• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Black Monday - 2019

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Currently the head coaching carousel is as follows

Skins -- Gruden and Callahan are out .
Skins -- Hired Rivera and Bruce Allen was fired

Giants -- Shurmer is out and interviewing McCarthy, Rhule, McDaniels, Wink

Panthers -- Rivera is out

Browns -- Freddie Kitchens out .... John Dorsey fired
Browns -- Interviewing everyone, including Greg Roman

Cowboys -- Mike McCarthy has been hired

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Browns have requested interviews with a bunch of coordinators including Greg Roman, Mike McCarthy and McDaniels.

Wink although not connected to a team is connected to Joe Brady, OC and Passing Game coordinator of LSU.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
watching NFL network and Steve Wyche and michael silver bringing up some important points about these coaching staffs and hiring:

the diversity in the league right now in positions of power is in one of the worst situations its been in a long time - assuming ron rivera gets hired by Washington there will be only 4 HCs who are POCs - but there's also so few POC playcallers at the moment and partly its because there seems to be some impression from potential minority candidates that their interviews are box-checks and that there is a logjam for POC moving up through the ranks...

and now apparently Robert Saleh in one his interviews the last year decided not to say what his ethnicity was on his interview form because he thought it would potentially negatively impact his chances at a job

its outrageous that minority coaches feel that way at this point - partly its because there's been too many sham interviews in recent times like the raiders interviewing people despite knowing they were hiring jon gruden

and part of the reason its happening they postulate is because of the lack of POC executives and GMs in the league which i think is an extremely fair point...

also why is jim caldwell not coaching in the league right now? how does he not have a job with all this chaos and lack of leadership around the league?

JO_75

Hall of Famer
So apparently of all the media speculation about Wink and Roman, only one team has called us about interviewing them according to Harbaugh. No calls for Wink and the only call so far is from the Browns who called for Roman and the Ravens granted permission to interview.

ALI624

Pro Bowler
Caldwell I believe has been dealing with health issues.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
watching NFL network and Steve Wyche and michael silver bringing up some important points about these coaching staffs and hiring:

the diversity in the league right now in positions of power is in one of the worst situations its been in a long time - assuming ron rivera gets hired by Washington there will be only 4 HCs who are POCs - but there's also so few POC playcallers at the moment and partly its because there seems to be some impression from potential minority candidates that their interviews are box-checks and that there is a logjam for POC moving up through the ranks...

and now apparently Robert Saleh in one his interviews the last year decided not to say what his ethnicity was on his interview form because he thought it would potentially negatively impact his chances at a job

its outrageous that minority coaches feel that way at this point - partly its because there's been too many sham interviews in recent times like the raiders interviewing people despite knowing they were hiring jon gruden

and part of the reason its happening they postulate is because of the lack of POC executives and GMs in the league which i think is an extremely fair point...

also why is jim caldwell not coaching in the league right now? how does he not have a job with all this chaos and lack of leadership around the league?

- The reason they are "box checks" is because that's how the NFL made the Rooney Rule. All you have to do is interview one POC and then hire the coach you actually want, as you said with the Raiders & Gruden. The NFL made it impossible for them to get serious interviews because they can just be used to satisfy a rule and be nothing more than a phony interview. It's a shame because they will be overlooked as serious hires but the rooney rule makes it that way.

- Yes the diversity in coaches and FO executives is in bad shape but should Marvin Lewis gotten another year just for the sake of diversity? Should the Browns had kept Hue Jackson on board despite being a terrible HC for the sake of diversity? Steve Wilks got a bad deal in Arizona after only being there for one year, Vance Joseph was the fall guy for Elway because he Elway isn't going to fire himself for not being able to draft QBs and expecting coaches to deal with his terrible decision making.

- On the matter of this subject, Pittsburgh and us would have had a different decade or so if they only interviewed Ron Rivera to satisfy the rule and not Mike Tomlin. Steelers interviewed Rivera to comply with the rule, most people thought Wisenhunt or Russ Grimm would replace Cowher. Whiz didn't wait and took the HC job in Arizona, Tomlin impressed enough in the interview to get the job over Grimm. Tomlin benefited from the rule but also did enough during the interview to get the job. If not for this rule, I think history looks much better on Joe Flacco and John Harbaugh as a QB-Head Coach duo without Tomlin being the HC of the Steelers.

- As for Caldwell, NFL Network's Aditi Kinkhabwala said he took a year off due to health issues but is ready to return for 2020. She also says Browns aren't interested in him for their Head Coaching job.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
- The reason they are "box checks" is because that's how the NFL made the Rooney Rule. All you have to do is interview one POC and then hire the coach you actually want, as you said with the Raiders & Gruden. The NFL made it impossible for them to get serious interviews because they can just be used to satisfy a rule and be nothing more than a phony interview. It's a shame because they will be overlooked as serious hires but the rooney rule makes it that way.

- Yes the diversity in coaches and FO executives is in bad shape but should Marvin Lewis gotten another year just for the sake of diversity? Should the Browns had kept Hue Jackson on board despite being a terrible HC for the sake of diversity? Steve Wilks got a bad deal in Arizona after only being there for one year, Vance Joseph was the fall guy for Elway because he Elway isn't going to fire himself for not being able to draft QBs and expecting coaches to deal with his terrible decision making.

- On the matter of this subject, Pittsburgh and us would have had a different decade or so if they only interviewed Ron Rivera to satisfy the rule and not Mike Tomlin. Steelers interviewed Rivera to comply with the rule, most people thought Wisenhunt or Russ Grimm would replace Cowher. Whiz didn't wait and took the HC job in Arizona, Tomlin impressed enough in the interview to get the job over Grimm. Tomlin benefited from the rule but also did enough during the interview to get the job. If not for this rule, I think history looks much better on Joe Flacco and John Harbaugh as a QB-Head Coach duo without Tomlin being the HC of the Steelers.

- As for Caldwell, NFL Network's Aditi Kinkhabwala said he took a year off due to health issues but is ready to return for 2020. She also says Browns aren't interested in him for their Head Coaching job.

the problem as i see it is coming from a logjam - there's so many promising minority coaches in senior positions in the college game but in the NFL it seems like the premier way to advancement for POC coaches is on the defensive side of the ball which is obviously less sexy than offence to teams when hiring

the problem is its currently a self-sustaining problem - the logjam makes it easier for owners and execs to justify not hiring the minority candidates because there's fewer minority playcallers but that's happening because they aren't being given opportunities in the same way

open question? is the rooney rule just for HCs or is it for all coaching and executive jobs?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
the problem as i see it is coming from a logjam - there's so many promising minority coaches in senior positions in the college game but in the NFL it seems like the premier way to advancement for POC coaches is on the defensive side of the ball which is obviously less sexy than offence to teams when hiring

the problem is its currently a self-sustaining problem - the logjam makes it easier for owners and execs to justify not hiring the minority candidates because there's fewer minority playcallers but that's happening because they aren't being given opportunities in the same way

open question? is the rooney rule just for HCs or is it for all coaching and executive jobs?
I believe it's now for executive jobs also. Definition is HC and Senior Personnel Jobs

JO_75

Hall of Famer
David Shaw out of Stanford is another one that I'm surprised doesn't get a look from the NFL. It baffles me that while deserving, only Riley, Meyer, Rhule and others only get brought up while Shaw is not mentioned at all.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
David Shaw out of Stanford is another one that I'm surprised doesn't get a look from the NFL. It baffles me that while deserving, only Riley, Meyer, Rhule and others only get brought up while Shaw is not mentioned at all.
in years past he has said he doesn't want to leave Stanford, but I've heard this could change if he was given another opportunity.