• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The General Front 7 Thread

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
if we extend Cj and jimmy and lower their cap hits for next year we probably open up more cap space too

CJ is a nobrainer since he'll be playing on the 5th yr option but Jimmy's contract I'd leave as is since we've already restructured once and I wouldn't be adding years on by extension since he has had injury problems in the past and still has at least 3 yrs remaining as is

rossihunter2

Staff Member
CJ is a nobrainer since he'll be playing on the 5th yr option but Jimmy's contract I'd leave as is since we've already restructured once and I wouldn't be adding years on by extension since he has had injury problems in the past and still has at least 3 yrs remaining as is

if we dont add years by extending him then his cap hit is enormous - we have to extend jimmy and its not like we have to give him a 5 year contract but adding another 2-3 years onto his contract helps both him and us - he gets a new signing bonus and we get to even out his cap hit

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
if we dont add years by extending him then his cap hit is enormous - we have to extend jimmy and its not like we have to give him a 5 year contract but adding another 2-3 years onto his contract helps both him and us - he gets a new signing bonus and we get to even out his cap hit

Went over to OTC and seen he only had 2 more years( thought he had 4 for some reason )on his contract so yes an extension should be in the works and at least 2 yrs but they have to make sure its flatline across the board and not a low cap hit first year. He counts for the next 2 yrs at around 16 mil each. It would be nice with an extension if each year could avg around 12-13 mil range, Its a small savings but more feasible thru the yrs.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Went over to OTC and seen he only had 2 more years( thought he had 4 for some reason )on his contract so yes an extension should be in the works and at least 2 yrs but they have to make sure its flatline across the board and not a low cap hit first year. He counts for the next 2 yrs at around 16 mil each. It would be nice with an extension if each year could avg around 12-13 mil range, Its a small savings but more feasible thru the yrs.

tbh id want more of a front-loaded deal so that he becomes cuttable at the end of his contract if he gets too injured or falls off a cliff but its gotta reduce his cap a little bit at least from next season's cap hit - and it should be 12-13 mill range we paid him like a young in his prime number 1 corner and gave him a deal worth less than 11 mill/year - gotta think that his next deal will be less than 13 as an average if you include inflation by salary cap, his rivals all being around 14 mill per year as an average but also he's older than most of his rivals - and none of them ever accumulate cap hits above 14 mill - he'll be nearly/over 16 mill cap hits the next 2 days

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
tbh id want more of a front-loaded deal so that he becomes cuttable at the end of his contract if he gets too injured or falls off a cliff but its gotta reduce his cap a little bit at least from next season's cap hit - and it should be 12-13 mill range we paid him like a young in his prime number 1 corner and gave him a deal worth less than 11 mill/year - gotta think that his next deal will be less than 13 as an average if you include inflation by salary cap, his rivals all being around 14 mill per year as an average but also he's older than most of his rivals - and none of them ever accumulate cap hits above 14 mill - he'll be nearly/over 16 mill cap hits the next 2 days
One thing to understand will be the league having a new tv deal sometime around the next cba. This will also raise the salary cap. This is why I’d rather it be pretty level throughout with small increases.

If we had a decent amount of cap space next year than I would agree with you, but we need some space next year.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
One thing to understand will be the league having a new tv deal sometime around the next cba. This will also raise the salary cap. This is why I’d rather it be pretty level throughout with small increases.

If we had a decent amount of cap space next year than I would agree with you, but we need some space next year.

that's fair - i always forget the new CBA will likely change the salary cap significantly but my worry is we'd get the higher cap hits before the new cba comes in

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
that's fair - i always forget the new CBA will likely change the salary cap significantly but my worry is we'd get the higher cap hits before the new cba comes in
Yes that is very true. Teams may anticipate, but they won’t really know the knew tv deals.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Suggs said that he is expecting to finish his career on a different team!! Dam i dont wanna see him leave

What? Where did you see that?

its a nothing story based around a partial quote from a speculative question by jamison hensley
the gist of the interaction was that he was asked whether he'd be a raven for life and he said he damn sure wanted to but that you never know in this business and that he would be prepared if the time came or something like that
there was no suggestion that either he or the ravens want or expect him to leave/be pushed out of baltimore until he retires - it was just an awareness of the realities of the salary cap but given that he's still leading this team in sacks i dont think its gonna be an issue to be honest

i expect him to retire at the end of next year anyway if he decides he likes the look of the offence and thinks there's a good run in the team starting

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
its a nothing story based around a partial quote from a speculative question by jamison hensley
the gist of the interaction was that he was asked whether he'd be a raven for life and he said he damn sure wanted to but that you never know in this business and that he would be prepared if the time came or something like that
there was no suggestion that either he or the ravens want or expect him to leave/be pushed out of baltimore until he retires - it was just an awareness of the realities of the salary cap but given that he's still leading this team in sacks i dont think its gonna be an issue to be honest

i expect him to retire at the end of next year anyway if he decides he likes the look of the offence and thinks there's a good run in the team starting
Oh, good.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
its almost like ravens fans are incredibly intelligent until a couple of times when they become wilfully ignorant and start sharing things without even researching them with a modicum of interest - this is the 2nd time ive dispelled this rumour today lol and i only used google...

it seems like some people really want the worst to happen
i wouldnt say its a rumor when he actually said it and being that he is in last year of contract it can happen, although i dnt think it will. At his age, our current cap situation, and his contract situation its something that should be talker about . I mean he is playing very well and the fact that his football iq is so good, i can see him playing at this current level for atleast 2 more seasons. im sure we re sign him for something reasonable

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i wouldnt say its a rumor when he actually said it and being that he is in last year of contract it can happen, although i dnt think it will. At his age, our current cap situation, and his contract situation its something that should be talker about . I mean he is playing very well and the fact that his football iq is so good, i can see him playing at this current level for atleast 2 more seasons. im sure we re sign him for something reasonable

pretty sure he's got another year left...

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
He’s not in the last year of his contract. 2018 is the last year.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Damn there are some idiots out there.
Lmao no matter how many comments of mines you dislike or what you say it dont bother me. I think there is a way you can block people on here, just gone head and do it lol. I still like your comments and agree with some stuff you say so that goes to show you that i really dgaf. You must be one of the guys that i proved wrong and called out before so now you just hate anything i say lol....if so i love it