• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: vs Jets

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Do you play Lamar w/o Stanley on the left? I ain't so sure... That would be a two week recovery for both guys at a crucial point in the season. The cushion we have - for a fucking change ^_^ - might be enough to rest some guys now. Lamar included...
If the players are healthy, they should play. They wouldn't have it any other way.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Do you play Lamar w/o Stanley on the left? I ain't so sure... That would be a two week recovery for both guys at a crucial point in the season. The cushion we have - for a fucking change ^_^ - might be enough to rest some guys now. Lamar included...
Absolutely not lol. You play hurst at LT, and run more 3TE sets than usual, never have an empty backfield, don’t allow heavy pass rush by doing these things, minimize Lamar’s running, keep TEs in for protection as much as common sense allows and get Lamar dealing to the WRs, it’s crucial that we get that part going and no better time than in this JV game where we may need max protect

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Absolutely not lol. You play hurst at LT, and run more 3TE sets than usual, never have an empty backfield, don’t allow heavy pass rush by doing these things, minimize Lamar’s running, keep TEs in for protection as much as common sense allows and get Lamar dealing to the WRs, it’s crucial that we get that part going and no better time than in this JV game where we may need max protect
I agree with this. Max protect Lamar every play lol and we might see a huge passing game from him if he has time to hit Hollywood or Hayden “Usain Bolt” Hurst (though I need Andrews to have a relatively good game because I’m in the round to get to the championship in fantasy).

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler

Well, I don't know that it's funny, but I get what everyone is saying. I also know history, however. And sometimes to avoid serious injury, youthful exuberance needs to be tempered.

If Lamar's injury is not serious, something we will never know, despite his saying, "I'm good coach!" then I'd agree he should be played. That said, history is ready to laugh at us for putting all of our eggs in the basket of a running QB. Don't get me wrong, I love what they are doing and think it is the future - and have since Donavan McNabb came into the league years ago and rekindled the Randall Cunningham new style QB debate, but sometimes erring on the side of caution is necessary.

Lamar is always going to say he's ready to play. But he's a kid, if we're honest with ourselves. Not a mark on him and don't mean to sound detrimental or condescending, but young players sometimes have to be pried from the game for their own good. I dougt this is one of those situations, but the rest might still do him good and giving reps to RGIII might not be a bad thing.

Mock me at will. ^_^

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
lets stop complaining about our injuries

look at the jets FFS. They're approaching 2015 ravens territory.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
...I guess an argument could be made that this adversity, not having Stanley on the left is good practice and the whole "next man up" thing. I'm cool with that. I just posit the question for discussion. Not having your blind side covered by your normal guy is scary. Having it defended by an unfamiliar commodity when potentially injured is another story.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
And if anybody touches Lamar, beat his ass up.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
...I guess an argument could be made that this adversity, not having Stanley on the left is good practice and the whole "next man up" thing. I'm cool with that. I just posit the question for discussion. Not having your blind side covered by your normal guy is scary. Having it defended by an unfamiliar commodity when potentially injured is another story.
There is just no sense in further weakening your own offense by sitting Lamar because of injury fear. We are paranoid about that stuff, players and coaches aren't. You minimise the risk by playing good protection and avoiding unnecessary stuff but still playing your best available players.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m worried about Lamar from the left side but if Lamar plays then I’ll trust the team to protect him. This isn’t Joe “statue” Flacco back there after all. It may allow Lamar to throw more to his right as well. Perhaps it’ll mean more screens and perhaps even more roll out passes.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
I don't think there's a right or wrong answer here. I think the decision to play or not or how long he might play might be confounded by Stanley not playing. It will be interesting to see what they do. I think he plays. I think we see RGII taking snaps too. If we put it away early, so to speak, I see Lamar with a clipboard at some point.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
There is just no sense in further weakening your own offense by sitting Lamar because of injury fear. We are paranoid about that stuff, players and coaches aren't. You minimise the risk by playing good protection and avoiding unnecessary stuff but still playing your best available players.

You don't just throw caution to the wind, tho. I'm just posing the question... I think there is a lot to be said for a player wanting to play thru injury. It demonstrates mental toughness. And I think that does make a team stronger, in a sense. Yet, is this a situation, with Stanley likely out, where the coaches allow Lamar to dictate his readiness?

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
You don't just throw caution to the wind, tho. I'm just posing the question... I think there is a lot to be said for a player wanting to play thru injury. It demonstrates mental toughness. And I think that does make a team stronger, in a sense. Yet, is this a situation, with Stanley likely out, where the coaches allow Lamar to dictate his readiness?
It was a dinged quad. Not a real injury, just hurts for a day or two and you're good to go. I'm sure he played through much worse.