• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer

This is interesting if true. I wonder how that would've worked out if he didn't get hurt.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Not a fan of the Dez signing but it doesn’t hurt since he’s still on the PS and probably still better than Boykin. I just hope this doesn’t deter us from making a move for a talented WR still on his rookie contract.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

This is interesting if true. I wonder how that would've worked out if he didn't get hurt.

4.3m left of cap hit this year to take on would have mean some pretty decent restructuring lol - we already must have done a sneaky restructure to get under the cap for Ngakoue

but if that's the kind of money we're looking at then lots of the WRs and TEs on the trade block can be had around that price

im assuming EDC is constantly talking to every GM about everyone at this time of year but im surprised we put in a concrete offer for Ertz if that is true

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think it would’ve been a bad way to allocate resources
I mean... what's the difference between signing Ertz or Dez? I like Ertz as a blocker significantly more, and neither is anything other than a big body that will help in the red zone or in the middle of the field.

I don't know how we would have been able to afford to pay Ertz the like $4M we would have owed him for the rest of the year, but I also don't know when these negotiations took place. Could have been before Yannick. I can't imagine we would do both.

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
Not a fan of the Dez signing but it doesn’t hurt since he’s still on the PS and probably still better than Boykin. I just hope this doesn’t deter us from making a move for a talented WR still on his rookie contract.

I don't know if he's better than Boykins but he still could possibly add to The Ravens passing game as a red zone threat. I don't really think The Ravens will be trading for a talented wide receiver on their rookie contract. Boykins and others would have to look really bad in order for them to do so which hasn't been the case so far. The Ravens only have 5 picks in the draft and I don't think they need to panic by giving up even more draft capital for a wide receiver that probably isn't a number one receiver either.

Fast Eddie

Practice Squad
Yea, this Dez signing could be really nice if that tweet is any indication of his commitment. I hope he breaks the roster.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I mean... what's the difference between signing Ertz or Dez? I like Ertz as a blocker significantly more, and neither is anything other than a big body that will help in the red zone or in the middle of the field.

I don't know how we would have been able to afford to pay Ertz the like $4M we would have owed him for the rest of the year, but I also don't know when these negotiations took place. Could have been before Yannick. I can't imagine we would do both.
You said it already though, the difference is dez is essentially free and ertz carries a fairly significant cost.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
1. I don't see a lot of teams (or any teams really) interested in trading a talented WR on his rookie deal.
2. Said players are a lot more expensive than what we gave up for, say, Yannick.

I'm obviously the "we're never going to trade" guy, and I'm still surprised we made the deal for Yannick, but ultimately, trading for Yannick makes a hell of a lot more sense than trading for any decent WR would in my eyes. Why? Well, simple... our offense is young. Its young all over the place. Our Dline and pass rush is not. The Ravens realized (probably too late in my eyes) that our pass rush has sort of hit its peak. Its a bunch of veterans and rotational players who are playing about as well as they can. I don't think Judon or Campbell or Bowser or McPhee or Wolfe are going to play a lot better than what we've seen from them so far. I think these guys have been in the league awhile, and they are what they are. And we realized that wasn't going to be enough to beat KC or Pittsburgh or Tennessee.

With the offense, I genuinely believe the FO and the coaching staff thinks they haven't fully tapped into their talent and production yet, and that the solution for that side of the ball is "guys need to play better".

I don't see the quality veteran Olineman who's going to be available via trade. Even tanking teams want good offensive lineman, because a lot of tanking teams have QBs that they don't want to see killed.
I don't really see the Jamal Adams-level WR who's going to be available either. The league values that position too much, and I think teams will want to keep those players.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
You said it already though, the difference is dez is essentially free and ertz carries a fairly significant cost.
Right, but from a "what they bring to the team" perspective, I think their skill sets are comparable.

Cost is certainly a factor, but then again, that's also baked into production. Dez hasn't played football in over 2 years, whereas Ertz has been an extremely high productive player for the last two years.

If they were both healthy, one of these guys would slot into an immediate starting, high snap role on Sunday. The other is signing to a PS, is no lock to ever get called up, and may make no impact whatsoever.

I would gladly take Ertz for $4M over Dez for $0.5M or whatever the vet minimum would be. Its just hard to do that now, when we don't have $4M to spend.

That's why I suggested that perhaps these discussions for an Ertz trade took place before we pulled the trigger on Yannick, and certainly before Ertz landed on IR.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
1. I don't see a lot of teams (or any teams really) interested in trading a talented WR on his rookie deal.
2. Said players are a lot more expensive than what we gave up for, say, Yannick.

I'm obviously the "we're never going to trade" guy, and I'm still surprised we made the deal for Yannick, but ultimately, trading for Yannick makes a hell of a lot more sense than trading for any decent WR would in my eyes. Why? Well, simple... our offense is young. Its young all over the place. Our Dline and pass rush is not. The Ravens realized (probably too late in my eyes) that our pass rush has sort of hit its peak. Its a bunch of veterans and rotational players who are playing about as well as they can. I don't think Judon or Campbell or Bowser or McPhee or Wolfe are going to play a lot better than what we've seen from them so far. I think these guys have been in the league awhile, and they are what they are. And we realized that wasn't going to be enough to beat KC or Pittsburgh or Tennessee.

With the offense, I genuinely believe the FO and the coaching staff thinks they haven't fully tapped into their talent and production yet, and that the solution for that side of the ball is "guys need to play better".

I don't see the quality veteran Olineman who's going to be available via trade. Even tanking teams want good offensive lineman, because a lot of tanking teams have QBs that they don't want to see killed.
I don't really see the Jamal Adams-level WR who's going to be available either. The league values that position too much, and I think teams will want to keep those players.
Our receivers outside of Hollywood, Mark, Duv and even Boyle look atrocious though. Snead Is MIA and Boykin’s development or lack thereof and mental errors is probably why we signed Dez in the first place (and I’m not excited about him at all). Not enough weapons for Lamar at the moment.