• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Zach Orr's Potential Return

Status
Not open for further replies.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ng-a-return-to-nfl-after-new-health-prognosis

so this is crazy - this would be just like our recent luck that we progress a guy to 2nd team all pro level from an udfa and could tender him but he retires

and then... when he finds out he doesnt need to retire anymore suddenly we've lost his rights because why would we tender a retired guy?

if it wasn't so tragic, i would find it funny and of course i wish zach the best but it just seems like the kind of thing that is destined to happen and yet again leave us asking what if?

Sooky

Pro Bowler
I was just about to post this. I really hope Orr would sign with Baltimore again if he really is able to return. The team gave him a chance and he was a spark for the defense. But I am not sure what the team's cap situation is like, and I am not sure how much money or how big of a long term deal the team would be willing to give a guy that seems to be on the fence about an eventual NFL return.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Won't care if he comes back or doesnt. An average linebacker.
Agreed. I loved watching him swarm to the ball last year, but when Mosley went down his struggles were very apparent. He made a lot of tackles in the intermediate range, but I wouldn't flip my lid over it.

Happy for him, he has a choice now. Great guy and hard worker. Hope it works out well for him

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Wow. Good for him. But I swear to god, if we break the bank for him I'm going to kill Ozzie. We've drafted his replacement in Bowser and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he outperformed him immediately. I've been saying this all along, Orr was the most overrated player on the defense last season.

Congrats though zach. Hope the browns don't overpay for you

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Agreed. I loved watching him swarm to the ball last year, but when Mosley went down his struggles were very apparent. He made a lot of tackles in the intermediate range, but I wouldn't flip my lid over it.

Happy for him, he has a choice now. Great guy and hard worker. Hope it works out well for him
Yeah, it's also noteworthy that even with all the tackles he had, he still wasn't that good against the run.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
I understand a lot of you think he is overrated and that is probably true, but at least the team would know what they are getting out of him. Depth is needed still at that position.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I understand a lot of you think he is overrated and that is probably true, but at least the team would know what they are getting out of him. Depth is needed still at that position.
I would agree that signing him for depth purposes at a reasonable contract would be nice, but not if it hinders us to sign a RT.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Should we stay away from him then? Avoid any potential injuries and let the younger guys compete?

Sooky

Pro Bowler
I would agree that signing him for depth purposes at a reasonable contract would be nice, but not if it hinders us to sign a RT.
I mean if you think about it... If some professionals have told him that he may be risking his life if he keeps playing or the possibility of paralysis, I don't think anyone would want to sign him long term. I'm not a doctor but I definitely see him as being a value signing potentially. Him and Mosley healthy did damage.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
Should we stay away from him then? Avoid any potential injuries and let the younger guys compete?
I think leaning on too many guys is too risky especially when Flacco's window is shrinking to return this team to another super bowl. I think you try signing him to a decent contract and if Bowser or Correa outplay him then fantastic good for them. But this team has been down this road before. Leaning on too many young guys can kill an entire season.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I think leaning on too many guys is too risky especially when Flacco's window is shrinking to return this team to another super bowl. I think you try signing him to a decent contract and if Bowser or Correa outplay him then fantastic good for them. But this team has been down this road before. Leaning on too many young guys can kill an entire season.
That's true. I'm still kind of worried about his health, though.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
That's true. I'm still kind of worried about his health, though.
I agree but if a lot of recent tests have dictated he will probably be safe I think it is worth the risk. Let's say Bowser/Correa go down for the year in a couple weeks who is left to replace them?

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor

Agreed. I think you can plug in just about any LB next to Mosley and get similar results. Let the young players compete for the spot (Correa, Bowser, etc.) and let Orr sign somewhere else. The only player(s) we should be signing at this point are for O-line.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
I think Orr was in a Malcolm Smith situation- the Will in an otherwise good defense is rarely going to get exposed. He'll probably always be playing at a decent level if the DL keeps him clean.

Do I think he could replicate last season? Sure if he's been working out (which we don't really know- the injury in his neck could have prevented him from doing what a normal NFL workout would require) and gets signed to one of the 5 best defenses in the league. But if one of the teams with a ton of cap space signs him to play behind an average DL, there's probably going to be some buyer's remorse.

If he's back here, great, if not oh well. I'm already excited for the possibilities of playing a safety like Jefferson or Levine in the nickel linebacker role on passing downs. Also excited to see what Correa can do if he got his head right and to see what Onwuasor can do if Correa doesn't work out.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
If we can get him for a one year, " let's see" type deal it's worth it.
Especially if it means finally releasing McClellan to make room

jboy19

Pro Bowler
It's also worth noting that there's no guarantee he would pass any NFL team's physical. The fact that the Ravens were so encouraging of his retirement means it's more likely than not that he wouldn't pass a physical- especially in Baltimore by the same doctors that probably encouraged his retirement.

The Raven

Veteran
This is wild news considering there was one report that said he was our FA priority over Williams.

In the long run, I think we still came out on top. For the long term, I'd rather have Williams and Bowser than Orr and (insert DT from a thin, weak class here). Orr was a solid chase linebacker but nothing more. He's not spectacular at anything except for pursuing and tackling. Recognition, coverage, and block shedding are all average.

He never did file retirement papers, so maybe we can get a comp pick in theory? Not sure how it works with him being a UDFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.