• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Booze Thread

The Raven

Veteran
A few people mentioned this in the favorite meal thread, so I thought I'd get it started. This is the booze thread.

What's your fave? As far as beer goes, I'm very into stouts, porters, and IPAs. I'm more of a whiskey guy though. Bourbon's my favorite -- Wild Turkey is my go to -- but I dig scotch when I have the money and I've been turned on to rye lately. I'm always up for recommendations, so if you've got a good beer or whiskey, hit me up! Love trying new things -- especially if it's local.

Inqui

Pro Bowler
c27670f851de2b888a8aa7d1d2de46f9.jpg

K-Dog

MVP
I am that guy.

I don't like beer.

I have a few friends that are beer snobs. A few brew their own stuff. Some have made it their lifes mission to find a beer that I like.
I don't think I have tried 100's but I have tried A LOT. I simply don't like the taste of beer.

Mixed drinks? Scotch? Wine? Champagne?
Meh. Does nothing for me.

I drank Mikes Hard Lemonade for some time, but I figured I can just buy some Minute Maide and save a lot of money.

Drinking to get shit faced? I don't even get the point of that.

The Raven

Veteran

Dragon fruit peach beer? I mean if it's in your fridge you must like it. May put it on the list but I tend to avoid the sweeter drinks.

I am that guy.

I don't like beer.

I have a few friends that are beer snobs. A few brew their own stuff. Some have made it their lifes mission to find a beer that I like.
I don't think I have tried 100's but I have tried A LOT. I simply don't like the taste of beer.

Mixed drinks? Scotch? Wine? Champagne?
Meh. Does nothing for me.

I drank Mikes Hard Lemonade for some time, but I figured I can just buy some Minute Maide and save a lot of money.

Drinking to get shit faced? I don't even get the point of that.

That's fair and nothin' wrong with it.

Inqui

Pro Bowler
Dragon fruit peach beer? I mean if it's in your fridge you must like it. May put it on the list but I tend to avoid the sweeter drinks.
I was just kidding about that. It was a Family Guy reference.

In seriousness, these days I tend to drink beer more because I like the taste of that particular beer (so I don't mind shelling out a little more) and I tend to prefer lagers or ales so there tends to be more of an actual flavour. The main ones I get these days are NZ brews like Monteith's or Mac's, which are obviously fancier than our local equivalents of Budweiser or Bud Light. I'm also not averse to trying different cheese pairings with them. If I'm travelling I like to get something that's brewed locally (or at least close to wherever I am).

In terms of spirits, I think if you drink whisky you may as well shell out and get a proper single malt even if the price tag can make your eyes water (Caol Ila's good if you like an islay - very peppery and peaty). I find cheap whisky absolutely vile and prefer rum if I'm going down that road, since a not-terrible bottle tends to be in the same price bracket but it tastes 100x better.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Beer is good, I mean really good, especially after vigorous physical activity. While I don't drink it to get drunk, a good beer buzz seems to heal the body and the soul. lol. My favorites tend to be ales...... Loose Cannon Hop3, Kona Fire Rock, Sierra Nevada Pale, etc..,. Also have some favorite lighter lagers for times when I may be having more than 1 or 2 pints :Dlike Kona Longboard, Yuengling Light.....and yes, the ubiquitous Coors Light. While it is more like sparkling water than beer, Coors Light is most refreshing when it is cooking hot outside and the sweat is pouring. Good refreshment on the water as well as it is really hard to "over indulge". Any and all of it needs to be ice cold, preferably right at 32 or 33 where removing a bit more latent heat would form ice. haha

Don't drink much brown liquor other than a rare Crown and ginger. If I drink a cocktail it's usually Belvedere/Grey Goose and cranberry. My palette just doesn't like straight liquor.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
I'm a beer lover, and I have the utmost luck of having a GF that is too, so we share some great moments together chilling at bars drinking pints or at my house drinking bottles from time to time. Still a student though, so not like I can afford anything too expensive, I kind of enjoy any beer anyway (in that sense you could say I'm not a fanatic because even the low quality is fine with me).

Not a Whiskey guy at all, can't stand the flavour really, but a few friends of mine are in love with the Redbreast, apparently it's a really good one.

I'm much more of a Rhum guy actually, in the city where I used to study (Rennes, West side of France, great city for any student) there was a bar that served their own flavoured rhum (don't know how you guys call it) and it was a favourite for me and my boys.

I also love liquor in coffee or hot chocolate.

The Raven

Veteran
Beer is good, I mean really good, especially after vigorous physical activity. While I don't drink it to get drunk, a good beer buzz seems to heal the body and the soul. lol. My favorites tend to be ales...... Loose Cannon Hop3, Kona Fire Rock, Sierra Nevada Pale, etc..,. Also have some favorite lighter lagers for times when I may be having more than 1 or 2 pints :Dlike Kona Longboard, Yuengling Light.....and yes, the ubiquitous Coors Light. While it is more like sparkling water than beer, Coors Light is most refreshing when it is cooking hot outside and the sweat is pouring. Good refreshment on the water as well as it is really hard to "over indulge". Any and all of it needs to be ice cold, preferably right at 32 or 33 where removing a bit more latent heat would form ice. haha

Don't drink much brown liquor other than a rare Crown and ginger. If I drink a cocktail it's usually Belvedere/Grey Goose and cranberry. My palette just doesn't like straight liquor.
Loose Cannon is one of my favorite beers by far. Tis a good one.

Rav'n Maniac

Practice Squad
I like my beer as well as my J.D. Ain't nothing like a few chili's after a hot day of working. If I'm doing shooters, I like Patron with hot sauce or with a ring of old bay around the glass and then there's that Wild Turkey Honey Sting.

The Raven

Veteran
I like my beer as well as my J.D. Ain't nothing like a few chili's after a hot day of working. If I'm doing shooters, I like Patron with hot sauce or with a ring of old bay around the glass and then there's that Wild Turkey Honey Sting.
I love me some Wild Turkey American Honey -- how's the honey sting in comparison?

The Raven

Veteran
Their honey is the best I've tried and the sting far exceeds fireball, no where near as syrupy.
I'm not surprised. Fireball is cinnamon liqueur pretending to be whiskey. It tastes like Hot Tamales mixed with mouthwash and bleach. Lol.

That's just me... I mean no offense lol

jdynamite

Ravens Ring of Honor
I've always been more of a hard drinker, Crown Royal, Hennessy , Don Julio Tequila, Grey Goose.
On the rare occasion that I have a beer its probably going to be a Blue Moon or Shiner Bock, unless some buddies come over with free stuff.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
I am not much of an IPA guy, too hoppy for me as I prefer the stouts. I usually order Guinness when I am at a bar, but only on draft, as it just don't taste right if it is not nitro poured out of a tap. I also like Yards Love Stout on tap and DuClaw's Celtic Fury. As the hard stuff goes, I like pretty much drink everything, except Gin.

Irish Raven

Practice Squad
Personally a huge fan of Jameson. When I want something else I will usually go with Guinness but only from a pub/bar I know. Nothing worse than a bad pint of plain IMO

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Don't drink beer unless it's a loaded corona. Tequila and scotch usually. Don Julio or Milagro on a budget. Johnny Walker Black and Jameson. Was a Jack fan but haven't had it in years. If getting a mixed drink will usually go Crown and ginger ale. Best thread ever!

...until the weed thread

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
Beer and whiskey for me. I like stout beers or porters as well as your typical lagers. I also take my whiskey neat.

Dont get me started on weed now....lol