• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Terrell Suggs: Can/should we get him?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
if harbs was really angry about this at his presser as @Grim suggested he might be then the chiefs just made an awful mistake because the best team in the NFL now has an emotional reason to want to crush them beyond the 0-2 record that's there already
one thing I can guarantee if we play the Chiefs in the playoffs. Mosley won't be covering Tyreek Hill

IMO the Chiefs did us a favor. Love me some sizzle but his gas tank has been on empty for a while now, and us claiming him out of respect or obligation, and then take snaps away from guys like Ferguson is not in the best interest of this team right now. Sizz can retire a Raven whenever he is ready and all will be right in Ravens nation.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
IMO the Chiefs did us a favor. Love me some sizzle but his gas tank has been on empty for a while now, and us claiming him out of respect or obligation, and then take snaps away from guys like Ferguson is not in the best interest of this team right now. Sizz can retire a Raven whenever he is ready and all will be right in Ravens nation.
he absolutely would have helped in a situational role and would have helped Ferguson and Judon. @Filmstudy was talking about how he would have been really good in our racecar package.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
in free agency they do have a 2 or 3 day legal tampering period. If you are suggesting they talk prior to this, you are probably correct, but it's not legal. That being said, every team does it.

but there's also events like the combine and owners meetings where all those people who would talk are there anyway so provides cover for such talks etc. im sure it happens elsewhere too but there's no equivalent period for waivers - especially given that its normally only 24 hours

This would be strange ... he joins the Chiefs, plays with them, but if they advance to play us, he retires the day before the game.

there's no risk because they had an empty roster spot
there's no guaranteed money left on that deal so they dont owe him anything other than gamechecks if he turns up
if he refuses to show up and retires they can put him on the reserve/retired list which would mean they hold his rights even if he un-retired

yeah the only risk is that he sits on their roster and does the bare minimum almost forcing them to not play him despite showing up and basically waste a roster spot - tbf i wouldnt put that past suggs given that he said this offseason that he respects the ravens too much to steal their money but was happy going to arizona and taking theirs in stead - if he wants to be vindictive and just turn up and collect gamechecks but not really bother then that's about the most inconvenienced they could get

chiefs have his rights but suggs has a little bit of power depending on how he wants to play this and how he feels about this - he doesnt have to say he doesnt want to play on sunday but he could practice and not bother with the playbook in a way that would make them not want to play him
It is fun to talk about such scenarios - but I cannot believe Suggs would show up at KC and then do nothing. That kind of insubordination is just super unprofessional and I think he is a pro at heart. He probably doesn't like the situation but would not be so petty as to pull a stunt like that.

He will either retire, or, deem that he may was well get one more run at a title and while he'd have rather done it with us, he'll do it with KC.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It is fun to talk about such scenarios - but I cannot believe Suggs would show up at KC and then do nothing. That kind of insubordination is just super unprofessional and I think he is a pro at heart. He probably doesn't like the situation but would not be so petty as to pull a stunt like that.

He will either retire, or, deem that he may was well get one more run at a title and while he'd have rather done it with us, he'll do it with KC.

i was only putting that out there because that's the only way this in any way could backfire for the chiefs - there's virtually no other scenario that would have any risk at all

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
We can't get him but we should if we could. He'll be claimed off waivers by a cutthroat organization like the Pats to glean even a perceived advantage against the Ravens. Other than the Pats, I wouldn't put it past Andy Reid to do the same.
I just new fat Andy wanted to get back at us and deny us the ability to get Suggs back. He's been pissed at us since we got Earl Thomas and has made moves with our personnel. This was a personal attack on Harbs. You could tell in today's presser John knew and was in a sour mood already. Nothing we can do about it but Suggs could fuck with them by not reporting but I doubt it given the money involved.

Read the following in an article "If Suggs elects not to report to Kansas City, speculation would likely continue about a possible reunion with the Ravens."

How would that work? It would seem that electing not to report would still leave you exempt from signing with another team.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Read the following in an article "If Suggs elects not to report to Kansas City, speculation would likely continue about a possible reunion with the Ravens."

How would that work? It would seem that electing not to report would still leave you exempt from signing with another team.

would be if the chiefs decided to cut him because he's making himself dead-weight - in which case he'd go through waivers again but that scenario is unlikely

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
in free agency there's a legal tampering period - but teams talk to agents at conference type places like the owners meetings and the nfl combine etc. where there's an ability to discuss etc.

but technically the agent isnt allowed contact during the waiver period either im pretty sure and if there is it would be tampering and there's no legal tampering period in this situation
I don't believe for one second that players and teams abide by those rules

he absolutely would have helped in a situational role and would have helped Ferguson and Judon. @Filmstudy was talking about how he would have been really good in our racecar package.
Well it’s a moot point anyway, but you know why Suggs left here right? He didn’t want to milk undeserved money from the Ravens. He knew he was about done, but the Cardinals were willing to pay up. So why not take their money instead. But to your point I think Sizzle’s experience and presence in the locker room could help this team way more then he could help on the field, but then decisions have to be made about who gets IR’d or cut from the roster, and how do you get him snaps. We have beaten the best teams in the league without him and have won 10 games in a row. It’s hard for me to think that we really need him. On the other hand it would have been great to have him here to win another SB, and for him to go out as a champion Raven.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Suggs is a FA correct anyway after this year? I was reading how Deion Sanders tried to do the same thing back in 2002 where he wanted to join the Raiders on their Super Bowl run so he convinced the Redskins to release him. 5 teams put a claim in for him and he retired only to unretire and sign with us in the offseason. I can totally see Suggs doing the same thing.

allenlh

Practice Squad
Here's an idea: Suggs should retire and then join Ravens as a coach for our Superbowl run. Could then bring the intangibles and leadership that would be nice to have, not take snaps from anyone, nor play for any enemy team while still picking up another ring...