• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think it’s a fair comp and another point is that yes it’s around 20 AAV but one thing I keep saying that I feel you either neglect to address or fail to understand or choose to ignore is that these contracts will likely keep going up. I think we can get Brown for 20-22 right now but next year or after that? No idea man, could be 25+. Hollywood may not have the production Cooks has had but his value is going up and he was used in a run first offense that didn’t heavily use its WRs with guys like Andrews here as well. Let’s see how he does this year but I think his value will continue to climb.

Future production is pretty key here for me since that’s how NFL teams do deals. They may start negotiating based on past performance but they also look at future production when it comes to these deals. Maybe Brown doesn’t get as much guaranteed we will see but I think he’ll push for 25M if we fail to sign him sooner than later
I'm not discounting the possibility of them going up. I'm mostly pointing out that a 20-25% increase in a 1-2 year period doesn't seem logical or likely, and that pretty much all of these guys are slotting in at the same range over like a 2-3 year period now.

Realistically, you're only really talking about next offseason anyway. Next offseason is year 5. If you don't extend him then, he'll be a UFA in two years, in which case its hard to envision him signing an extension like a month or two before he hits the market.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Our needs are as follows:
1a. Edge
1b. DL
3. LB
4. CB
5. OL

DL & Edge are close but for me Edge edges out DL because we have Pierce for NT and Madubuike for DE. That’s a good place to start and does help a lot since DL affects the entire defense. With second year Oweh and veteran Bowser we have some Edge help but not a ton. Can we win with them? Sure. So for me these positions are neck and neck. Problem is, LB is weak. Queen has been OK but I’m not sure he’s really become the all star Lb he could’ve been. Maybe he takes a jump this year. His partner is terrible. I won’t even say his name. Maybe we play more S at LB.

CB is a need because of the WR talent in the conference and our division. Having depth is also critical. We need someone who can get turnovers too as this was a huge issue for us last year with Peters being out.

OL we could be good or could have issues. On paper it’s not bad if it’s Stanley | Someone | Mekari | Zeitler | Moses but it could be a lot better inside and LT is a question mark we won’t know as fans.
Edge 1, CB 2 for me. Dline we need bodies, but I'm not sold we value Dline that much anyway. May change with a new DC, but we pretty much just use the Dline as guys who can take on blocks and free up linebackers to rush and stop the run. So like we need bodies, but I don't think we need studs there to be successful.

LB is a need I think, but as you and others have alluded to, if we play much more Nickel/Dime looks, which most NFL teams do, you're typically either reducing your Dline reliance or your ILB reliance. In a dime package, may only be one inside linebacker on the field (in this case, Queen). Also possible with combinations like Stephens, Clark and any other CBs we add in the draft, that yes, you can have some hybrid Safety/Linebacker roles.

marklar

Pro Bowler
Any specific reason you expect JK/Gus to be recovering when the season starts? Both will be a full year since the ACLs which seems to be more than enough time based on previous ACLs.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Any specific reason you expect JK/Gus to be recovering when the season starts? Both will be a full year since the ACLs which seems to be more than enough time based on previous ACLs.
I don't know that it's the case when the season starts.

I'm pretty sure it was either Eric or John that said they'd expect them to start training camp on the PUP list, which means they're still not ready for contact by late July. That's only like 6-7 weeks until start of regular season.

Think primarily its a hedge against a) one of them taking longer to recover b) one or both of them not being as productive after a big injury and c) them not wanting to get stock scraping the bottom of the FA market in August or Sept looking for RBs.

Old Bay

Veteran
not wanting to get stock scraping the bottom of the FA market in August or Sept looking for RBs
giphy (6).gif

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think they will be ready but could start training camp on the pup list. Signing Gordon and brining in a 4th round running back could add to the room. There are a lot of good day 3 RB picks.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
When it comes to Gordon signing I see it as us not wanting to use a draft pick on a RB. We don't have particularly good free agents at other positions so we'll need every pick for defense and at least one OT.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
When it comes to Gordon signing I see it as us not wanting to use a draft pick on a RB. We don't have particularly good free agents at other positions so we'll need every pick for defense and at least one OT.
and we may be able to add another udfa RB also. We have had pretty good success with that, but I don't see it the same way you do.

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
The one "fun" idea regarding Gordon is that you can conceivably run the brakes off of him while Dobbins and Edwards recover. You don't have to think long term with Gordon. He's good enough to tote the rock for a few weeks while Dobbins and Edwards work themselves back in (whether on the roster or on PUP). Cap allocation and cost is the big thing here, but I have no problems with Gordon if it's cheap enough.

It's also worth noting that Gordon has more experience as a pass-catcher out of the backfield than either JK or Gus. This means that once JK and Gus are able to return to their normal workloads, provided that they're still able to produce at or around the same level, then Gordon would still be able to carve out a role in this offense.

As long as Gordon isn't too expensive then I wouldn't hate the move.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well I missed badly on market value here.
I understand letting some of our other guys go, but Tavon Young at under $2M feels like an investment I would have made.
The FO must really hate some of these guys or really, really, really like this draft class for replacements.

TAVON YOUNGDB, CHICAGO BEARS
Tavon Young

Bears signed CB Tavon Young, formerly of the Ravens, to a one-year, $1.4 million contract.​

Young was cut by Baltimore as a cap casualty earlier this offseason. He missed most of the 2020 season with a torn ACL and left multiple games with injuries last year, though he did make an appearance in all 17 contests. He started seven games for the Ravens, totaling one interception and five pass defenses. He also added two sacks to his stat line. At 5'9/185, Young can't be trusted to cover outside receivers, but he is still a capable option in the slot, where he spent most of his time while in Baltimore. The deal is a solid signing from a rookie Chicago front office that has mostly kept quiet this offseason.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Well I missed badly on market value here.
I understand letting some of our other guys go, but Tavon Young at under $2M feels like an investment I would have made.
The FO must really hate some of these guys or really, really, really like this draft class for replacements.

TAVON YOUNGDB, CHICAGO BEARS
Tavon Young

Bears signed CB Tavon Young, formerly of the Ravens, to a one-year, $1.4 million contract.​

Young was cut by Baltimore as a cap casualty earlier this offseason. He missed most of the 2020 season with a torn ACL and left multiple games with injuries last year, though he did make an appearance in all 17 contests. He started seven games for the Ravens, totaling one interception and five pass defenses. He also added two sacks to his stat line. At 5'9/185, Young can't be trusted to cover outside receivers, but he is still a capable option in the slot, where he spent most of his time while in Baltimore. The deal is a solid signing from a rookie Chicago front office that has mostly kept quiet this offseason.
I think it's an indication that we're picking a DB (corner or safety) in the first round

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Atleast its gordon.. i remember when
People thought murry, freeman and tyson were good backs..
Nobody thought any of them were good. People only said Tyson had a good preseason so maybe he would be good.

Then Freeman and Murray stunk up the place and so people again said bring in Tyson. Then he did come back in and he also sucked.

By the end of the year everyone hated all of the backs.

Nurps

Ravens Ring of Honor
Nobody thought any of them were good. People only said Tyson had a good preseason so maybe he would be good.

Then Freeman and Murray stunk up the place and so people again said bring in Tyson. Then he did come back in and he also sucked.

By the end of the year everyone hated all of the backs.
I dont think Ive ever been as disgusted in our run game as I was last year. It was horrific.