• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

D1City55

Pro Bowler
I really hope Campbell comes back, that would be a massive loss if he leaves. Dude is a stud irregardless of his age, I'm sure he's taking his time and looking at all his options but it would be massive if we can bring him back.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
I really hope Campbell comes back, that would be a massive loss if he leaves. Dude is a stud irregardless of his age, I'm sure he's taking his time and looking at all his options but it would be massive if we can bring him back.

Yeah, he's still balling out even with his old age and he's a great mentor for the young guys on the team. Would definitely be sad to see him go, but we'll see what happens.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Yeah that's great and all, but the Steelers haven't been a dominant franchise with that approach either. They've struggled with drafting Olineman, linebackers (hilarious that Pittsburgh can't draft linebackers) and even secondary players for several years now. Sure they'll always be deep and quality at receiver, but that's just one position.

A lot of this is situational. What does your team need, what resources do you have to get it.

I've commented about this before. We're now in the middle of the transition where the Ravens will likely be spending most of their salary cap capital on offensive players, because we don't have a lot of high quality, young, defensive players who are up for extensions. Marlon already got paid. He's basically "it" in terms of homegrown talent that will require a significant financial investment for probably the next 3-4 years.

So if you're not paying your quality receiver when its time, what else are you doing? You need a receiver somewhere. You can go into the draft and get one (maybe), but then where are you spending the money? In FA on other positions? I'd rather keep my own and know what I'm getting.

If you came to me and said "we've gotta lose three high quality starters at various positions in order to pay Hollywood $22M a year", then I'll be all ears on a discussion to not pay him. But in a lot of cases, these teams aren't losing high end players at other spots to keep these guys. They're just losing a bunch of mid tier players at non-premium positions, and they like their chances of getting those players in the draft.
Steelers havent been dominant but they also havent had a losing season in 15yrs.. their oline also have pretty good throughout the yrs for sure.. they drafted lawerence timmons and woodley consecutive then ryan shazier who was pretty good before that unfortunate injury and now devin bush, who isnt that good so far..they struggle with secondary for sure but idk about lb and oline

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Steelers havent been dominant but they also havent had a losing season in 15yrs.. their oline also have pretty good throughout the yrs for sure.. they drafted lawerence timmons and woodley consecutive then ryan shazier who was pretty good before that unfortunate injury and now devin bush, who isnt that good so far..they struggle with secondary for sure but idk about lb and oline
Shazier was drafted eight years ago. That's an eternity by NFL standards.
None of the offensive lineman they've taken in recent memory are more than basically average. The guys that were actually studs, like Pouncey and DeCastro, were 2010 and 2012 draft picks. That's a lifetime ago.
The reason nobody talks about how bad the Steelers Oline has been for the last 2-3 years is because Ben stopped throwing deep and they get the ball out super quick, which is also both a blessing and a curse for their offense.
If they put an offense together that attacked down field like, say, the Chiefs or the Bills, those QBs would get killed behind the Oline they've put out there the last 2-3 years.

Not having a losing season in 15 years is great and all, but their last 10 years aren't really all that impressive. Four division titles (in a division with the Bengals and Browns), three playoff wins, zero playoff wins in the last five years.
Comparable to the Ravens, who have two playoff wins in ten years and one in the last five years.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
I would agree but we don’t win that super bowl with cam Cameron

Probably not, but we still won with Caldwell who took over near the end of the season and didn't have much play-calling experience

Also, Flacco would have manned up and told Kyle to fuck off with the running plays. Dude literally audibled on 4th and 1 to throw a jump ball to Boldin with zero fucks to give lol

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Shazier was drafted eight years ago. That's an eternity by NFL standards.
None of the offensive lineman they've taken in recent memory are more than basically average. The guys that were actually studs, like Pouncey and DeCastro, were 2010 and 2012 draft picks. That's a lifetime ago.
The reason nobody talks about how bad the Steelers Oline has been for the last 2-3 years is because Ben stopped throwing deep and they get the ball out super quick, which is also both a blessing and a curse for their offense.
If they put an offense together that attacked down field like, say, the Chiefs or the Bills, those QBs would get killed behind the Oline they've put out there the last 2-3 years.

Not having a losing season in 15 years is great and all, but their last 10 years aren't really all that impressive. Four division titles (in a division with the Bengals and Browns), three playoff wins, zero playoff wins in the last five years.
Comparable to the Ravens, who have two playoff wins in ten years and one in the last five years.
Shazier was eight yrs ago but he played a few and then bush was drafted not long after.. decastro and pouncey was drafted in 2012 and played forever with steelers.. dnt forgot about marcus gilbert and the belchuam guy.. yea theyve had no problem drafting oline and lbs at all lol.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Shazier was eight yrs ago but he played a few and then bush was drafted not long after.. decastro and pouncey was drafted in 2012 and played forever with steelers.. dnt forgot about marcus gilbert and the belchuam guy.. yea theyve had no problem drafting oline and lbs at all lol.
I mean... do you consider 8-10 years ago recent?

List for me the quality linebackers or Olineman they've drafted in the last five years? All I want is names.

I'm not sure why you're doing like a 10-15 year evaluation of a position group. You're on an island on that one.

That's like saying the Ravens are recent SB champions.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I mean... do you consider 8-10 years ago recent?

List for me the quality linebackers or Olineman they've drafted in the last five years? All I want is names.

I'm not sure why you're doing like a 10-15 year evaluation of a position group. You're on an island on that one.

That's like saying the Ravens are recent SB champions.
Why does everything have to be so technical with you? You treat this site like it's your job

• Haha
Reactions: cdp

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Probably not, but we still won with Caldwell who took over near the end of the season and didn't have much play-calling experience

Also, Flacco would have manned up and told Kyle to fuck off with the running plays. Dude literally audibled on 4th and 1 to throw a jump ball to Boldin with zero fucks to give lol
Flacco had elephant sized balls that run lol

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Why does everything have to be so technical with you? You treat this site like it's your job
That's a question for Deebo on this one. I was pretty clear with my original response that they've struggled "the last several years".
I will never be able to explain how somebody equates "last several years" to a decade in NFL terms. I'll go to my grave not being able to explain to you that.
You're barking up the wrong tree. Deebo will have to explain why 10 years is recent in his eyes. I got nothing for ya on that one.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
That's a question for Deebo on this one. I was pretty clear with my original response that they've struggled "the last several years".
I will never be able to explain how somebody equates "last several years" to a decade in NFL terms. I'll go to my grave not being able to explain to you that.
You're barking up the wrong tree. Deebo will have to explain why 10 years is recent in his eyes. I got nothing for ya on that one.
But why is it such a big deal? Dude just casually commented on something and you’re blasting him with essays about how wrong he is. Like why is this shit so serious to you?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
so you're just going to ignore @JAAM question. He wasn't just referring to your most recent discussion with @Deebo813

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
But why is it such a big deal? Dude just casually commented on something and you’re blasting him with essays about how wrong he is. Like why is this shit so serious to you?
Did you actually read the exchange? The initial "blasting" came from him on how wrong I was.
My initial comment about the Steelers literally didn't involve anything Deebo said at all. It was barely even a topic about the Steelers. It was about how or why teams should pay receivers top money.

Wrong tree.