• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Black Monday - 2019

so we're still looking at only 4 vacancies - no jags or cowboys news yet
it's surprisingly quiet
True ... though I think the Cowboys job is open and that just goes without saying. Really, the Jags are the only one where a change is expected, so I'm thinking we'll end up with 5 or maybe 6

I had the sense that it would be quiet. Too many teams that sucked this year had been expected to suck and had 1st year coaches.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
the problem as i see it is coming from a logjam - there's so many promising minority coaches in senior positions in the college game but in the NFL it seems like the premier way to advancement for POC coaches is on the defensive side of the ball which is obviously less sexy than offence to teams when hiring

the problem is its currently a self-sustaining problem - the logjam makes it easier for owners and execs to justify not hiring the minority candidates because there's fewer minority playcallers but that's happening because they aren't being given opportunities in the same way

open question? is the rooney rule just for HCs or is it for all coaching and executive jobs?
What's a POC?

Inqui

Pro Bowler
81791976_3009020659144602_6897859838361993216_n.jpg

JO_75

Hall of Famer
I'm surprised McDaniels wouldn't want to go to a team who has a need for QB. With Brady being a free agent, McDaniels could get Brady to sign with the team he is coaching. Could you imagine McDaniels taking the Carolina job, shipping out Cam Newton and bringing in Brady on a Panthers team that is already built to win now.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So, that term includes all the colours except white?
So fucking sick of PC bullshit. They had to make a rule for black coaches to get interviews but it's OK - we'll call them persons of colour and nobody is racist that way.
Motherfuckers.

POC is a common descriptor in the US to describe anyone non-white - there are different problems and benefits to it as a term/popularised acronym - it ascribes a white-centric view of the world where people are white or "other" but it also allows for a collective interpretation of systemic racism through the common experiences of non-white people

it's not a particularly PC term - in NFL terms it mostly describes black players, coaches, execs etc. but it refers to any non-white ethnicity so not specifically just a descriptor for black people - not really sure what your problem with the acronym/term is?

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
POC is a common descriptor in the US to describe anyone non-white - there are different problems and benefits to it as a term/popularised acronym - it ascribes a white-centric view of the world where people are white or "other" but it also allows for a collective interpretation of systemic racism through the common experiences of non-white people

it's not a particularly PC term - in NFL terms it mostly describes black players, coaches, execs etc. but it refers to any non-white ethnicity so not specifically just a descriptor for black people - not really sure what your problem with the acronym/term is?
My problem is everybody hiding between politically/racially/etc. "correct" terms, always about form, never about substance.
My problem is the existence of the terms like that in the first place and the need to differentiate on colour.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
My problem is everybody hiding between politically/racially/etc. "correct" terms, always about form, never about substance.
My problem is the existence of the terms like that in the first place and the need to differentiate on colour.

it's just a descriptor of one type of collective group - and no one's forcing you to use it, it's not stopping you from using other terms as long as they arent racial pejoratives or slurs

i chose to use it in that context because it was an appropriate term to use given the discussion that was happening

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
there could be a surprise firing, but it won't happen until after the WC round. If the Vikings lose, Mike Zimmer could be fired.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
it's just a descriptor of one type of collective group - and no one's forcing you to use it, it's not stopping you from using other terms as long as they arent racial pejoratives or slurs

i chose to use it in that context because it was an appropriate term to use given the discussion that was happening
Oh, I thought POC is a term used by NFL officially, which ticked me off because there wouldn't be NFL without people of colour, mostly black people. Or there would be but extremely boring.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
per Jane Slater, there is still a linger of hope for Jason Garrett. I would laugh so hard if Jones keeps him in the building.