• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

JAAM

Hall of Famer
It's interesting that we haven't had Harbaugh's end of season press conference yet - normally happens fairly quickly after the season ends

I know zrebiec said that Harbs had a personal day (or something) last week and they were doing their personnel meetings at the end of the week (like exit interviews etc.) but it's odd that we still haven't even got word of when the end of season presser is going to happen yet
I know you said that if Roman wasn’t fired at least by the end of this week, you’re confident he stays. Is that still the case?

JO_75

Hall of Famer
I know you said that if Roman wasn’t fired at least by the end of this week, you’re confident he stays. Is that still the case?

Not saying it couldn't be Friday but if we were looking from outside the organization, we would have let him go by now in order to start interviews. If they decide to fire him this weekend then it's definitely an internal promotion be it Urban or Martin.

Michael M.

Pro Bowler
Not saying it couldn't be Friday but if we were looking from outside the organization, we would have let him go by now in order to start interviews. If they decide to fire him this weekend then it's definitely an internal promotion be it Urban or Martin.
My vote would be for Martin....and also getting a different conditioning coach.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

im pretty confident that he's staying at this point though with the summit happening this weekend it's possible that a move could come once that finishes

i think it's a good sign for Roman that he was involved in all the personnel meetings and exit interviews like he normally would be last week

there's a chance though that when they look forwards at the free agent targets, the contracts they want to focus on and the general plan for 2022 they may find that they want to change the offence philosophically - that would at this point be the only way i think roman's not back... if the leadership decides that as part of the roster and team construction this year they want to change some things then that would be when they might think about moving on from Roman

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i mean idk that that's 100% true - none of the new HC's have been hired yet which means that the coordinator market's not really been impacted yet at all - the only team really attacking that spot so far is the panthers and they've been turned down a bunch lol

so i wouldnt say there's any reason it would have to be internal still if they were to move on from Roman at this point - the external candidate pool hasnt shrunk at all yet

rossihunter2

Staff Member
My vote would be for Martin....and also getting a different conditioning coach.

we didnt have any conditioning issues though...

only changes for 2022 with the medical/training staff and/or the strength + conditioning coaching staff is that the ravens are looking for some interns on the medical/training staff - quite possibly because they need more bodies there to help with the rehab process of the 20 million players who are returning from injury

or more likely it's just something they do every year

im pretty confident that he's staying at this point though with the summit happening this weekend it's possible that a move could come once that finishes

i think it's a good sign for Roman that he was involved in all the personnel meetings and exit interviews like he normally would be last week

there's a chance though that when they look forwards at the free agent targets, the contracts they want to focus on and the general plan for 2022 they may find that they want to change the offence philosophically - that would at this point be the only way i think roman's not back... if the leadership decides that as part of the roster and team construction this year they want to change some things then that would be when they might think about moving on from Roman
Just curious, who attends this meeting of the minds in Florida? Do coordinators attend, or is it just Harbs and upper brass?

I agree that Roman will stay unless there is a philosophical change of direction for the offense.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Yup, we know harbaugh is gonna wanna keep Roman, unfortunately, but the front office will likely have the ultimate say, if Eric for instance sees a draft/FA class where he thinks we are a guy or two away from being a legitimate 11 personnel type of offense, where we really spread teams out and attack every square foot of the field, then he may interject and say hey we need to promote a guy Lamar has rapport with and a guy that will build an offense that is both Lamar-centric but also beneficial to him in his development and ease of his job. This offense is Lamar centric but it asks him to play hero ball with no protection, it asks he and his receivers to all be on some telepathic shit and improvise and know where the other is gonna go, and the route concepts are just too ugly too often and it seems like he’s making the jobs of everyone in the pass game more difficult.

idk if urban could be the guy, but he’s been excellent for Lamar and it’s just about his ability with the Xs and Os, outside of that It would obviously be either Martin or dub, but I like dub too much as the wrs coach to take him out of that job.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Just curious, who attends this meeting of the minds in Florida? Do coordinators attend, or is it just Harbs and upper brass?

I agree that Roman will stay unless there is a philosophical change of direction for the offense.

as far as im aware it's normally just the top top brass who go down to jupiter - pretty sure that bisciotti's not even there most years - harbs, ozzie, edc and dick cass - not sure if anyone else goes
it's possible that pat moriarty, joe hortiz, george kokinis, nick matteo go to these things too
im pretty sure it's only harbs who goes from the coaching side of things

but i know that back in 2016 it was just these 4 - harbs, ozzie, edc and dick cass

This is normally what they do down there:
"They break down the roster and the salary cap, and establish a framework of how they will handle offseason business."

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yup, we know harbaugh is gonna wanna keep Roman, unfortunately, but the front office will likely have the ultimate say, if Eric for instance sees a draft/FA class where he thinks we are a guy or two away from being a legitimate 11 personnel type of offense, where we really spread teams out and attack every square foot of the field, then he may interject and say hey we need to promote a guy Lamar has rapport with and a guy that will build an offense that is both Lamar-centric but also beneficial to him in his development and ease of his job. This offense is Lamar centric but it asks him to play hero ball with no protection, it asks he and his receivers to all be on some telepathic shit and improvise and know where the other is gonna go, and the route concepts are just too ugly too often and it seems like he’s making the jobs of everyone in the pass game more difficult.

idk if urban could be the guy, but he’s been excellent for Lamar and it’s just about his ability with the Xs and Os, outside of that It would obviously be either Martin or dub, but I like dub too much as the wrs coach to take him out of that job.

i think that acquisition and philosophical strategy may largely be dictated by how they plan the offseason this weekend especially when it comes to personnel - they have to make a decision on pat ricard and whether he's a luxury or a necessity at this point and if they think he's a luxury then that's probably sign that the offence itself will (or should) be changing

this weekend for them is all about working out what their plans are for the roster given the salary cap and the draft picks and the roster as it stands - those conversations will dictate the direction of the team in 2022

in terms of internal guys to promote to OC it feels like it would be either Urban or Tee - I don't think Dubb has any playcalling experience although tbf neither does Urban - Tee's the only guy on the offensive staff who's been an OC before I think

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Harbs and upper brass

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

I've always been a fan of Urban as the air apparent if we were to go within the organization. That way we keep some of Roman's running scheme while also adding in more spread concepts. Urban was the WR's coach in Cincinnati before we poached him. He hasn't ever called any plays, but that doesn't mean he can't. He turned down an interview for OC in Philly after the 2019 season.

Michael M.

Pro Bowler
we didnt have any conditioning issues though...

only changes for 2022 with the medical/training staff and/or the strength + conditioning coaching staff is that the ravens are looking for some interns on the medical/training staff - quite possibly because they need more bodies there to help with the rehab process of the 20 million players who are returning from

I can't believe all these injuries are a fluke. Could they possibly be over conditioning resulting in muscle fatigue? That's why I say that.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I can't believe all these injuries are a fluke. Could they possibly be over conditioning resulting in muscle fatigue? That's why I say that.

the vast majority of them came either in non-contact situations (i.e. flukes), rolled-up-on situations (i.e. flukes) or some contact based injuries (bad luck) - the only injuries you could really put poor conditioning type tags on would be watkins but he's been injury prone his whole career, and what happened with bateman in the offseason before he required surgery

i guess hollywood struggled with an injury at one point in the season too and villanueva wasnt really healthy down the stretch at all but didnt miss a game