• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'd be surprised if he even makes it to camp. Has played 3 games in the last 3 seasons. His career is circling the drain.
I wrote the dude off. Never materialised and frankly probably never will. He reminded me of Ras I Dowling. At least we didn’t spend some super high pick on him lol

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Is there any chance that the Ravens get anything out of Iman Marshall next season? He was a 4th round pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I refuse to believe he exists

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
He’s gone, isn’t he? :(

903F8DFE-09B0-450B-86DA-826231FE97D4.jpeg

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
He’s gone, isn’t he? :(

View attachment 3050
I think Bozeman is gone. Not sure we will be willing to pay him what he wants, which is reportedly top 5 money. I've also heard we are far apart, but that could narrow closer to the deadline.

Also this graphic shows how good Creed Humphrey was in pass blocking win rate. I wanted to draft him where we drafted Oweh at #31. Yes Creed went in the 2nd round with our original pick, but he's worth a first round pick. That being said, I'm very happy with Oweh, but was a little concerned after we drafted him.

Simba

Staff Member
I’m curious what we end up doing with Chris Westry. He was the hyped CB coming out of camp but then had like 4 different injuries and basically fell out of favor in the last couple of games. He’s an RFA and I can’t imagine he’s worth the price of any tender, but also don’t want to move on from him. Wonder if you can give him a 1 year deal with a tiny bit guaranteed to get him to sign now so we don’t have to worry about the tender situation.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I’m curious what we end up doing with Chris Westry. He was the hyped CB coming out of camp but then had like 4 different injuries and basically fell out of favor in the last couple of games. He’s an RFA and I can’t imagine he’s worth the price of any tender, but also don’t want to move on from him. Wonder if you can give him a 1 year deal with a tiny bit guaranteed to get him to sign now so we don’t have to worry about the tender situation.
Westry isnt good at all

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I mean the cheapest tender is like $2-2.5M. Not cost prohibitive at all in my opinion.
I certainly wouldn't bring him back as a starter, but I don't think we're in position to be turning away guys like him. Already could easily lose Averett and maybe Young, and I don't think we're in a position in the draft where we can be using like 2-3 picks on Corners. So I wouldn't be certain that the draft will bring better fruits than Westry without using a decently high draft pick. Even like a 4th or 5th rounder is going to struggle mightily in year 1 if thrust into any sort of significant role.

I would fully expect him to be retained.

Simba

Staff Member
I mean the cheapest tender is like $2-2.5M. Not cost prohibitive at all in my opinion.
I certainly wouldn't bring him back as a starter, but I don't think we're in position to be turning away guys like him. Already could easily lose Averett and maybe Young, and I don't think we're in a position in the draft where we can be using like 2-3 picks on Corners. So I wouldn't be certain that the draft will bring better fruits than Westry without using a decently high draft pick. Even like a 4th or 5th rounder is going to struggle mightily in year 1 if thrust into any sort of significant role.

I would fully expect him to be retained.

I also expect him to be retained but I’d be very surprised if we pay him that tender amount.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I also expect him to be retained but I’d be very surprised if we pay him that tender amount.
I mean I don't see why not. He's an ERFA, and historically, the Ravens very rarely don't extend tenders to ERFAs. He would certainly fit the mold of somebody they would tender. I certainly don't think its a price issue, considering the low price tag of an RFA to begin with. We paid TCC and Welch similar price tags last year as ERFAs.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I mean I don't see why not. He's an ERFA, and historically, the Ravens very rarely don't extend tenders to ERFAs. He would certainly fit the mold of somebody they would tender. I certainly don't think its a price issue, considering the low price tag of an RFA to begin with. We paid TCC and Welch similar price tags last year as ERFAs.

pretty sure westry's an RFA not a erfa - still think we keep him but more expensive than erfas

Simba

Staff Member

Yeah he’s a RFA, which means $2.5M roughly on an original round tender. ERFA would be a no brainer.

marklar

Pro Bowler
Yeah he’s a RFA, which means $2.5M roughly on an original round tender. ERFA would be a no brainer.

That seems a lot. If they keep him, it will have to be a lower contract, like they did w Campanaro in year 4. The health issues make him too bigof a risk at 2.5

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
pretty sure westry's an RFA not a erfa - still think we keep him but more expensive than erfas
So Spotrac has him as an ERFA, while OTC has him as an RFA. The cutoff between ERFA and RFA should be three accrued seasons.

He spent all of 2019 on IR, which DOES count as an accrued season.
2021 would also have been an accrued season

The question for me is 2020. If I read the NFL's language, he would needed to have been on the active 53 man, or on IR, for at least six games, in order to qualify. Based on what I can tell, he was only on the 53 man for two games in 2020 (week 14 and 15), he spent the first 13 weeks prior to that on the Practice Squad (does not count towards accrued seasons from what I can tell), and then reversed back to the P/S after two games.

So the way I read this, he should have 2 accrued seasons, which makes him an ERFA, instead of an RFA. Could be wrong, but that's at least the way I read it.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
That seems a lot. If they keep him, it will have to be a lower contract, like they did w Campanaro in year 4. The health issues make him too bigof a risk at 2.5
Maybe, but they likely extend the tender before they come to terms on a contract. You can always pull the tender, but if I extend you an offer at $2.5M, it doesn't really logically make sense for the player to accept another offer for less than that, unless there's an actual threat of pulling the offer and sending them to FA, which would probably occur later in the FA period.

Simba

Staff Member
So Spotrac has him as an ERFA, while OTC has him as an RFA. The cutoff between ERFA and RFA should be three accrued seasons.

He spent all of 2019 on IR, which DOES count as an accrued season.
2021 would also have been an accrued season

The question for me is 2020. If I read the NFL's language, he would needed to have been on the active 53 man, or on IR, for at least six games, in order to qualify. Based on what I can tell, he was only on the 53 man for two games in 2020 (week 14 and 15), he spent the first 13 weeks prior to that on the Practice Squad (does not count towards accrued seasons from what I can tell), and then reversed back to the P/S after two games.

So the way I read this, he should have 2 accrued seasons, which makes him an ERFA, instead of an RFA. Could be wrong, but that's at least the way I read it.

The Ravens have him listed as a RFA on their own site. And just for future reference, always trust OTC over Spotrac.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Ravens have him listed as a RFA on their own site. And just for future reference, always trust OTC over Spotrac.
Where on the Ravens website do they list him as an RFA?
I prefer OTC over Spotrac, but you're going to be disappointed if you're always trusting either. They make mistakes frequently.
I've tried looking to find an explanation for how he would qualify as an RFA, and I've not seen that yet. The only way he seemingly would is if being on the P/S counts as obtaining an accrued season, which everything I'm seeing suggests it doesn't.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
either way i think it's moot because 2.5m for a guy you'd be ok with playing outside corner for you if the starters went down seems like a fine price to pay for 1 year
Correct. It's $1-1.5M more than the bare minimum you would have to pay the guy anyway, we historically tender pretty much all of our RFA's and ERFAs, and we've given similar tenders to players who fit in similar spots on the depth chart before, so I see no reason why it wouldn't happen this time also.

Simba

Staff Member
Where on the Ravens website do they list him as an RFA?
I prefer OTC over Spotrac, but you're going to be disappointed if you're always trusting either. They make mistakes frequently.
I've tried looking to find an explanation for how he would qualify as an RFA, and I've not seen that yet. The only way he seemingly would is if being on the P/S counts as obtaining an accrued season, which everything I'm seeing suggests it doesn't.

They did a photo album of all of the upcoming free agents and he's listed as a RFA

Simba

Staff Member
either way i think it's moot because 2.5m for a guy you'd be ok with playing outside corner for you if the starters went down seems like a fine price to pay for 1 year

See, I disagree here which is why I brought it up in the first place. I'd have felt a lot better about it had he been on the field at the end of the year but he had like 4 injuries all season and once he got healthy, Seymour and the ghost of Jimmy Smith both got time on defense over him. He was basically a ST only guy in the last few games. Just can't see paying a guy that played 6 games and couldn't stay healthy that much money. Sure it's not a ton but I don't see him as anything more than a bit over the minimum type of guy right now.