• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Ugly, The Murphy's Law and The Ravens

The Last Great Raven

Practice Squad
Banned
Its like a member of your family died. They were alive and healthy one moment and flat on their back stone, stone cold when you looked back around after hearing them fall. They went down hard, in a horrible racket...and the call to 911 was too late when it was being dialed. You push up their closed eyelids to see if their eyes are dilated and the image you see in those eyes is chilling. You begin cardiac chest massage alternating mouth to mouth and during the chest massage phase you swear you can hear a word escaping from their lips upon the forced air.

What caused it? Then you think back, when Lomar let the wind get under the first possession toss to Mark Andrew and air mailed him, your loved one exclaimed, "Goddern it Lomar, when are you going to learn to throw to someone that ain't a tight end!". (Something that Dean Pees clearly picked up upon.) When you got a good ground game, the tight ends are almost always covered one on one.

Later, when Tannehill threw a chandelle to a well covered Corey Davis, your loved one exclaimed, "Can't we get a frucking break, their man was covered for fruggin chris's sake....That was Not Possession freaken refs! (Except your love one didn't say frucking, fruggin, chris and freaken.)

Shortly thereafter, Lomar convinced Coach Harball to go for it on 4th and one. Heck, they had done it at the rate of 8 for 8 all year. Harball, wasn't gonna let a Playoff Game against a good defensive squad change his modus operandi and he sent Lomar into the pile to come up short and your loved one screamed, "These ain't the Dolphins, Harball you REJECT". (Except he didn't say Reject)

The very next play Kalif Raymond used Marlon's clumsiness against him and turned him every which way but cornerback and Tannehill dropped a dime on the Titan Receiver. That's when your loved one collapsed to the turf, because it was over right then and there. Already seeing Lomar's wobble ball in action it was clear there was not going to be a comeback. Lomar got some garbage yards later, but by that time Pees had already changed his defense and there was nothing the Raven's were going to do about it.

Your loved one died a predictable death, once someone figured Lomar out and Lomar did not disappoint. The visage in their glassy stare and the word that escaped their lips? Henry......Oh Henry.

Look what happened to my boys. We stunk up the field.

My big question: What was Harbaugh doing sending Lamar Jackson up the middle on 2 4th down plays with one yard to go?

...My friend from Baltimore said terrible coaching.

Them going up by 2 TDS early really flipped the script and we just couldn’t flip it back. I hate to say it but many talking heads said we haven’t had to play from behind at all at that surely helped to cause the overall continuous collapse. They just weren’t playing loose, looked tight and afraid to lose.

As bad as we played you gotta hand it to the Titans to be able to put us in that position. Sure the first pick started the ball rolling, but the throw and catch on that first TD were pretty spectacular. Then the brilliant play call to smoke Marlon and go up by 14 was top notch.

Man I feel depressed as fuck. It’s clear I take football way too seriously, I feel empty. Losing a football game shouldn’t make a person feel like they have nothing... anyone have any advice on maybe rooting for your team like a normal person?

At the end of the day it’s just a game. Life goes on you have a family that cares for you and depends on you. That’s the real deal.

Believe Dat

Practice Squad
I’m as sad as anyone, but I’m determined that this team is going to become better. Barring health, this front office is going to bring in talent and the existing young talent is going to improve. The first playoff win will come next year. I don’t care if we go 16-0 or 9-7, we are getting that first playoff W. And I pray that LJ can be mostly a spectator for it. Get the monkey off his back and move forward.

Charm City

Pro Bowler
We were the 6th best team against the pass and 3rd best for points allowed so I cant hang this loss on edge rushers, and considering Tennehill had 14 attempts another pass rusher wouldnt have done anything, put Ngakoue in our lineup and Henry probably rushes for 250. Now if youre saying we needed to set the edge then I agree with you and we need to move on from Judon, Ferg and Ward because they all got blown up last night.

Agree 100% about IOL and WR
Ferg was a rookie going against two of the better tackles in the league. He gets a pass imo. He's not the one talking about getting paid

Man I feel depressed as fuck. It’s clear I take football way too seriously, I feel empty. Losing a football game shouldn’t make a person feel like they have nothing... anyone have any advice on maybe rooting for your team like a normal person?
Yeah it’s tough. I mean clearly we all invest a lot of emotional capital in this team and so it’s impossible to completely dismiss such a devastating outcome. It causes me to step back a bit from being immersed in the fandom an take stock of the things that really matter in life and be thankful.

Example: we win and I’m locked in on today’s games. Right now I can’t fathom paying any attention to any of it. Instead I’m planning on watching a movie with my daughter. Hopefully you have friends and/or family in your life suggest putting the Ravens on the shelf for a bit and plan something fun with them.

BaltRavens

Practice Squad
My last comment about the 2019 Baltimore Ravens who were 14-2 choked in the playoffs. And, I'll be sad when the Super Bowl finishes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Call me blind, but I can’t put this loss on Jackson. Sure, he had some bad throws here and there but he was mostly solid and played spectacular at times. His receivers dropped balls, his OL let him down at times (interior at LG & C from initial impression & guess), and the defense just couldn’t get off the field.

It all boils down to what we knew were our problems this year: no pass rushing edge defender, lack of receiving weapons outside Brown, and weakness at the interior OL spot. I’ve been banging the table for a WR, Edge, IOL and I’ll continue to bang for these guys. I’m good with a RB as well but I think it’ll be hard. I’d even go ILB. Just take the best player regardless of position
Well people often put wins and losses on the QB. This was a TOTAL TEAM EPIC FAIL. Outside of who ... Tucker? Maybe Edwards (who I thought looked good but our coaches gave up on running the ball WAY too early)? Other than that THE ENTIRE TEAM let us down.

But make no mistake that includes Lamar. Yes his receivers let him down but he responded with frustration and panic rather than grabbing his guys and give them a slap to get their fucking head in the game.

He’s young and it showed. I had felt he was mature beyond his years but we were shown that’s not necessarily the case. He’s still got some growing to do.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Them going up by 2 TDS early really flipped the script and we just couldn’t flip it back. I hate to say it but many talking heads said we haven’t had to play from behind at all at that surely helped to cause the overall continuous collapse. They just weren’t playing loose, looked tight and afraid to lose.

As bad as we played you gotta hand it to the Titans to be able to put us in that position. Sure the first pick started the ball rolling, but the throw and catch on that first TD were pretty spectacular. Then the brilliant play call to smoke Marlon and go up by 14 was top notch.
I absolutely believe we would have tied or even won the game if it weren't for the drops. All of their points came off turnovers and a 4th and 1 stop.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Btw anyone hear from @Ellicottraven? Asking for a friend.
I'm grieving in solitary confinement. Leave me the fuck alone please. But, my Lamar Jackson adoration and belief that he'll win multiple championships before he hangs it up isn't going away. In fact I'm doubling down and saying he'll win more SBs than his idol Tom Brady. There you go! Makes me feel a little better.

The Last Great Raven

Practice Squad
Banned
My last comment about the 1919 Baltimore Ravens who were 14-2 choked in the playoffs. And, I'll be sad when the Super Bowl finishes.

You have a great Avatar. Did they Choke? They were home with the Bye teams like the Patriots have ridden time and again to the Superbowl. They were facing the number 6 seed. The Patriots were out of the picture. It was Raven Time!

The wind was up and Lomars ball was rarely if ever on target. His receivers were constantly adjusting for it once the Titans shut down the run, which they pretty much did until they went 4th quarter prevent.

It was Raven Time, but they were outcoached by one of our own and outplayed. The turnovers killed Raven Time and Lomar was involved in each of them.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
You have a great Avatar. Did they Choke? They were home with the Bye teams like the Patriots have ridden time and again to the Superbowl. They were facing the number 6 seed. The Patriots were out of the picture. It was Raven Time!

The wind was up and Lomars ball was rarely if ever on target. His receivers were constantly adjusting for it once the Titans shut down the run, which they pretty much did until they went 4th quarter prevent.

It was Raven Time, but they were outcoached by one of our own and outplayed. The turnovers killed Raven Time and Lomar was involved in each of them.
on purpose or not, please don't disrespect Lamar by spelling his name incorrectly.

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
I didn't sleep all night and had to binge watch a meaningless TV show till 4 AM to take my mind off. I woke up thinking of the damn game and after trying to do shit around the house ( to the shock of my wife) because I'm incorrigibly lazy and never do it unless she torments me, decided to get therapy by dealing with this loss like a man. To me it is checking stories on how we choked, how bad Lamar is, Ravens had it coming, etc., etc.

I totally get how you feel @JoeyFlex5 because I promise you I feel as bad or worse. Some close friends actually called me to offer their heartfelt condolences and I accepted them like I was fucking bereaved!!

Tank

Hall of Famer
I absolutely believe we would have tied or even won the game if it weren't for the drops. All of their points came off turnovers and a 4th and 1 stop.
eh, I think when you rewatch you’ll see there were a few drops, and there some dying ducks that were thrown. The wind obviously affected the flight of LJ’s passes, much more so than in the past for some reason. And for whatever reasons it just seemed the timing was off.

In reality we lost because we fell behind and never got in the rhythm that carried the team to 14 and 2. Momentum and rhythm is usually what makes a team go and last night we had neither.

Ferg was a rookie going against two of the better tackles in the league. He gets a pass imo. He's not the one talking about getting paid

Rookie ir not if youre starting you still have to be able to do the job or do one thing, setting the edge is supposed to be his strength but it hasnt been. The positive is that hes a rookie so hopefully he'll come in stronger next season.

The Last Great Raven

Practice Squad
Banned
What really hurts about this season was that our division was as weak as the AFC East the Patriots have ridden to 14-2 all these years. The Steelers were without Rothliesburger, Brown and Bell. The Bengals were in complete rebuild and the Browns were still the Browns.

We had blanked these same Titans last year, in Nashville, and they break into our fortress and steal our championship cheese. Somebody didn't do their job. This was suppose to be Raven Time and it wasn't. It was embarrassment time.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
What really hurts about this season was that our division was as weak as the AFC East the Patriots have ridden to 14-2 all these years. The Steelers were without Rothliesburger, Brown and Bell. The Bengals were in complete rebuild and the Browns were still the Browns.

We had blanked these same Titans last year, in Nashville, and they break into our fortress and steal our championship cheese. Somebody didn't do their job. This was suppose to be Raven Time and it wasn't. It was embarrassment time.
we also beat a lot of really good teams including the NFC West and the Steelers weren't a bad team. Yes they were without Ben but the defense was among the best in the league. Next year we get the NFC East and we need to take advantage of them. We had one of the toughest schedules based on SOS in the entire league. Don't knock the 14-2 record.

Also every year the Pats started off 8-0 or better they were playing the NFC East, so lets knock compare there schedule to what we had this year.