• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Honestly it's really Zadarius Smith agent that does all the talking. This isn't Zadarius Smith issue or his fault but at the same time if you was in his shoes and had the opportunity to make more money else where you probably would do the same. Football isn't just our entertainment but it's a career for most of these players and coaches. They have to do what's best for themselves and their family. Can't be really mad at that at all atleast not me

the thing that's frustrating isnt him finding more money elsewhere
it's the fact that they verbally agreed and then pulled out - which ultimately is fine but i still dont understand how they misjudged their own value so poorly that they pulled out of that deal

rossihunter2

Staff Member
50 million is insane. They cannot build a roster around him at that number. If 50 million is what it takes at that point you might as well try to get a massive haul and rebuild because it will be the same result. Also realistically no QB is going to pass that number for the next 3 years at least (until maybe Herbert's time comes and even then that is a big maybe).

50m would be the aav not the cap hit

and did you really say that no QB's gonna pass that number for the next 3 years?
because aaron rodgers already got it...

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
What is weird is of those 4 teams the Browns probably were the best offer. The Saints are a mess with massive cap issues, the Falcons have no defense whatsoever and will not be going anywhere. The Panthers have potential but do not have any great players which leaves the Browns who probably have one of the most talented rosters in the NFL not counting QB so basically he is eliminating the best teams first. Clearly Watson's ability to judge NFL rosters is about as fine as his character.
I totally disagree with you here. Let me paint for you another picture

AFC QB:
Patrick Mahomes, Russell Wilson, Justin Herbert, Lamar Jackson, Joe Burrow, Josh Allen

Honestly, only the AFC South sucks there for QB. Who do you really have in the NFC? Rodgers and Brady.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
50m would be the aav not the cap hit

and did you really say that no QB's gonna pass that number for the next 3 years?
because aaron rodgers already got it...

Yes the number Rodgers just got is going to stay at the top for the next 3 years which is the obvious context (and they are already slicing their roster up and that is with manageable cap hits this year and next. Herbert is the only QB who might come close but I doubt it. If you are paying 50 million AAV, taking a haul of first round picks and starting over seems more prudent.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I totally disagree with you here. Let me paint for you another picture

AFC QB:
Patrick Mahomes, Russell Wilson, Justin Herbert, Lamar Jackson, Joe Burrow, Josh Allen

Honestly, only the AFC South sucks there for QB. Who do you really have in the NFC? Rodgers and Brady.

QBs do not win on their own (and these guys are never on the field as the same time as the other). If the pieces around you are terrible it doesnt mean anything. The Falcons have no defense and their weapons are not what they used to be so you basically are going to have to have a shootout with inferior weapons and the Saints are already trimming the talent before trying to fit a 35 million AAV over the next 4 years under their cap (and despite that they are already 20 million over next years cap before the draft and before executing the trade).

Yes the AFC is loaded but if you are going to win a Super Bowl you are going to have to beat the best in the NFL anyway so running from the best in the NFL is pointless and you may as well find the best roster and trust yourself to elevate it.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
the thing that's frustrating isnt him finding more money elsewhere
it's the fact that they verbally agreed and then pulled out - which ultimately is fine but i still dont understand how they misjudged their own value so poorly that they pulled out of that deal

That's understandable. The verbal agreement happened after Von Miller and Chandler Jones deal whom are both older than Z Smith. I guess Z Smith agent didn't think his client would get a better deal at first due him missing so much time due to his back injury last year but when he saw what Von Miller and Chandler Jones got contract wise it probably led to him believing further that he was potentially setting up a bad deal for his client. Z Smith was one of the better pass rushers in the league and I think he graded higher than both Miller and Jones as pash rush a year ago. Von Miller deal alone is crazy especially at this age and decline in play. I guess Z Smith agent in the end felt like if those guys can get that much than no doubt about it his client can get the same if not more.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Frustrating day Ravens wise. Haydn Hurst to Bengals is big for them. Myles Jack can still play. And Z. Smith fell through.
Is Seattle LB at all in play? (Wagner)

Pierce is an upgrade over Williams and Ellis but not super hyped on it. Was a huge Pierce fan but that's a few years now.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I just hope Pierce's deal is largely incentives. I don't want him showing up overweight and with horrible conditioning again.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
QBs do not win on their own (and these guys are never on the field as the same time as the other). If the pieces around you are terrible it doesnt mean anything. The Falcons have no defense and their weapons are not what they used to be so you basically are going to have to have a shootout with inferior weapons and the Saints are already trimming the talent before trying to fit a 35 million AAV over the next 4 years under their cap (and despite that they are already 20 million over next years cap before the draft and before executing the trade).

Yes the AFC is loaded but if you are going to win a Super Bowl you are going to have to beat the best in the NFL anyway so running from the best in the NFL is pointless and you may as well find the best roster and trust yourself to elevate it.
Yeah for sure QB don’t win it alone but they do get paid the most and are considered the driving force between winning and losing. I agree with your premise but just saying I disagree with how you’re viewing it. I think Watson absolutely does view it that way I mentioned, but that’s pure conjecture. I think that if you are torn and there’s no QB in place then you will evaluate it all. He’s also from down that way and I’m sure that plays a role too.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Great post on clowns board!

I think the timeline goes like this:

Browns: We love you Baker, we’re going to extend your 5th year and you are going to be our starter in 2022
Baker: Great, I had my surgery and I should be healed in time for Training Camp.
Browns: Hey Deshaun, we’re going to offer 3 first rounders and a bunch of starters (including Baker) if you are willing to patronize the NE Ohio massage parlors.
Baker: You want to trade me? Fuck you, I demand to be traded!
Browns: No we don’t want to trade you now!

Did I miss anything?