• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
Zrebiec says that Oliver has done well so far and could stick - but it's gonna be interesting to see what happens with Ben Mason and whether we end up keeping eric tomlinson as a pure in-line blocker

I'm wondering if they are looking for another pass catcher at the position. Other than Andrews, none of them are really "known" for catching passes. Boyle is sneaky, but, still, he's mainly a blocker.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
oliver is more of a receiver - he'd be the extra receiving option in that spot if he makes it

I thought so too with Oliver. But 2 years of essentially no playing due to injury... 3rd round pick, tho. That's a decent area for a TE. He was clearly thought highly of by JAC. But I'm always looking at signalling by teams this time of year. Tyler Eifert is still out there too if they are seeking a vet. I was surprised to see another TE try-out is all.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I thought so too with Oliver. But 2 years of essentially no playing due to injury... 3rd round pick, tho. That's a decent area for a TE. He was clearly thought highly of by JAC. But I'm always looking at signalling by teams this time of year. Tyler Eifert is still out there too if they are seeking a vet. I was surprised to see another TE try-out is all.

for sure - but nick boyle's not practicing yet, pat ricard's not back yet (FB but does some TE stuff), and jacob breeland's still not cleared to practice or play so it's possible that they're looking for warm bodies with a chance to make it... not necessarily indicative of what they think about the guys on the team beyond the fact that they havent answered the question yet through OTAs etc. who's gonna be TE3 (which was always unlikely to be answered by now anyway)

by all accounts it sounds like Oliver is miles ahead of everyone else (as a receiver) and my guess is that when they put the pads back on that Tomlinson's miles ahead of everyone else as an in-line blocker

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
for sure - but nick boyle's not practicing yet, pat ricard's not back yet (FB but does some TE stuff), and jacob breeland's still not cleared to practice or play so it's possible that they're looking for warm bodies with a chance to make it... not necessarily indicative of what they think about the guys on the team beyond the fact that they havent answered the question yet through OTAs etc. who's gonna be TE3 (which was always unlikely to be answered by now anyway)

by all accounts it sounds like Oliver is miles ahead of everyone else (as a receiver) and my guess is that when they put the pads back on that Tomlinson's miles ahead of everyone else as an in-line blocker

If Oliver can stay healthy, he will do a great job of filling that Hurt receiving part of the role.. not so much on Hurst’s blocking level, but Oliver is a solid receiving TE.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
If Oliver can stay healthy, he will do a great job of filling that Hurt receiving part of the role.. not so much on Hurst’s blocking level, but Oliver is a solid receiving TE.

I hope that's the case. I've said for awhile that what Hurst did for the team went almost completely unappreciated or unnoticed by fans.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I hope that's the case. I've said for awhile that what Hurst did for the team went almost completely unappreciated or unnoticed by fans.
Hurst was a glorified fullback. Anybody who can motion in and out of the backfield, lead block or kick out block, and catch a swing pass or sneak out into the flats, can do what hurst did.

hurst is a freak athlete with sure hands and an underrated blocker, and yeah he’s a great guy and I always wish him the best, but his actual skills as a TE are severely lacking.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Hurst was a glorified fullback. Anybody who can motion in and out of the backfield, lead block or kick out block, and catch a swing pass or sneak out into the flats, can do what hurst did.

hurst is a freak athlete with sure hands and an underrated blocker, and yeah he’s a great guy and I always wish him the best, but his actual skills as a TE are severely lacking.

i honestly think the best thing that could happen to Hurst would be hitting free agency this offseason and getting picked up by the Jets with Mike LaFleur at OC and maybe converting into an offensive weapon type guy and be used in more of a similar way to the way Juice is used in san francisco in that same system

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i honestly think the best thing that could happen to Hurst would be hitting free agency this offseason and getting picked up by the Jets with Mike LaFleur at OC and maybe converting into an offensive weapon type guy and be used in more of a similar way to the way Juice is used in san francisco in that same system
He was essentially Juices replacement for us, that was where most of his work came from. He’s an H back who can lay some nice open field blocks and if you hit him in stride he can get away in a hurry, but nothing about him strikes me as a NFL TE, I feel like he’s got very little ideas about actually running a route or finding soft spots.

TE just isn’t a position I wanna manufacture catch and run plays for.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He was essentially Juices replacement for us, that was where most of his work came from. He’s an H back who can lay some nice open field blocks and if you hit him in stride he can get away in a hurry, but nothing about him strikes me as a NFL TE, I feel like he’s got very little ideas about actually running a route or finding soft spots.

TE just isn’t a position I wanna manufacture catch and run plays for.

he runs routes like a TE who's a blocking TE - but he just happens to also have great hands and great athleticism

i like that as a team we're drafting route-runners now

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
he runs routes like a TE who's a blocking TE - but he just happens to also have great hands and great athleticism

i like that as a team we're drafting route-runners now
He runs routes like someone who thinks that going balls to the wall hard as fuck with every step is the best method to get open. Going into his 4th year and he still seems to have developed no nuance at all.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor

Doesn’t seem like an official kind of Twitter

I will never understand why this team thinks bringing in an over the hill back is a good move. It takes away snaps from the young guys unless he’s strictly used as a backup and not part of a trio (which won’t be the case, Harbaugh loves his veteran players)

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I will never understand why this team thinks bringing in an over the hill back is a good move. It takes away snaps from the young guys unless he’s strictly used as a backup and not part of a trio (which won’t be the case, Harbaugh loves his veteran players)
Gurley as the third down back sounds pretty nice I’m not gonna lie, don’t give him much heavy lifting and let him be our primary receiving/blitz pickup back, he’s no stranger to that and could still be a playmaker in that area

still would prefer something else. If he comes for super cheap then I’m cool with it, only for the reasons I listed above

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor

Obviously this isn't official yet, but I wonder if we're just signing him to create competition with Hill? JK and Gus are obviously going to get the majority of carries in our offense, but neither one has extensive experience catching passes out of the backfield. Gurley may have "old man knees", but at least he's proven to be a great pass-catching back and wouldn't need to play a huge role on our team. I also don't think he would be guaranteed to make the team since he doesn't play ST and Hill has already shown to be pretty solid in that area.

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Obviously this isn't official yet, but I wonder if we're just signing him to create competition with Hill? JK and Gus are obviously going to get the majority of carries in our offense, but neither one has extensive experience catching passes out of the backfield. Gurley may have "old man knees", but at least he's proven to be a great pass-catching back and wouldn't need to play a huge role on our team. I also don't think he would be guaranteed to make the team since he doesn't play ST and Hill has already shown to be pretty solid in that area.

Maybe. If so, I’m on

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Gurley as the third down back sounds pretty nice I’m not gonna lie, don’t give him much heavy lifting and let him be our primary receiving/blitz pickup back, he’s no stranger to that and could still be a playmaker in that area

still would prefer something else. If he comes for super cheap then I’m cool with it, only for the reasons I listed above

Every time I think we don’t need him, I just take a peek at the 2nd half of our schedule. That alone, makes me think it’s a decent signing. That last 7 games is Gon rough

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Every time I think we don’t need him, I just take a peek at the 2nd half of our schedule. That alone, makes me think it’s a decent signing. That last 7 games is Gon rough
Exactly. The more I’ve thought about it the more I like it. There are bound to be situations in critical moments where we KNOW dobbins is too inexperienced to handle, and Gus isn’t inexperienced but just maybe not valuable enough on third down, gurley gives us a “been there done that” guy who was in the OPOY/FTAP conversation year after year and had been especially effective in receiving situations.

if you really think about it he would bring another dimension in a way

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I’d buy a Gurley jersey in a hot minute