• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

Simba

Staff Member
Lots of contracts outside of the top guys and whoever Jacksonville signed aren’t hitting what people expected. Market just doesn’t seem to be there this year. Not surprised by Averett having to take a 1 year deal regardless, but feels like there are going to be some surprising ones that end up doing it to try to hit the market again next year.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I’ll be honest… I’d pay that for him
agree, but he may have only wanted a one year deal and we may not be able to do a one year deal in this situation and we may want to sign someone else with higher priority. Now a 2-yr contract may have been easier but if we draft Stingley or Sauce he instantly is the #3 WR and where does that put Averett. Averett may be in the better position to prove himself.

I'm hoping we get an opportunity to sign Bozeman / Tretter, but a reasonable contract.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Yeah I'm surprised he didn't do slightly better. I thought he'd get a multi-year at maybe $7-8M a year.
Think he wants to play on a prove it deal again and test the market next year.
I was expecting even more than that, just considering position value. Guess he knows he can’t take a prove it deal here because if guys are healthy he’s got less opportunity.

Just odd to me because he really had a good year, he got a lot of flack but he was targeted A LOT and aside from a few games, namely the colts game, he was excellent on the ball.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I was expecting even more than that, just considering position value. Guess he knows he can’t take a prove it deal here because if guys are healthy he’s got less opportunity.

Just odd to me because he really had a good year, he got a lot of flack but he was targeted A LOT and aside from a few games, namely the colts game, he was excellent on the ball.

the CB market in general hasnt boomed the way it might have - got to wonder if a lot of these teams arent as desperate because they've seen this CB class in the draft and feel comfortable that if they dont get the FA that they can address it so it's driving down the prices

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Do we think there's going to be any news today after what happened yesterday lol. Even if it is Boykin being cut? Or AR we expected to just totally go dark now.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Do we think there's going to be any news today after what happened yesterday lol. Even if it is Boykin being cut? Or AR we expected to just totally go dark now.

if we hear anything, i think it's either going to be some low-level re-signings of guys like chris board or it'll be C

think DL wont happen today because they've got the Goldman visit tomorrow and will want to see how that goes before they make any decisions i think - probably important because the only 2 other DL we know they definitively have interest in are Calais Campbell and Michael Pierce who've both played here already (so they dont need a visit in the way they seemingly want with Goldman)

i think the best we can hope for is a C signing but the whole market has been really slow this year - my best guess is nothing happens today

probably slowest the free agency market has been in my recent memory

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Anyone wanna guess the range that Sheldon Richardson could be signed for?

last year he played on a 1 year deal at sub-4m and didnt exactly blow the league wide apart or anything
i imagine he'll want more than that but may well have to settle for the same or even less
Matt Ioannidis just got cut yesterday too so that adds to the 3-4 DE type market too to add to calais and richardson etc.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
if we hear anything, i think it's either going to be some low-level re-signings of guys like chris board or it'll be C

think DL wont happen today because they've got the Goldman visit tomorrow and will want to see how that goes before they make any decisions i think - probably important because the only 2 other DL we know they definitively have interest in are Calais Campbell and Michael Pierce who've both played here already (so they dont need a visit in the way they seemingly want with Goldman)

i think the best we can hope for is a C signing but the whole market has been really slow this year - my best guess is nothing happens today

Yeah its been super interesting. I wonder if something like Watson happens and then there's a frenzy

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
last year he played on a 1 year deal at sub-4m and didnt exactly blow the league wide apart or anything
i imagine he'll want more than that but may well have to settle for the same or even less
Matt Ioannidis just got cut yesterday too so that adds to the 3-4 DE type market too to add to calais and richardson etc.
Yeah that makes sense. I see 3 objectives left and you technically only need to do the third one, the first two are luxuries if possible.

1 C
1 DL
Fill out the backend with the Chris Boards of the world who were already here last year.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

there were a lot of moves during the tampering period and yes that is how it always is, but I believe there were more than normal so the actual beginning of FA was a little slower. That being said including tampering I really don't think it's that much slower.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
there were a lot of moves during the tampering period and yes that is how it always is, but I believe there were more than normal so the actual beginning of FA was a little slower. That being said including tampering I really don't think it's that much slower.

i think, maybe it's just my perception, but even the tampering period was slower than it has been in the past in totality - like yes lots of moves happened quickly, but the volume of top free agents coming off the market was, and continues to be, slower than in recent years

the fact that there's still about half of the top 20 or so free agents available says a lot to me

JAAM

Hall of Famer