• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Terrell Suggs: Can/should we get him?

allenlh

Practice Squad
A few posts in different threads, but thought it worth it's own thread as we enter weekend without Ravens game.

As probably most have heard, Terrell Suggs released by Arizona, on waivers, so 2 questions I guess:

1) If he gets claimed by another team (given we are now last in line) can he refuse to play for them and still make his way to the Ravens?

2) What do you guys think, should we find a way to make room and sign him? Anyone worried he doesn't have enough left in the tank to be of help, or too much risk to disrupting team chemistry?

At least Judon seems to want him back. Suggs is 1/2 sack away from DeMarcus Ware for #8 all time sacks, would imagine he'd be interested in that and possibility of another Lombardi... Would be nice way to go out a la Ray...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 11.13.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 11.13.22 AM.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 333

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I have mixed feelings because Ferguson, Bowser are getting better and Judon is having a good year. Also Suggs has had 0.5 sacks in the last 6 games and no tackles the last two games. That being said, he would provide a ton of leadership on and off the field and possibly allow Ferguson to play in more of a situational role or allow Fergie to rush more from the inside.

I think if we can get him under the cap for this year, then we should do it, as long as we can cut someone that won't hurt our special teams, which seems that it is depleted enough.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think we will sign or claim him if he makes it to us. The real question for me is whether he will. It seems obvious to everyone here and around the NFL that a reunion is nearly a foregone conclusion so it depends on whether another team tries to spite us. I think if there’s some gentleman’s agreement that nobody will claim him because they all know that Suggs won’t play for them and only for us then I can see a reunion very likely.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think we will sign or claim him if he makes it to us. The real question for me is whether he will. It seems obvious to everyone here and around the NFL that a reunion is nearly a foregone conclusion so it depends on whether another team tries to spite us. I think if there’s some gentleman’s agreement that nobody will claim him because they all know that Suggs won’t play for them and only for us then I can see a reunion very likely.
I think this explains it and I'm not sure if he would be required to report because he could retire.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
We can't get him but we should if we could. He'll be claimed off waivers by a cutthroat organization like the Pats to glean even a perceived advantage against the Ravens. Other than the Pats, I wouldn't put it past Andy Reid to do the same.

Yeh if another team claims him then he has to either play for them or sit out/retire. I just can't see him making it through waivers unclaimed given that our rivals know a reunion is likely.

What do people make of the chemistry angle? I've been mulling it over myself - the team hierarchy is set and working well, but here comes Suggs, a former face of the franchise and expecting to resume his role as top dog. Does that have the potential to derail the harmony? I don't feel like Suggs is a divisive character so I expect he'd slot right back in, but is it risky?

Yeh if another team claims him then he has to either play for them or sit out/retire. I just can't see him making it through waivers unclaimed given that our rivals know a reunion is likely.

What do people make of the chemistry angle? I've been mulling it over myself - the team hierarchy is set and working well, but here comes Suggs, a former face of the franchise and expecting to resume his role as top dog. Does that have the potential to derail the harmony? I don't feel like Suggs is a divisive character so I expect he'd slot right back in, but is it risky?
No way Suggs comes in with the idea that his role is “top dog”. I fully expect he comes in with the attitude that he’ll be willing to play whatever role the staff sees fit.

In that role he will also impart what he knows to anyone and will contribute anyway he can.

In that his time on the field would be limited I suspect he would only shave a few snaps across all existing edge guys except Judon.

I would feel different if it were 3 years removed from his time on the team but almost everyone on the D has played with him or against him and have great respect for him.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I have mixed feelings because Ferguson, Bowser are getting better and Judon is having a good year. Also Suggs has had 0.5 sacks in the last 6 games and no tackles the last two games. That being said, he would provide a ton of leadership on and off the field and possibly allow Ferguson to play in more of a situational role or allow Fergie to rush more from the inside.

I think if we can get him under the cap for this year, then we should do it, as long as we can cut someone that won't hurt our special teams, which seems that it is depleted enough.
We can definitely get him under the cap, considering he'd only cost little under $350K

It's a no brainer if he doesn't get claimed - experience, familiarity with Wink, absence of McPhee, ability to adjust the front, another body in a rotation to keep pass rush fresh....

Just not going to happen, he'll be snatched by a playoff team. Seahawks have big issues with Clowney out at the moment and Ziggy Ansah ginger with neck injury. If he slides to Seahawks waiver spot, there's no way they don't take him.

We can't get him but we should if we could. He'll be claimed off waivers by a cutthroat organization like the Pats to glean even a perceived advantage against the Ravens. Other than the Pats, I wouldn't put it past Andy Reid to do the same.
Yeah maybe. Teams usually don’t view using their roster spots for a guy they don’t want play just to keep them from another team. That said I suppose some team would do it to force his retirement but that also seems silly.

If he is claimed it will be by a team that think he will help them and who genuinely wants to play him.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Sizzle is never going to play for NE. He'd retire first.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

We have excessive amount of NTs. We could probally release on of them. Either Peko or Ellis.

I also thought waiver claims were from previous season records. They're going on this years record on an incomplete season?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
We have excessive amount of NTs. We could probally release on of them. Either Peko or Ellis.

I also thought waiver claims were from previous season records. They're going on this years record on an incomplete season?
Ellis would be the NT we would release, due to him being inactive since Pierce came back.