• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Signings, Cuts, Trades

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Who is available at guard tho? Zeitler?

Also I wonder if this is partially because of a move to more of a zone run game? I know Henry is good at those concepts as well
Honestly haven't looked at the Guard market. But Zeitler wasn't on anybodies radar when we signed him either. Could be a guy who hasn't been cut yet.
And its possible that, yes, they just sign Zeitler back for a year or two.

I only say Guard because I seriously doubt EDC goes into the draft needing to fill 3 starting Oline spots.

Plus, as I've alluded to all offseason, I think the FO and coaching staff is either very high on Mekari or Faalele as a RT, or at the very least, extremely confident they can find a starter in the draft.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm good with Moses out. He wasn't too impressive and he isn't getting any better with age. Just because we didn't have anyone better doesn't mean he was good. Lamar being Lamar masked a lot of deficiencies of our O line, tackle play in particular.
I agree with you. Moses was OK, he wasn't terrible but he wasn't a world-beater. I'm less worried about this. I think IOL is more important at present.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm good with Moses out. He wasn't too impressive and he isn't getting any better with age. Just because we didn't have anyone better doesn't mean he was good. Lamar being Lamar masked a lot of deficiencies of our O line, tackle play in particular.

his main selling point when we signed him was solid consistency and availability
still played at a high level last year but had troubles staying on the field for the first time in his career and is now more expensive and older

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Honestly haven't looked at the Guard market. But Zeitler wasn't on anybodies radar when we signed him either. Could be a guy who hasn't been cut yet.
And its possible that, yes, they just sign Zeitler back for a year or two.

I only say Guard because I seriously doubt EDC goes into the draft needing to fill 3 starting Oline spots.

Plus, as I've alluded to all offseason, I think the FO and coaching staff is either very high on Mekari or Faalele as a RT, or at the very least, extremely confident they can find a starter in the draft.

i think the thing with zeitler is, if they were gonna keep him, they would have done it a month ago before his deal voided and it brought a bunch of dead money into this year's cap

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
i think they clearly feel pretty comfortable with the draft class - maybe they reckon it's highly likely that there's going to be a OT top of their board when we get on the clock with our first pick and that failing that, they're comfortable with Mekari/Faalele at RT in the worst case scenario

also notable that a lot of the highly touted OTs in the draft class have been RTs
I agree with that but I still don't like being locked in on one position. I think a lot of teams like this OT class. Will they still be comfortable taking their OT 8 or 9 at 30? Will still they have to go tackle if someone really talented at another position falls to us?

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
i think the thing with zeitler is, if they were gonna keep him, they would have done it a month ago before his deal voided and it brought a bunch of dead money into this year's cap
I mean maybe, but that's predicated on a price. The longer he sits on the market, the more likely it is he returns. Not saying he will, because I doubt he does, but if he continues to sit on the market for a month or so, you might be signing him for $3-4M a year on a 1-2 year deal. Under that structure, his cap hit this year, even with the dead $, can be like $6M.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I agree with that but I still don't like being locked in on one position. I think a lot of teams like this OT class. Will they still be comfortable taking their OT 8 or 9 at 30? Will still they have to go tackle if someone really talented at another position falls to us?
I don't think they have to take an OT in the first round at all.
If you're aiming on getting a RT for 2024, that's a day 2 or day 3 pick all day long. We've got plenty of quality RTs in the 3rd rounds or later historically, and teams can easily get that.

If you're taking an OT in the first round, you're probably hoping they'll develop into your future LT. But that's not an immediate "need" at this point.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
If we take OT 8 or 9 at 30, that would be wild

Old Bay

Veteran
Queen was failing bigly at middle linebacker and was the sole reason why we brought in Roquan. When Roquan stepped in,
Queen flourished. I could have cared less if we kept him BEFORE Roquan got here. He was not that good pre-Roquan .
Exactly. Queen is easily replaceable in my opinion. Hopefully Simpson steps in and takes his spot, but there's also a few decent prospects we can draft.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ayo, I didn’t know Mekhi Becton was a free agent. He never stayed healthy after that dominant rookie year huh?

Reunite him with Lamar. Maybe Lamar can give him a total gym to shed some pounds

rossihunter2

Staff Member

based on this class id say it's highly likely that we're picking OT 7-9 at pick 30 - and that player is going to be talented

but also dont think they're locked in - think they're fine with mekari/faalele

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I don't think they have to take an OT in the first round at all.
If you're aiming on getting a RT for 2024, that's a day 2 or day 3 pick all day long. We've got plenty of quality RTs in the 3rd rounds or later historically, and teams can easily get that.

If you're taking an OT in the first round, you're probably hoping they'll develop into your future LT. But that's not an immediate "need" at this point.

i dont think that's true anymore
obviously that franchise LT comes high in the draft but teams will take any tackle prospect regardless of side because you need two anyway
a lot of the guys who might be available late R1 and early R2 are guys who were RTs in college - some will be guys who can convert to the left but many will be right-sided guys