• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Zach Orr's Potential Return

Status
Not open for further replies.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
With the type of injury he suffered, I don't care what doctor cleared him or how many physicals he passes. He's still a dangerous hit away from making this the biggest mistake of his life coming out of retirement. I think he is making a huge mistake coming out of retirement regardless of the motive. If some other team wants to deal with it, then they can. Hopefully Ozzie stays away and focuses on the OL.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Bowser has a different role. SAM linebacker.
Hopefully Correa has come on leaps and bounds since last year. WILL linebacker isn't the most demanding role and it shows with the amount of success we've had in finding guys lineup in that position.
He will more than likely play the "Jamie Collins" role in our defense.

K-Dog

MVP
With the type of injury he suffered, I don't care what doctor cleared him or how many physicals he passes. He's still a dangerous hit away from making this the biggest mistake of his life coming out of retirement. I think he is making a huge mistake coming out of retirement regardless of the motive. If some other team wants to deal with it, then they can. Hopefully Ozzie stays away and focuses on the OL.

Which is why I doubt he is going to get a huge paycheck.
Granted 8 teams looking at him could push that number up, but I don't think much.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Couldn't agree more. I'd let him go regardless because of the money and we don't want another Pitta here. No, sir. Let Orr go and call that a day; I am just salty because the team gets nothing for developing this guy after all that time invested because of a fluke retirement and then decision to not retire. It's kinda like "whoa, man, that's just not right." Maybe the Ravens can still pull a Belichick and slap Orr with that designation where he will count as a compensatory pick if signed at any point.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Couldn't agree more. I'd let him go regardless because of the money and we don't want another Pitta here. No, sir. Let Orr go and call that a day; I am just salty because the team gets nothing for developing this guy after all that time invested because of a fluke retirement and then decision to not retire. It's kinda like "whoa, man, that's just not right." Maybe the Ravens can still pull a Belichick and slap Orr with that designation where he will count as a compensatory pick if signed at any point.
Is it too late to do that? I thought they did it on the deadline, but I could be mistaken.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Is it too late to do that? I thought they did it on the deadline, but I could be mistaken.
I have absolutely no idea. I didn't even know that was even a thing until this year. I think the NFL should make some kind of rule for this, though, because if he signs for like 5/50M (obviously wouldn't happen, just making an outlandish claim to prove a point) then that would be some BS if we lost out on a 3rd or 4th round comp because he "retired then didn't". I'd say that about any team, not just the Ravens.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
He will more than likely play the "Jamie Collins" role in our defense.

Best analogy yet for him!! That is who his skills resemble. If he turns into Collins at ilb the ravens have the most formidable lbs in the NFL. Timmy, Mosley,Bowser Judon is scary good!! Think he can blitz a little better than Collins however

jboy19

Pro Bowler
I have absolutely no idea. I didn't even know that was even a thing until this year. I think the NFL should make some kind of rule for this, though, because if he signs for like 5/50M (obviously wouldn't happen, just making an outlandish claim to prove a point) then that would be some BS if we lost out on a 3rd or 4th round comp because he "retired then didn't". I'd say that about any team, not just the Ravens.

I would be really surprised if they didn't institute some kind of rule in the future to deal with this kind of situation, but I don't think this kind of thing has ever happened before.

I just feel terrible for Orr though,especially since it does seem like he wants to come back to Baltimore. I definitely think that he was given bad advice and now he's making a very, very bad decision.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I would be really surprised if they didn't institute some kind of rule in the future to deal with this kind of situation, but I don't think this kind of thing has ever happened before.

I just feel terrible for Orr though,especially since it does seem like he wants to come back to Baltimore. I definitely think that he was given bad advice and now he's making a very, very bad decision.
Bad advice that he can still play?

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
I have absolutely no idea. I didn't even know that was even a thing until this year. I think the NFL should make some kind of rule for this, though, because if he signs for like 5/50M (obviously wouldn't happen, just making an outlandish claim to prove a point) then that would be some BS if we lost out on a 3rd or 4th round comp because he "retired then didn't". I'd say that about any team, not just

Agree we should get a draft pick. But don't care about Orr. this could be a lucky break. If Orr didn't retire we may not of drafted Bowser. If Bowser plays to his potential he will be as good as Jamie Collins. And weapon on defense. Orr is a good solid player but not the weapon Jamie Collins is and Bowser will become of. Bowser is of rare freakish skills. Ravens aren't really losing anything. This is an opportunity to get better. And I like Timmy,Mosley,Bowser, Judon better than Williams Mosley Orr Judon.

Bowser isn't Correa. He has all the tools to be great. Ravens got better at lb. punctuated. More worried about somebody stepping up at defensive tackle. And getting pressure like Wormley or Henry. Money on Henry. A freak athlete but not a lock

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Im sorry, but Orr is better than every lb we have other than mosley so lets stop comparing our rookies and correa to him.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
His situation reminds me somewhat of Chris Bosh's scenario. The will is obviously there, but finding a medical staff comfortable enough to clear Orr will be a challenge within itself. Not to mention the perpetual risk with continued contact. I wish him all the best and I hope he's able to continue his career without any major hurdles. But I am relieved that we already addressed the position via the draft.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
Correa and Bowser have a higher ceiling than Orr and it's not even really close.
So because they have higher ceiling we gonna say they better? Cmon man, we dont even know positions them guys are gonna end up playing, better yet correa may not even end up playing. Orr has proven he can play and even won the position over correa...just cause Orr not on the team anymore dont mean we should discredit his talent.... i know youre only saying that they have higher ceiling, but lots of people are calling them better when they have 0 downs played

jboy19

Pro Bowler
So because they have higher ceiling we gonna say they better? Cmon man, we dont even know positions them guys are gonna end up playing, better yet correa may not even end up playing. Orr has proven he can play and even won the position over correa...just cause Orr not on the team anymore dont mean we should discredit his talent.... i know youre only saying that they have higher ceiling, but lots of people are calling them better when they have 0 downs played

I don't think anyone is saying Orr is bad. But I definitely think its reasonable to think his loss isn't extremely significant. He excelled as a run-stopping linebacker- which are about a dime a dozen in today's NFL. Despite the interceptions he had, he struggled a lot in pass coverage (not a PFF fan- but they did have him as the second worst linebacker in coverage in the NFL last season). I wouldn't characterize him as a weak spot on the defense by any means, but he could definitely have been considered a limited player despite playing a 3 down role.

We won't know for a couple months whether Correa has the mental part of the game down or not, but as a physical specimen Correa probably brings a lot more to the table than Orr.

So are there questions? Obviously, but every team deals with losing players and having to replace them.

Would Orr be starting if he were still in Baltimore? Probably.

Is the defense worse without Orr? Maybe, but probably not significantly worse. I'm happier that the team spent the money to go after Jefferson and Carr than have brought Orr in for what probably would have been his last season in Baltimore anyway.

Truth

Staff Member
Administrator
I don't think anyone is saying Orr is bad. But I definitely think its reasonable to think his loss isn't extremely significant. He excelled as a run-stopping linebacker- which are about a dime a dozen in today's NFL. Despite the interceptions he had, he struggled a lot in pass coverage (not a PFF fan- but they did have him as the second worst linebacker in coverage in the NFL last season). I wouldn't characterize him as a weak spot on the defense by any means, but he could definitely have been considered a limited player despite playing a 3 down role.

We won't know for a couple months whether Correa has the mental part of the game down or not, but as a physical specimen Correa probably brings a lot more to the table than Orr.

So are there questions? Obviously, but every team deals with losing players and having to replace them.

Would Orr be starting if he were still in Baltimore? Probably.

Is the defense worse without Orr? Maybe, but probably not significantly worse. I'm happier that the team spent the money to go after Jefferson and Carr than have brought Orr in for what probably would have been his last season in Baltimore anyway.
They actually pegged him as a struggling run defender with a grade of 41.0 in that department, the 9th worst in the league (Link). The overall grade was of 87 qualifiers. He gave up the second most yards, but his coverage grade was middle of the pack.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
They actually pegged him as a struggling run defender with a grade of 41.0 in that department, the 9th worst in the league (Link). The overall grade was of 87 qualifiers. He gave up the second most yards, but his coverage grade was middle of the pack.

my bad, guess i misread an old tweet. thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.