• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rossihunter2

Staff Member
If it's true that they're really far apart, and teams were already inquiring about him, surely more will be inquiring now.

Question is, do the Ravens pick up that phone?

if they picked up the phone for deandre hopkins i dont see why they wouldnt for mclaurin

obviously the cap's in a different place and we've got lamar's future deal to worry about but with hollywood gone we also dont have anyone other than lamar and marcus peters that we really need to worry about next offseason which makes a potential move for a star that we have to give a major contract to much more feasible

the question is... what's the price both in contract and draft capital terms?

well i'd use aj brown as a guide - he got 4yr/100m and cost the eagles a 1 and a 3 - i think we're looking at a 1st + something else but idk that it'll necessarily be a 1 and a 3 - i think the ravens would do that in terms of draft capital... not sure they'd do that in terms of contract

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
if they picked up the phone for deandre hopkins i dont see why they wouldnt for mclaurin

obviously the cap's in a different place and we've got lamar's future deal to worry about but with hollywood gone we also dont have anyone other than lamar and marcus peters that we really need to worry about next offseason which makes a potential move for a star that we have to give a major contract to much more feasible

well i'd use aj brown as a guide - he got 4yr/100m and cost the eagles a 1 and a 3 - i think we're looking at a 1st + something else but idk that it'll necessarily be a 1 and a 3 - i think the ravens would do that in terms of draft capital... not sure they'd do that in terms of contract
Yeah i agree. I think the Ravens would gladly use a 1st if it meant you get McLaurin. The thing is are they really gonna pay any WR 25m a year? Is it even responsible in an offense like this?

Should we even be thinking this way? Like GRo doesn't necessarily last forever. Neither does Lamar. Like things can change so quickly its crazy. If you have the opportunity to add a top 10 talent at a very important position you should probably try.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah i agree. I think the Ravens would gladly use a 1st if it meant you get McLaurin. The thing is are they really gonna pay any WR 25m a year? Is it even responsible in an offense like this?

Should we even be thinking this way? Like GRo doesn't necessarily last forever. Neither does Lamar. Like things can change so quickly its crazy. If you have the opportunity to add a top 10 talent at a very important position you should probably try.

i agree with that for sure
the structure of lots of these WR deals hides how much they're actually getting

tyreek hill's deal looks like realistically it's actually a 4yr 95m deal (including the 22yr that already existed) vs the 4yr 120m extension he actually signed

i think something like cooper kupp's deal would be indicative of the kind of contract we might do with Mclaurin (with probably an extra year on the end to make the deal 5 years rather than 4)

we're in a pretty healthy place cap-wise moving forwards - lamar playing on tags would make things more difficult but it seems clear to me looking at our future available space that we've budgeted for lamar

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
i agree with that for sure
the structure of lots of these WR deals hides how much they're actually getting

tyreek hill's deal looks like realistically it's actually a 4yr 95m deal (including the 22yr that already existed) vs the 4yr 120m extension he actually signed

i think something like cooper kupp's deal would be indicative of the kind of contract we might do with Mclaurin (with probably an extra year on the end to make the deal 5 years rather than 4)

we're in a pretty healthy place cap-wise moving forwards - lamar playing on tags would make things more difficult but it seems clear to me looking at our future available space that we've budgeted for lamar
That all makes sense! Do you think that Snyder actually is involved enough in the day to day that he would legitimately bar his GM from trading with the Ravens because he "doesn't like us"?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
That all makes sense! Do you think that Snyder actually is involved enough in the day to day that he would legitimately bar his GM from trading with the Ravens because he "doesn't like us"?

i have no idea - it's not like we're in the division or even the same conference and we likely won't play them until 2024 (outside of preseason) - idk how he could possibly justify not trading to us if we're the highest bidder

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
i have no idea - it's not like we're in the division or even the same conference and we likely won't play them until 2024 (outside of preseason) - idk how he could possibly justify not trading to us if we're the highest bidder
Agreed, it would seem asinine to not trade with us if we were the highest bidder just because we're neighbors.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

I also just don't really see why McLaurin would be on the market or why Washington would trade him. Feels like a very straight forward contact extension coming for him in the next few months.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I also just don't really see why McLaurin would be on the market or why Washington would trade him. Feels like a very straight forward contact extension coming for him in the next few months.
The only reason is because people are reporting the sides are extremely far apart. Who knows how accurate that is, but that's what they're saying

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
The only reason is because people are reporting the sides are extremely far apart. Who knows how accurate that is, but that's what they're saying
Teams and players usually are in this spot.
Commanders have all the leverage, obviously, because he's still under contract for cheap, and they can franchise him next year if they want to.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Teams and players usually are in this spot.
Commanders have all the leverage, obviously, because he's still under contract for cheap, and they can franchise him next year if they want to.

you say that but the model has changed - he's in the exact same position as aj brown, deebo samuel, hollywood, dk etc... 2 of those guys have already been traded and with the precedent also set by tyreek and davante this offseason too it's not far-fetched to think someone else could/would be this offseason too

he's already held out of minicamp too (unlike deebo) - it's not that washington wants to get rid of him, it's that the playbook for WRs has changed now

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
you say that but the model has changed - he's in the exact same position as aj brown, deebo samuel, hollywood, dk etc... 2 of those guys have already been traded and with the precedent also set by tyreek and davante this offseason too it's not far-fetched to think someone else could/would be this offseason too

he's already held out of minicamp too (unlike deebo) - it's not that washington wants to get rid of him, it's that the playbook for WRs has changed now
I mean has it really changed though? Or is the playbook case-by-case based on whether a team wants to pay the player or not?
Affordability is a factor. Can those teams afford to pay those players? Do they want to pay those players?

A roster holdout in OTAs is hardly new. There's multiple of them every year across various positions.

If McLaurin is getting traded, its either because a) Washington doesn't want to pay him like a #1 WR, and think they can replace him elsewhere (basically what the Titans did) or b) he makes it extremely clear that he basically won't sign an extension with the team and asks to be traded (basically what Hollywood did).

Holding out has lost a lot of its luster in terms of leverage, namely because its so expensive for the player to do it now. The only real leverage they have is to say they want out and to make it clear they won't re-sign there. That's the only leverage that forces their hand.

We get to that point, I'll get on board. But its extremely premature for fans to start pretending like every disgruntled WR is automatically getting traded. That's where we're at now.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
no I don't think he would bar his GM from making a trade. This used to happen pre Vinny Cerrato, except for the Gibbs years, being fired though, but I don't believe it's happened since.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
They just drafted a wr and have a few contracts coming up would be the only reasons I think. They also might not believe in handing wrs money like that.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
"Details of the injury settlement are unclear, but the Ravens are expected to create some cap space with Wolfe’s departure."

per Zrebiec in his latest athletic article
so i guess there was some compromise on how much of the guaranteed money Wolfe got to keep
I guess they must have told him that they would contest his guaranteed salary because of his shenanigans of not getting surgery when he easily could have last year and then carrying a bear 20 days ago which could've led to complications with his back. So, he settled instead of going to arbitration. A lot of imagination went into this thought process. Don't you dare shoot it down, guys!

Would be a nice pick up if possible

Screenshot_20220615-000220_Facebook.jpg

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
I guess they must have told him that they would contest his guaranteed salary because of his shenanigans of not getting surgery when he easily could have last year and then carrying a bear 20 days ago which could've led to complications with his back. So, he settled instead of going to arbitration. A lot of imagination went into this thought process. Don't you dare shoot it down, guys!
He did the team dirty! Good riddance!