• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The General Front 7 Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
All the more reason to get him on the field more. Put him at ILB and blitz him, play the edge on third down, etc... We have too little talent at ILB and too much talent at OLB for Bowser to be on the bench. He's too much of a special talent to let him sit.

the thing is we haven't needed blitzers this year because our edge guys and designated rushers have been so productive - i think we only blitzed something like 4 times this week (off the top of my head i can think of webby, jimmy and CJ(maybe) blitzing once each but that's it) and yet we still put linemen into dalton's lap... we also didnt do many twists/stunts either

so there's no point selling bowser short and just having him rush centrally or cover from a different spot - given that we played something like a fifth of our snaps in dime and onwuasor is decent as a coverage linebacker in nickel packages (if a little undersized in run support sometimes) im not sure bowser gets many snaps at ilb anyway

Having him, Jeferson, and Levine on the field in Dime sets would be lethal

im pretty sure that bowser being put at ilb would be impossible on dime sets given that the two linebackers in that situation would be CJ Mosley and Anthony Levine - so the only way bowser plays in dime is if he's on the edge (or somewhere on the LoS)

The Raven

Veteran
the thing is we haven't needed blitzers this year because our edge guys and designated rushers have been so productive - i think we only blitzed something like 4 times this week (off the top of my head i can think of webby, jimmy and CJ(maybe) blitzing once each but that's it) and yet we still put linemen into dalton's lap... we also didnt do many twists/stunts either

so there's no point selling bowser short and just having him rush centrally or cover from a different spot - given that we played something like a fifth of our snaps in dime and onwuasor is decent as a coverage linebacker in nickel packages (if a little undersized in run support sometimes) im not sure bowser gets many snaps at ilb anyway

im pretty sure that bowser being put at ilb would be impossible on dime sets given that the two linebackers in that situation would be CJ Mosley and Anthony Levine - so the only way bowser plays in dime is if he's on the edge (or somewhere on the LoS)
There's no point in putting more talent on the field?

Yes, it is possible. 3-2-6 formation. Levine could be 6th DB. Not impossible in the slightest.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter

We actually did it at least once on the Pierce sack where Judon came in and forced Dalton into Pierce's lap.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
There's no point in putting more talent on the field?

Yes, it is possible. 3-2-6 formation. Levine could be 6th DB. Not impossible in the slightest.
Levine as a DB offers little value. He's excellent as a dime LB but as a DB we have better options

The Raven

Veteran
Levine as a DB offers little value. He's excellent as a dime LB but as a DB we have better options
Well, I disagree. I think he has a lot to offer as a dime DB playing close to the line. With the number of blitzes and mixed coverages and different looks we've been using, he could help us show a lot of interesting looks out of a 3-2-6. For example, we could stack him like a 3-3-5 and have him drop. Have him in the slot and blitz him. Have Bowser drop to coverage from the edge and blitz Levine from behind him. Etc... It's all about disguising the look and throwing everything you can at the offense.

Bowser and Levine may be our two most versatile players. Getting them both on the field at the same time would be sick.

Imagine a defense with Webb and Weddle deep, Jimmy and Marlon/Car on the outside, Jefferson and Levine in the slots, Mosley and Bowser at LB, with Suggs, Judon, and Zadarius/Urban/Whoever on the line. Maybe you want another CB on the field, but the zone blitz packages out of this lineup would be limitless.

^ Thats 12 players, Levine plays minimal snaps and inside on dime packages. Smith, Carr, Humphrey, Webb, Weddle, Jefferson is the secondary but we might get more bang for our buck with someone more dynamic, versatile and sturdy in the middle.

The Raven

Veteran
^ Thats 12 players, Levine plays minimal snaps and inside on dime packages. Smith, Carr, Humphrey, Webb, Weddle, Jefferson is the secondary but we might get more bang for our buck with someone more dynamic, versatile and sturdy in the middle.
Nah it's 11. Six DBs, two LBs, three DL. The risky part is having four safeties out there and only two corners, but in a zone look, I'd argue that it'd work out.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I don't see why people are so against Correa being the starting WILB. Aside from that one play he had a good game against the Bengals, and he's likely just going to get better. He'll probably be better than Orr after a few more weeks. He's not Arthur Brown, who couldn't even win the starting job when it was handed to him on a silver platter.

As for Bowser, I think he does more for us on the edge than at ILB. It lets him line up directly on the tightend. Also, since he's a good edge rusher, can set the edge, and is great in coverage, him being there keeps the defense guessing. Will he be the fourth rusher or will he drop in coverage? Besides, Pees loves using edge guys to cover. Even Upshaw was put out into coverage. I'd say for out defense him working as Sam while the WOLB is the more typical passrusher fits what Pees wants to do perfectly.

The Raven

Veteran
I don't see why people are so against Correa being the starting WILB. Aside from that one play he had a good game against the Bengals, and he's likely just going to get better. He'll probably be better than Orr after a few more weeks. He's not Arthur Brown, who couldn't even win the starting job when it was handed to him on a silver platter.

As for Bowser, I think he does more for us on the edge than at ILB. It lets him line up directly on the tightend. Also, since he's a good edge rusher, can set the edge, and is great in coverage, him being there keeps the defense guessing. Will he be the fourth rusher or will he drop in coverage? Besides, Pees loves using edge guys to cover. Even Upshaw was put out into coverage. I'd say for out defense him working as Sam while the WOLB is the more typical passrusher fits what Pees wants to do perfectly.
Correa has looked completely lost against the run all preseason and now in a regular season game. I'm not sure what he actually offers us right now because he's proving particularly good at anything. He's just "not bad."

Well Correa was handed the starting job on a silver platter too but hasnt won it yet, thats why hes splitting snaps with Peanut and Bam. Harbaugh is waiting for one of them to pull away from the other

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Well Correa was handed the starting job on a silver platter too but hasnt won it yet, thats why hes splitting snaps with Peanut and Bam. Harbaugh is waiting for one of them to pull away from the other

Any free agent signings salary wouldn't be guaranteed now that we are past week 1 so if neither emerges then a vet is still an option

At this point though you have to say that even with some misses vs the bengals that onwuasor fits better, made more of a difference and seems to want it more

But they're only fighting over 2 downs really some of the time because of our increased usage of dime and levine's sole ownership of that dimebacker role

I think the Ravens probably don't want
What is the extent of his injury?

It's not as serious, and I recall Zrebeic reporting that it's more of an ankle issue than a knee issues so he should be back soon. He's probably being kept out of the Cleveland game partially as a precaution but he is very much in the cards to return week 3. I'm not a medical expert but my bet is that we definitely will have him back by week 4.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor

It's not as serious, and I recall Zrebeic reporting that it's more of an ankle issue than a knee issues so he should be back soon. He's probably being kept out of the Cleveland game partially as a precaution but he is very much in the cards to return week 3. I'm not a medical expert but my bet is that we definitely will have him back by week 4.
Thanks

rossihunter2

Staff Member

There's been no real information but the fact that the coaches specifically have said that he'll miss this week suggests to me that he's already a week-to-week proposition which given how serious that injury looked in the first instance is a great positive