• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Us getting roquan smith is the reason why i never say “ we cant afford “ a player.. everytime youd think a team is low on funds they end up pulling something off
I mean... we still kinda can't afford him. We haven't signed him to an extension yet, and we had to pay up in draft capital to get the Bears to pay most of his salary.

If we were taking on his actual salary, he's probably not here. That's kind of the textbook definition of "can't afford him".

Plus the affordability discussions were in the context of next year for the most part, not this year. Roquan isn't under contract next year currently, so we don't even know if he'll be here.

Serrell Tuggs

Practice Squad
With the Ravens already partially committed to him, Roquan might have them over a barrel when it comes to a new deal. A bit like the way Leonard Williams got a stupid deal from the Giants.

DeCosta won't want to go back to ILB struggles again.

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
Just thinking out loud: I don’t think a WR corps consisting of Bateman, Duv, Robinson, DeSean and Proche can help Lamar win a SB, especially when Roman is calling the plays.
I agree.

A receiver would help. I'd have liked one but, even if we'd added DJ Moore, I don't think a Greg Roman passing game can win the Super Bowl full stop. I think we've seen how it goes against top teams.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
I mean... we still kinda can't afford him. We haven't signed him to an extension yet, and we had to pay up in draft capital to get the Bears to pay most of his salary.

If we were taking on his actual salary, he's probably not here. That's kind of the textbook definition of "can't afford him".

Plus the affordability discussions were in the context of next year for the most part, not this year. Roquan isn't under contract next year currently, so we don't even know if he'll be here.
But he is on the team so im sure we already got something planned for him

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
But he is on the team so im sure we already got something planned for him
Maybe. Maybe the plan is for him to play well for us for the next 2-3 months and see what happens after that.

If there's a plan in place for an extension now, a) we usually hear about those things right away and b) an extension now probably means we need to create cap space, since any extension now will involve some sort of signing bonus, with portions of that going toward the 2022 cap.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor

Sounds like he cost the same as Roquan.

So who would y’all want if it was the same price?

Jeudy or Roquan? :nerd:

rossihunter2

Staff Member

to rephrase...
would i prefer
1) half a year of the all-pro LB or
2) 1 and a half years of a WR who's only once eclipsed 500 yds once (and that was as a rookie) and has a reputation as a drop merchant

if we had a functional WR corps, you wouldnt have even asked the question

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
to rephrase...
would i prefer
2) 1 and a half years of a WR who's only once eclipsed 500 yds once (and that was as a rookie) and has a reputation as a drop merchant

But we don’t. Therefore, question asked. Lolol

Deebo813

Hall of Famer

His ability to stretch the field and keep safeties over the top would do us better than his actual production…… which is fine by me

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
to rephrase...
would i prefer

This year... Jeudy (probably).
Long term I can't know. Roquan is better at what he does than Jeudy is at what he does. Question is over positional value and team needs.

I would also phrased it this way... which player do I think I have a better chance of finding comparable in next years draft, since both position groups are clear needs if we didn't add them? I think I'd like my chances of landing Jeudy in the draft more than Roquan.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
to rephrase...
would i prefer

I think that's a fair way to look at it. I do wonder if Jeudy would have produced more with a better QB.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This year... Jeudy (probably).
Long term I can't know. Roquan is better at what he does than Jeudy is at what he does. Question is over positional value and team needs.

I would also phrased it this way... which player do I think I have a better chance of finding comparable in next years draft, since both position groups are clear needs if we didn't add them? I think I'd like my chances of landing Jeudy in the draft more than Roquan.

positional value is for sure important

but i think your last point is especially valid given we used a not insignificant pick to acquire him...
Roquan is one of only maybe 5 LBs who are true 3 down off-ball LBs in the league (Fred Warner, Shaquille Leonard, Eric Kendricks being the 3 that most obviously come to mind) - those types of guys are so rare and difficult to find

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Per PFF, so take it with a grain of salt.

Since entering the NFL in 2018, Roquan Smith has the most negatively graded snaps among off-ball linebackers, BUT also the sixth most positively graded snaps. He's displayed the special athletic ability that made him the No. 8 overall pick, a plus in coverage with rare sideline to sideline speed. Sometimes he gets washed out of plays but more often than not he is avoiding contact with his athleticism.

I'm a big fan of this move and not only will this improve our defense as a whole, but I believe his usage in our defense will improve him as a player as well.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
positional value is for sure important

but i think your last point is especially valid given we used a not insignificant pick to acquire him...
Roquan is one of only maybe 5 LBs who are true 3 down off-ball LBs in the league (Fred Warner, Shaquille Leonard, Eric Kendricks being the 3 that most obviously come to mind) - those types of guys are so rare and difficult to find
When did Darius Leonard become Shaquille Leonard?