• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

McGregor vs Mayweather

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I enjoyed watching. Honestly- first boxing fight I ever watched- but that was a pretty cool thing to watch.
It reminded me why I find boxing boring compared to other combat sports... there's no sense of impact with the gloves on etc - it seems to me that if people are tuning in to see a bloody sport then there should be a sense of the impact of each strike + I hate the way boxing "purists" (read snobs) refuse to admit that there's a problem with their sport and that literally outside of maybe Anthony Joshua, there is no boxing match that anyone will actually actively call for

jboy19

Pro Bowler
It reminded me why I find boxing boring compared to other combat sports... there's no sense of impact with the gloves on etc - it seems to me that if people are tuning in to see a bloody sport then there should be a sense of the impact of each strike + I hate the way boxing "purists" (read snobs) refuse to admit that there's a problem with their sport and that literally outside of maybe Anthony Joshua, there is no boxing match that anyone will actually actively call for

I think that's harsh, but definitely fair. I was more captivated by the mental aspect (even if it's over-analyzation) than the actual physicality. Perhaps because I haven't really followed the sport. There were definitely moments, mostly early in the match, where I was thinking "Wait? Is that really all this is?" but I think as far as technical dynamics and stuff like that, it definitely seemed like it was an interesting fight.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
McGregor has always lacked stamina. It will always be his downfall, much like it was today and against diaz. His punching power is also overrated. Mayweather looked a shell of himself ( speed wise)

If Mcgregor faced triple G, he'd have had his face re-arranged.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Lol......who expected a different outcome? It was a boxing match and the boxer won. If Conor were a boxer he would be boxing. Safe to say though Maywether, or any other comparably weighted boxer wouldn't last more than a couple of rounds against McGregor in an MMA match. Didn't see it but it sounds like it was entertaining anyway.

I used to watch boxing when it was competitive, but that hasn't been the case for years. MMA isn't entertaining at all to me, just don't enjoy watching the all out gladiatorial battling. To each his own though.

Tank

Hall of Famer
I haven't been into boxing since Sugar Ray Leonard.

Yep. That was boxing that was fun to watch. The welterweight/middleweight divisions in that era were as competitive as it gets. Sugar Ray, Wilfredo Benitez, Tommy Hearns, Roberto Duran, Marvin Hagler, Hector Camacho, etc. Good stuff.

usmccharles

Practice Squad
Honestly i am surprised on how entertaining i found it and how well Connor held his own, for the most part. Now you can say that Floyd didnt take it seriously and didnt train really or whatnot, the fight is what it is. I expect Connor to fight his sparring partner next with Floyd promotions, cant remember the guys name.

One thing i found odd is i dont really recall Connor loading up with a left really, i expected a tad more haymakers rather than him trying to really stand up and be more technical-ish.

I read after the weigh-in Connor said he got up to up to 170ish which i think hurt his stamina.

Is it me or did Connor's corner not do shit to make adjustments or anything?

I have been getting into boxing a bit more than usual, if you want to see a interesting fighter look up Vasyl Lomachenko

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor

the problem with their sport is that their biggest name has retired. Either you are a freak (Tyson) and knock everybody out, OR everybody hates you (Floyd)

Boxing for a long time has not done a good job at promoting fights. They think because they are the biggest cash grabs that they do not really have to promote, and to an extent that is correct. The money boxers make is still WAY higher than UFC. Reference baseball, those players make more than all the other sports we think are more exciting.

Enter Floyd, he does ALL his own promoting and that persona of an arrogant cocky asshole has done NOTHING but wonders for him. People have paid big money for YEARS to watch him lose. Listen the crowds when he is fighting, they are all usually against him. That is what made Conor perfect for him, Conor was doing the work for him in terms of promoting.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
He would be immediately taken to the ground and choked out.

I love boxing, I do it myself. But in a straight street fight Floyd would get his ass kicked by Pacquio let alone Conor. That dude just takes advantage of the rules. Nothing more. I have no respect for him as a fighter.

LMAOOOOOO, this is why Floyd makes all the money he does.