• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
If we trade for a WR it would more than likely have to be someone still on their rookie contract, preferably for a couple more years so we don’t have to worry about extending him in the offseason. Michael Gallup is a name that keeps heating up as the deadline approaches. I’d hate to deal with Jerry though. We can no longer fit Marvin Jones under the cap with the trade for Yannick.

Any other names out there that are still on a rookie deal on a bad team?
I absolutely can't imagine the Cowboys trading Gallup. I wanted him a couple years ago and was upset when the Cowboys took him.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
If we trade for a WR it would more than likely have to be someone still on their rookie contract, preferably for a couple more years so we don’t have to worry about extending him in the offseason. Michael Gallup is a name that keeps heating up as the deadline approaches. I’d hate to deal with Jerry though. We can no longer fit Marvin Jones under the cap with the trade for Yannick.

If you really want to sign/ trade for one specific player, you can always create some cap space. Atlanta, Detroit, NFC East come to mind.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

dante pettis

Calvin Ridley

Simba

Staff Member
Man I know I may be someone who’s always been overly optimistic about signings and trades, so maybe this is just more of that, but... I think dez in Baltimore is being slept on in the media, it seems most analysts are writing it off as if he will never play a down for the ravens, but I feel these people have straight up not seen Boykin play, and also they’re really underplaying dez’ abilities, boldin dominated well into his 30s because he was gonna catch the ball no matter how many steps he lost, dez really is in the same mold

You may be slightly optimistic, but I'll at least agree in that I'd be surprised if Dez doesn't play some snaps here. The only way that doesn't happen is if he shows up, isn't in the best shape, and never gets there. But at this point, there's really no harm. If Boykin isn't cutting it (and right now, he's not) you use one of those elevations on Dez and see what he's got. There's literally no risk this year as far as these PS elevations go. And if does well, then I'm sure we can find some dead weight to cut if we want him on the 53. If not, we tried, moved on, and made no real commitment to him other than giving him a trial run.

we can protect 4 PS players through each game week (must be designated each week) and we get to activate twice without him going through waivers - that being said he's still poachable on mondays after the game i think

but no team has signed him yet so its unlikely they would sign him of our PS at least until he plays in a game - and if he does well enough in that game to warrant interest then its likely we'd promote him to the 53 at that point anyway

i wouldnt worry about dez getting poached

Apparently PS players can turn down offers from other teams to stay on the practice squad instead.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/platform...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Thank you both!

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
Not saying you’re right or wrong here but then what position do you think DeCosta had in mind? I can’t imagine us trading for a LB, DL, S, or CB—practically anyone on defense now—so that leaves offense and we’re very unlikely to trade for a QB or RB leaving TE, OL, WR. I know OL is popular and it could happen but I’m very dubious of bringing in a traded OL due to cost in draft and cap capital as well as chemistry. I’m not ruling out someone like Mack because he’s a guy who probably could make an immediate impact but isn’t his cap hit high too? You’d also think we would be in a bidding war there.

I feel like WR & TE are most realistic trade options for these reasons. I also feel like we’ve seen more WR trades than ever lately.

I agree with you that Tightend could be the target but im also not sure if The Ravens trade for one.They only have five draft picks so far unless they thinking of trading their 2022 picks instead for a player. Ideally I dont think The Ravens sign Dez Bryant if they were trading for a receiver. They could trade for a nickel corner since losing Anthony Averett .

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I agree with you that Tightend could be the target but im also not sure if The Ravens trade for one.They only have five draft picks so far unless they thinking of trading their 2022 picks instead for a player. Ideally I dont think The Ravens sign Dez Bryant if they were trading for a receiver. They could trade for a nickel corner since losing Anthony Averett .

possibly but we also know we're going to get averett back at some point later in the season

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i probably was over-excited about him lol but i had him as a late 2nd/early 3rd rounder on my board in that class
I had him as a mid 3rd round pick, but did see someplace where he was rated as a late 2nd also.

I'm not complaining about last years draft class, but I wish we were able to take a slot corner. Now it's a need, because I'd like to get Humphrey back on the outside and I'm not sure if Jimmy will be in Baltimore next season. Of course no one thought he would be here this year either.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I had him as a mid 3rd round pick, but did see someplace where he was rated as a late 2nd also.

I'm not complaining about last years draft class, but I wish we were able to take a slot corner. Now it's a need, because I'd like to get Humphrey back on the outside and I'm not sure if Jimmy will be in Baltimore next season. Of course no one thought he would be here this year either.

we definitely need to add a corner next year in the draft - i loved the slot guys in this class - but marlon's been an absolute playmaker in the slot this year that the specific type of corner we acquire is less important especially with averett's play on the outside

we probably need to find another safety too - we cant rely on geno stone or nigel warrior to step up next offseason and jimmy might not be back and gilchrist is 31 and levine's 33 and not a candidate to play that deep safety role

that being said if jimmy didnt get an offer this year i find it hard to believe he'll find a better offer next year

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
we definitely need to add a corner next year in the draft - i loved the slot guys in this class - but marlon's been an absolute playmaker in the slot this year that the specific type of corner we acquire is less important especially with averett's play on the outside

we probably need to find another safety too - we cant rely on geno stone or nigel warrior to step up next offseason and jimmy might not be back and gilchrist is 31 and levine's 33 and not a candidate to play that deep safety role

that being said if jimmy didnt get an offer this year i find it hard to believe he'll find a better offer next year
I still maintain that Humphrey is at his best playing in the slot, especially now that we’re blitzing him too.

this year I like ardarius Washington from tcu a whole goddamn lot as a safety/nickel hybrid, I like him more than I liked amik robertson I’ll put it that way. I also gotta catch up on Jaycee horn, and I’ve also been wondering if TE is gonna be an early pick for us with guys like Kyle Pitts and Brevin Jordan who could find themselves available well into 2nd round

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I still maintain that Humphrey is at his best playing in the slot, especially now that we’re blitzing him too.

this year I like ardarius Washington from tcu a whole goddamn lot as a safety/nickel hybrid, I like him more than I liked amik robertson I’ll put it that way. I also gotta catch up on Jaycee horn, and I’ve also been wondering if TE is gonna be an early pick for us with guys like Kyle Pitts and Brevin Jordan who could find themselves available well into 2nd round

I'll have to disagree with you, here but he has definitely improved in the slot this year and it's quite an advantage this year as he is being blitzed. That being said, the best thing about Humphrey is he has shadow ability, something we never did with Jimmy.

It will be interesting to see what we do with our first couple picks this year, but this could be the year we go interior offensive line, with the class that is coming out. We also should start to consider Tackle. I don't think Zeus gets extended, unless we don't extend Ronnie Stanley.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

it's going to be BPA all the way - we'll want to add a skill position weapon somewhere but i don think the front office will care whether it's a TE or a WR

will have to check out washington especially if you think he's better than amik robertson who i really liked - jaycee horn is super physical - lacks a bit of wiggle and top end speed but he looks like a dominant college corner not sure how well he projects - will need to actually dive into the film to say on Horn

on Pitts though i dont see how he isnt taken in the 1st round tbh

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
it's going to be BPA all the way - we'll want to add a skill position weapon somewhere but i don think the front office will care whether it's a TE or a WR

will have to check out washington especially if you think he's better than amik robertson who i really liked - jaycee horn is super physical - lacks a bit of wiggle and top end speed but he looks like a dominant college corner not sure how well he projects - will need to actually dive into the film to say on Horn

on Pitts though i dont see how he isnt taken in the 1st round tbh
I think we may be interested in a TE who can play WR too, this draft has those guys. With the WRs we’ve shown interest in lately it seems like the trait we’re really looking for is that go up and get it on the sideline ability, traded up for Boykin, ready to offer BIG SHIT for Hopkins, worked out dez, had big interest in Higgins, actually signed dez, there’s a very specific type we’re after, and we may need to think outside the box to get one

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think we may be interested in a TE who can play WR too, this draft has those guys. With the WRs we’ve shown interest in lately it seems like the trait we’re really looking for is that go up and get it on the sideline ability, traded up for Boykin, ready to offer BIG SHIT for Hopkins, worked out dez, had big interest in Higgins, actually signed dez, there’s a very specific type we’re after, and we may need to think outside the box to get one

i think we're looking for someone to come in and be a possession receiver/outlet receiver although im really not sure what trends to really get from our interest in boykin etc.

we just drafted duvernay (who harbs was pumped up about) and we gave away a future pick to get back into the draft to get proche
neither of those guys fit that mould

duvernay, boykin, hollywood all have speed

boykin, hopkins and higgins (and dez) have the frame - and boykin and higgins are proper triangle height-weight-speed prospects

honestly of all the guys we've been interested in the only common trait they all have is that they have great hands (dez had a drops problem last time we saw him in 2017 but historically has been known to be a bully with great hands)

the guys we draft dont even have the commonality of being route runners - literally no real trend among them beyond hands