needs. In a vacuum, give me Julio.

Contract wise? Please do explain. That’s a very hefty contract for a soon to be on the down WR. That’s most likely part of the reason he hasn’t been moved yet

Contract wise? Please do explain. That’s a very hefty contract for a soon to be on the down WR. That’s most likely part of the reason he hasn’t been moved yet
Someone already explained it - $15m year one, $11m year two, and running out of guarantees. Cooper Kupp's contract is $15m/yr on average, although granted I don't know the structure. He was still a top level receiver when on the field, and the only reason to think that might change dramatically is the injury.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Someone already explained it - $15m year one, $11m year two, and running out of guarantees. Cooper Kupp's contract is $15m/yr on average, although granted I don't know the structure. He was still a top level receiver when on the field, and the only reason to think that might change dramatically is the injury.

Too much money for an aging vet. Do you really honestly think the only thing keeping teams from trading for him is injuries?? Teams take bigger chances on much worse. Laughable honestly to think that’s the reason