• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yea he def did thats why im surprised.. wouldve never guessed it was 128

because it's a stat without context - it's really high because they've attributed him with a high completion percentage (which makes some sense given how high was playing in coverage) and 3 TDs although i cant remember them

but most importantly of all it's a stat about when targeted - which completely ignores the fact that when you cover well you're not normally targeted

it's a stat that only really has any use as part of a larger context - using it as a sole evaluation of a DB (especially a safety) is utterly useless lol

for context on the stat itself in 2021 - jessie bates is currently one of the best free safeties in the game - he had a 122 this year and was only a few spots ahead of stephens by that same metric...

so this is very much a case of trust your eyes over 1 stat - now if we were talking about a whole bunch of stats that together painted a picture of him sucking then that would be different but all this tells us is that of the times he was targeted about 3/4 of them were completed for just under 10 yards per target and he was in coverage for 3 tds... that's basically all that stat means

it means that he gave up 31 completions on 744 snaps - i dont have the exact run-pass breakdown of his individual snaps but the ravens opponents over the whole season in 2021 roughly passed 2/3 of the time

so we can assume that we're looking at at least 400 and likely closer to 500 snaps for brandon stephens vs the pass and he gave up 31 completions which when put in that context is not a lot at all

i know he plays corner but for additional perspective - averett had 56 completions on about 800 snaps

so in this instance - if this one stat doesnt jive with what you're seeing then feel free to disregard it

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i hope we dont - i hope there's someone higher on our board

i dont think linderbaum's a great fit and i think as athletic as he is he's got some limitations that make me struggle to see him as this generational centre talent

if we were more of an outside zone team then he's about as perfect a prospect as you could ask - and if we do draft him then there's a lot of things to love about him but i dont know that the fit's great here

he's a 1st round talent for sure and if i was scouting for every team then he'd probably end up higher on my board than when i put the board together for the ravens

i will not be mad at all about linderbaum if he's the pick - just think there will be better fits
I just don’t see the same limitations you do. His anchor isn’t stellar but I also don’t think he’s maxed out, most committed players pack on quality weight in their first 2-3 years in the league and that’s about all there is with linderbaum, he has the leverage aspect down, he can shift his weight and reset his feet and stymie a rusher with his hands as well as anyone, it’s entirely a matter of him adding 10 lbs or so to just hunker down a bit better and make him heavier obstacle to move, and to get a little more drive behind his blocks. Our ability to get to the second level and block in space and combo block is garbage right now, that is what made our line so excellent in years past, that is what made our line dog shit in the run game this year, linderbaum would give a HUGE boost to our ability to spring runs past the second level.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I just don’t see the same limitations you do. His anchor isn’t stellar but I also don’t think he’s maxed out, most committed players pack on quality weight in their first 2-3 years in the league and that’s about all there is with linderbaum, he has the leverage aspect down, he can shift his weight and reset his feet and stymie a rusher with his hands as well as anyone, it’s entirely a matter of him adding 10 lbs or so to just hunker down a bit better and make him heavier obstacle to move, and to get a little more drive behind his blocks. Our ability to get to the second level and block in space and combo block is garbage right now, that is what made our line so excellent in years past, that is what made our line dog shit in the run game this year, linderbaum would give a HUGE boost to our ability to spring runs past the second level.

i dont think there's that much room on his frame to add weight - he was at iowa which is notorious for maxing out OL prospects and at least until 2021 was renowned for having one of the best strength and conditioning programs in the US

i also dont have a problem with his anchor per se - i have a small problem with his ability to drop his anchor when faced with bigger guys with length who can get into him which is fine because it's rare that happens and he's good with his hands so it's tough for guys to get into him - that's all gravy - i think he's an excellent pass protector

i would like to see him be more independent with his hands - part of the reason some guys can get into him is because he strikes with 2 hands a lot which while effective, reduces your margin for error and makes you more predictable - that's something technical that's definitely fixable but just a small concern

what i struggle with is his inability to generate enough power to drive block in the running game - he's awesome in space, he's excellent executing all the required blocks you ask for in zone schemes - in simple terms he's really good generating movement horizontally but not so good generating movement vertically downhill which makes him a tough sell schematically in a mostly power and gap scheme - we run some zone but not a ton

as i said though - im not saying he's not a 1st rounder and if we took him at 14 id still be excited about him because his athleticism and mobility at that position is generational (in nfl terms) - just think he's not quite the no brainer for the ravens that its been suggested he would be and that he'll most likely be higher on other teams's boards who run wide zone type stuff

i imagine if we pass on him at 14 that he's 100% going to be an eagle given they've got the 15th, 16th and 19th picks and jason kelce might be retiring

but just looking at the draft order ahead of us - there are 6 picks in a row that all run a lot of outside zone (or similar) concepts and the 2 picks after us also - just feels like he's more valuable in those spots

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
i dont think there's that much room on his frame to add weight - he was at iowa which is notorious for maxing out OL prospects and at least until 2021 was renowned for having one of the best strength and conditioning programs in the US

i also dont have a problem with his anchor per se - i have a small problem with his ability to drop his anchor when faced with bigger guys with length who can get into him which is fine because it's rare that happens and he's good with his hands so it's tough for guys to get into him - that's all gravy - i think he's an excellent pass protector

i would like to see him be more independent with his hands - part of the reason some guys can get into him is because he strikes with 2 hands a lot which while effective, reduces your margin for error and makes you more predictable - that's something technical that's definitely fixable but just a small concern

what i struggle with is his inability to generate enough power to drive block in the running game - he's awesome in space, he's excellent executing all the required blocks you ask for in zone schemes - in simple terms he's really good generating movement horizontally but not so good generating movement vertically downhill which makes him a tough sell schematically in a mostly power and gap scheme - we run some zone but not a ton

as i said though - im not saying he's not a 1st rounder and if we took him at 14 id still be excited about him because his athleticism and mobility at that position is generational (in nfl terms) - just think he's not quite the no brainer for the ravens that its been suggested he would be and that he'll most likely be higher on other teams's boards who run wide zone type stuff

i imagine if we pass on him at 14 that he's 100% going to be an eagle given they've got the 15th, 16th and 19th picks and jason kelce might be retiring

but just looking at the draft order ahead of us - there are 6 picks in a row that all run a lot of outside zone (or similar) concepts and the 2 picks after us also - just feels like he's more valuable in those spots
No doubt, if we still had Kubiak or something or Shanahan or even if Roman used a heavy amount of zone like you said it would be great to have him here. I do question his fit, but I also love me some Iowa OL. Iowa and Notre Dame have some great OL programs IMHO.

Reactions: cdp

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Interesting! I’m curious if we’ll try and sign someone like Jensen which could push Linderbaum further down the board. I’ve watched him, Sauce, and Ekwonu so far. Would you take Sauce over Linderbaum?

I don’t think Jensen leaves Tampa if Brady stays. They are very much bros

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tank

Hall of Famer
I luv this…… 9 years ago today. One of the most enjoyable games ever.

upload_2022-1-21_18-5-14.jpeg

Last edited:

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Here's a random thought-

You can often instantly know who liked a post without checking based on what was said. It also helps you know who shares equally bad takes.

Corvus Purpura

Practice Squad
I still think if everything went right and we win the Super Bowl in 2011 we don't win in 2012.

I completely agree. We weren't going to repeat if we had won in 2011. Then we wouldn't have replaced Cundiff with Tucker. We would have lost plenty of games in the interim that we won with the points Tucker brings that no one else could. (And the Ravens are simply more fun with him on the team.) That heartbreaking loss made the Super Bowl win even sweeter, though I could have done without that part.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
In the latest smug Burrow comments he has declared that no one has beaten them this year, they beat themselves and that’s the only way they lose

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I completely agree. We weren't going to repeat if we had won in 2011. Then we wouldn't have replaced Cundiff with Tucker. We would have lost plenty of games in the interim that we won with the points Tucker brings that no one else could. (And the Ravens are simply more fun with him on the team.) That heartbreaking loss made the Super Bowl win even sweeter, though I could have done without that part.
you mean the Redskins wouldn't have ended up with Cundiff in the first few games of 2012. lol.

Nurps

Ravens Ring of Honor

Yeah, that loss sucked big time but then you had Rays post game speech and we went on that insane run the next year. The letdown led to a much greater feeling of elation and joy the next year. Couldnt have had one without the other.....

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
In the latest smug Burrow comments he has declared that no one has beaten them this year, they beat themselves and that’s the only way they lose
I'm totally convinced now that if the Bengals win today, they're winning it all for one reason and one reason only: you. This is about to be your worst nightmare.