• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rossihunter2

Staff Member
"The Raiders, Dolphins, Jaguars, Cardinals, Lions and Commanders changed the scope of the receiver market overnight through their impulsive longing for receiver talent. The Ravens seemed to thank them for it, picking up the potential core of a championship team in the process."

I love it. We simply zag when others zig.

for what it's worth, sounds like the ravens were hoping one of the top 4 WRs would fall to 14

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
for what it's worth, sounds like the ravens were hoping one of the top 4 WRs would fall to 14
Perhaps so, but our willingness to value those "other, 2nd or 3rd tier positions" is clearly a strength. Especially with players like Andrews and others being mid-round picks that are able to contribute so dramatically to the team's success. I have little doubt they hoped a WR would fall, but given the salaries these guys are getting and the scenarios that played out with the trades of some of the premiere WR's, it seems now like there will always be a run on them in round one because of the cost benefit of getting 5 years of lower cap with rookie deals.

Which sadly means that teams that do well will see less and less opportunities to acquire those "elite" WR's as they pick in the lower part of the first. With the philosophy that the Ravens seem to have in place, I'm happy that they see value in alternatives and seem to be adept at making those valuations.

What will be interesting to see is if we will be able to at any point get back into the market of proven WR's that are on their 2nd or twilight contracts as we did with Mason, Bolden, and Steve Smith. I think that is/was another area where we excelled.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think its time we pursue Cole Beasley. Would be nice to have a savvy vet in the slot for Lamar. We know he played a huge role in Josh Allen's growth, having the additional safety valve over the middle for Lamar could pay dividends.

I want to believe in the current group of WR, but I just don't see guys like Porche and Duv taking the next steps and establishing themselves as legitimate threats in the passing game. The other FA options(beckham, fuller, jones) don't move the needle much and you got to wonder if you can even get half a season out of those guys.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think its time we pursue Cole Beasley. Would be nice to have a savvy vet in the slot for Lamar. We know he played a huge role in Josh Allen's growth, having the additional safety valve over the middle for Lamar could pay dividends.

I want to believe in the current group of WR, but I just don't see guys like Porche and Duv taking the next steps and establishing themselves as legitimate threats in the passing game. The other FA options(beckham, fuller, jones) don't move the needle much and you got to wonder if you can even get half a season out of those guys.

cole beasley is the exact style of WR we don't need lol
not an option outside, doesn't have any speed or athleticism
and he was on the out in buffalo last year - was clearly WR4 by the end of the season

Biff Tannen

Practice Squad

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I guess the expectation should be that on July 22nd, Houston will matriculate into being a Raven.

Still looking for that one receiver.

Last edited:

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
cole beasley is the exact style of WR we don't need lol
not an option outside, doesn't have any speed or athleticism
and he was on the out in buffalo last year - was clearly WR4 by the end of the season
I don’t want and we don’t need another outside presence. Batmen can cover that, what we need a is a WR that can get open. Even better if its in the middle where Lamar is clearly most comfortable throwing. I have no desire to get a big bodied outside guy. Not our strength or style. I’d happily take his 700 yards , even more impressive if you think he was number 4 on their depth chart(he wasn’t)

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I don’t want and we don’t need another outside presence. Batmen can cover that, what we need a is a WR that can get open. Even better if its in the middle where Lamar is clearly most comfortable throwing. I have no desire to get a big bodied outside guy. Not our strength or style. I’d happily take his 700 yards , even more impressive if you think he was number 4 on their depth chart(he wasn’t)

who said anything about big body...
beasley doesnt play outside because he cant beat press and he cant threaten deep

he's a slot-only short-to-intermediate target only who doesnt threaten defences horizontally or vertically - all 3 of the guys we have fighting for WR snaps right now have qualities that beasley does not, and also offer positional, formational and alignment versatility that beasley does not offer - at this point in his career, beasley is solely winning with interior route-running craft and route knowledge which is obviously great for him but he's 33 yrs old and definitely slowing down

we need another WR in the group, but they need to be a complementary piece not an older, more accomplished version of the young guys we already have fighting for the role that he'd come in to play

right now id be looking at one of Will Fuller, Odell (if/when he heals up later in the season), Julio - who all offer a vertical element as well as an interior slot and intermediate one - there are issues with each of them and at this point in the offseason there really aren't many good options - but these guys are streets ahead of beasley in terms of what they might be able to offer this team in 2022

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
who said anything about big body...
beasley doesnt play outside because he cant beat press and he cant threaten deep

he's a slot-only short-to-intermediate target only who doesnt threaten defences horizontally or vertically - all 3 of the guys we have fighting for WR snaps right now have qualities that beasley does not, and also offer positional, formational and alignment versatility that beasley does not offer - at this point in his career, beasley is solely winning with interior route-running craft and route knowledge which is obviously great for him but he's 33 yrs old and definitely slowing down
He was the 17th ranked WR in terms of catches , so clearly he can beat press and create separation. Likely would have had a much better year than the 700 yards he put up if Buffalo was not blowing people out. They won 11 or so games by more than 14 points which means their not throwing later in games. He also did all that competing for targets against Diggs and Davis. Not sure why your so anti Beasly, clearly would be an asset to our unproven receiving corps and. a QB who thrives over the middle

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He was the 17th ranked WR in terms of catches , so clearly he can beat press and create separation. Likely would have had a much better year than the 700 yards he put up if Buffalo was not blowing people out. They won 11 or so games by more than 14 points which means their not throwing later in games. He also did all that competing for targets against Diggs and Davis. Not sure why your so anti Beasly, clearly would be an asset to our unproven receiving corps and. a QB who thrives over the middle

i can tell you didnt watch the bills much last year...
they were not running even in blowouts

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

The Bills passed the ball 44 times per game and as Rossi said, they have no running game.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
They ranked 13th in the NFL (461)in rushing attempts…. How much more qualifies as running in your eyes?

Can you just admit you don’t like him becuase of his vaccine stance and that he was actually a decent WR, that even in his late stage career could help us based of his stats and past performance? It’s ok bro you don’t always have to be argumentative and right

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
The Bills passed the ball 44 times per game and as Rossi said, they have no running game.
Completely incorrect, but I won’t stop you from sucking off Rossi

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
They ranked 13th in the NFL (461)in rushing attempts…. How much more qualifies as running in your eyes?

Can you just admit you don’t like him becuase of his vaccine stance and that he was actually a decent WR, that even in his late stage career could help us based of his stats and past performance? It’s ok bro you don’t always have to be argumentative and right
I mean... 122 were their QB.
If you really think about it, their running game was about as effective as ours last year, which was, of course, not very effective. Basically their QB was their best ball carrier, and nobody else was frightening at all.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I mean... 122 were their QB.
If you really think about it, their running game was about as effective as ours last year, which was, of course, not very effective. Basically their QB was their best ball carrier, and nobody else was frightening at all.
Yes agree, but the point was not effectiveness, simply how much they chose to run the ball because they were blowing out teams. I noted Beasley only had 14 targets with 13 catches in the 4th Qtr, I attributed a lot of that to the Bills changing the game plan being up by more than 14 points in the fourth qtr of 10 games.

I can't believe a spent so much time arguing about Cole Beasley .... dude would be a decent addition to what we have but nothing special. Just wanted to make sure certain folks are called out for blatant BS........ funny how quiet they get

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yes agree, but the point was not effectiveness, simply how much they chose to run the ball because they were blowing out teams. I noted Beasley only had 14 targets with 13 catches in the 4th Qtr, I attributed a lot of that to the Bills changing the game plan being up by more than 14 points in the fourth qtr of 10 games.

I can't believe a spent so much time arguing about Cole Beasley .... dude would be a decent addition to what we have but nothing special. Just wanted to make sure certain folks are called out for blatant BS........ funny how quiet they get
I wouldn't look down upon signing him. I just don't think he's a needle mover, and I wouldn't want to sign him with the thought that he should be taking targets away from either Proche or Duvernay. Maybe not even Wallace either.

As a veteran who adds depth and experience, sure, no issue. But would be really disappointed to see him signed and then become like the #3 target in the passing game. Don't think that would be ideal for this offense.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I wouldn't look down upon signing him. I just don't think he's a needle mover, and I wouldn't want to sign him with the thought that he should be taking targets away from either Proche or Duvernay. Maybe not even Wallace either.

As a veteran who adds depth and experience, sure, no issue. But would be really disappointed to see him signed and then become like the #3 target in the passing game. Don't think that would be ideal for this offense.
Not sure anybody left is a needle mover at this point. I just wanted someone who plays to Lamar’s strengths and takes the pressure off Andrews in the middle.

I think we’re all fooling ourselves with the Duv, Proche, and Wallace hopes. Duv i can get on board with as a poor mans Hill. Proche i love but its unfair to expect him to make the jump from 17 catches in two years to reliable WR3

Sandtown

Pro Bowler
Not sure anybody left is a needle mover at this point. I just wanted someone who plays to Lamar’s strengths and takes the pressure off Andrews in the middle.

I think we’re all fooling ourselves with the Duv, Proche, and Wallace hopes. Duv i can get on board with as a poor mans Hill. Proche i love but its unfair to expect him to make the jump from 17 catches in two years to reliable WR3

I understand this but I don't think any of these young receivers have shown enough to be counted out. I really think a guy like James Proche can be counted on in a starting role in this offense. The guy just works too hard and seems to take his job too seriously to get me thinking otherwise. He's seems to also be pretty mature as well. I think The Ravens may still sign a veteran wide receiver but it may not be the type of veteran that we may be expecting. I wouldn't be surprised if they just trade for young receiver that may be looked upon as bust on another team.

I'm not really concerned about the wide receiver group and I just think this group can really contribute this year. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the UDFA wideouts The Ravens signed make the team possibly have some what of Marlon Brown type season or be able to contributed like he did in his first rookie season.