• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Soccer

rossihunter2

Staff Member

rossihunter2

Staff Member
No doubt they've been big spenders in the past but recently I don't remember them turning heads with some acquisition, with the exception of Morata. Maybe just me though.

No I think you're right - a lot of that crazy historical spending is concentrated between 2003 and the advent of financial fair play

In recent times lots of Chelsea buys are subsidised by selling players - matic is a good example this year and costa probably will bring some money back in too - together they will likely offset the cost of morata coming in

Inqui

Pro Bowler
Man U is so annoying since Sir Alex left. It's exactly what I hate to see in terms of team-building (gneeee we have money let's overpay for every flashy name) and Mourinho is an asshole, straight-up. Glad they can't win.
That's why I became a Newcastle fan way back in the day. The first thing I knew about footballsoccer was that I hated Manchester United and the first Premier League game I saw was Newcastle (led by Alan Shearer, so this goes back a fair way) putting a wrecking on them so I knew that's the side I liked.

It's nice to see the boys back in town, and in time for the cable TV provider here to finally sort its shit out. Though I think we're batting for mid-table at best given the (lack of) action in the transfer window to date. If we drop again I think that could be it for Rafa and that'd basically set the club back until we get a better owner.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
That's why I became a Newcastle fan way back in the day. The first thing I knew about footballsoccer was that I hated Manchester United and the first Premier League game I saw was Newcastle (led by Alan Shearer, so this goes back a fair way) putting a wrecking on them so I knew that's the side I liked.

It's nice to see the boys back in town, and in time for the cable TV provider here to finally sort its shit out. Though I think we're batting for mid-table at best given the (lack of) action in the transfer window to date. If we drop again I think that could be it for Rafa and that'd basically set the club back until we get a better owner.
Shearer was the man, when he lined up to take a penalty everyone and their mother knew they had to prepare another net because he was going to launch a canon. Wish they could show some Shearer's tape to the guys who start jogging before shooting...

mc_red23

Pro Bowler
Managers that solely rely on spending money to do anything piss me off. Mourinho is at the very top of that list. He couldn’t develop a player from the ground up if his life depended on it. The only time he played academy lads last season was when he gave up on trying to qualify in the top 4 and even then 4 of those 6 players only played in 1 game (the same game).

When your a manager spending as much as Mourinho does on transfer & wages, how can you not get results or be expected to get results? Their league finishes have to start improving though, spending as much as they do means finishing 6th isn't anywhere near good enough. I know they've won a League Cup, an FA cup & a Europa League title in the past couple of years and it's more than most teams have won BUT not everybody else has a £450m net spend across a 4 year period.

Their defence actually stands out as the strongest area in their team and I envy what they can do with a group of just decent at best defenders but that could just be because of the negative tactics that the past 3 managers have used. In the past 4 seasons their defence has finished in the top 1-5 in the league. Their attack on the other hand has finished between 4th & 10th (last two seasons it’s been 10th & 8th). That has to change now that they've paid 90m + Rooney for Lukaku. Martial, Mkhitaryan, Mata, Pogba, Lukaku etc. that is a group of players that should be playing attacking football.

As you say Tank, Chelsea have been lucky when it comes to their spending. They basically bought a load of young players for relatively cheap prices, kept farming them out to here, there and everywhere until the transfer market became ridiculous and then sold some of them.

It’s not as though they haven’t spent some money though. Morata, Rudiger, Bakayoko, Batshuayi, Kante, Luiz & Alonso have cost them approx.£250m.

mc_red23

Pro Bowler

I think Newcastle will do remarkably well to finish mid table. The squad really doesn't look good enough. A potential defence of Darlow, Yedlin, Lascelles, Clark & Dummett could ship a ton of goals if Rafa doesn't work his magic. If the team is organised enough though then I guess anything can happen.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Managers that solely rely on spending money to do anything piss me off. Mourinho is at the very top of that list. He couldn’t develop a player from the ground up if his life depended on it. The only time he played academy lads last season was when he gave up on trying to qualify in the top 4 and even then 4 of those 6 players only played in 1 game (the same game).

When your a manager spending as much as Mourinho does on transfer & wages, how can you not get results or be expected to get results? Their league finishes have to start improving though, spending as much as they do means finishing 6th isn't anywhere near good enough. I know they've won a League Cup, an FA cup & a Europa League title in the past couple of years and it's more than most teams have won BUT not everybody else has a £450m net spend across a 4 year period.

Their defence actually stands out as the strongest area in their team and I envy what they can do with a group of just decent at best defenders but that could just be because of the negative tactics that the past 3 managers have used. In the past 4 seasons their defence has finished in the top 1-5 in the league. Their attack on the other hand has finished between 4th & 10th (last two seasons it’s been 10th & 8th). That has to change now that they've paid 90m + Rooney for Lukaku. Martial, Mkhitaryan, Mata, Pogba, Lukaku etc. that is a group of players that should be playing attacking football.

As you say Tank, Chelsea have been lucky when it comes to their spending. They basically bought a load of young players for relatively cheap prices, kept farming them out to here, there and everywhere until the transfer market became ridiculous and then sold some of them.

It’s not as though they haven’t spent some money though. Morata, Rudiger, Bakayoko, Batshuayi, Kante, Luiz & Alonso have cost them approx.£250m.

Even though they've never really found a replacement for Vidic others have stepped up. Surprising how well Valencia played defensively last year. Smalling hasn't filled the bill yet, but adding Bailly was key and Rojo had been serviceable. Of course having de Gea in the net immediately upgrades any defense exponentially. Adding Matic in front of of those guys will only make the D that much better.

Like you said they have to score goals. Lukaku, Rashford, Martial, etc. need to fill the void left by the loss of Ibra. And for all of Pogba's determination handling the ball he just hasn't finished his chances. Also, I was reading that there's a chance Ibra may return after rehab. A tandem of him and Lukaku would be insane!

Tank

Hall of Famer
So what's the bet on CR7's suspension? I'm making a guess of 3 games added to the 2 game red card.

mc_red23

Pro Bowler
Even though they've never really found a replacement for Vidic others have stepped up. Surprising how well Valencia played defensively last year. Smalling hasn't filled the bill yet, but adding Bailly was key and Rojo had been serviceable. Of course having de Gea in the net immediately upgrades any defense exponentially. Adding Matic in front of of those guys will only make the D that much better.

Like you said they have to score goals. Lukaku, Rashford, Martial, etc. need to fill the void left by the loss of Ibra. And for all of Pogba's determination handling the ball he just hasn't finished his chances. Also, I was reading that there's a chance Ibra may return after rehab. A tandem of him and Lukaku would be insane!

Lukaku will score about 10 more in the league than Ibra did last season. They need Rashford to start scoring more. I keep seeing United fans bigging him up to a ridiculous level but all I've seen from him is speed and the odd goal but his finishing can be absolutely horrendous at times. Ibra - if he does return - will probably sign a 6 month deal sometime in January.

mc_red23

Pro Bowler
So what's the bet on CR7's suspension? I'm making a guess of 3 games added to the 2 game red card.

My bet is he pays off the Spanish FA and he gets to play next game:lol:. Honestly, I didn't watch the game, I was too busy watching athletics but I heard he pushed the ref or something?

Tank

Hall of Famer
My bet is he pays off the Spanish FA and he gets to play next game:lol:. Honestly, I didn't watch the game, I was too busy watching athletics but I heard he pushed the ref or something?

yeah, lol maybe so. He didn't start, subbed in the second half and got a two yellow/red. He then kinda shoved the ref with one hand.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Lukaku will score about 10 more in the league than Ibra did last season. They need Rashford to start scoring more. I keep seeing United fans bigging him up to a ridiculous level but all I've seen from him is speed and the odd goal but his finishing can be absolutely horrendous at times. Ibra - if he does return - will probably sign a 6 month deal sometime in January.

Not sure if you saw the match yesterday but Rashford looks like he meshes well with Lukaku. And he's filling out into that big frame(he is still just 19). I think the gushing over him is more what they think he will become over the next few years. Marcus does look to be a beast in the making.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Terrible blow to the US men's WC hopes. They looked like pooh at home against a good CR squad. Keylor Navas is a beast!

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Time to chip in here, since my boys Red Star Belgrade made it to the group stage of EL after 10 years of struggle and a battle to survive shoddy politicians and mafia.

Drew Arsenal in our group. I'm afraid they're going to avenge this one, with interest:

Tank

Hall of Famer
Time to chip in here, since my boys Red Star Belgrade made it to the group stage of EL after 10 years of struggle and a battle to survive shoddy politicians and mafia.

Drew Arsenal in our group. I'm afraid they're going to avenge this one, with interest:

Judging from the hair styles I'm guessing there has been plenty of time to accumulate interest. lol

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Shearer was the man, when he lined up to take a penalty everyone and their mother knew they had to prepare another net because he was going to launch a canon. Wish they could show some Shearer's tape to the guys who start jogging before shooting...
0:0 vs Luxembourg? That's near unforgivable. Did all those mountains of money messed their brains and tied their legs?

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
0:0 vs Luxembourg? That's near unforgivable. Did all those mountains of money messed their brains and tied their legs?
FFS that game was so frustrating, I think the stats were 40 shots to 2 or something like that. I can't be mad because it's just the Lux squad who played it well, but I can't believe how many occasions we've missed. Fortunately we're still first in our group but we need better finishing. It was the same against Netherlands before they completely lost it. Always a tough time to play though, a lot of players are not in good shape. And Mendy was injured.