• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The cover 0 stuff I think has more to do with OL play than Roman. Feel like the year before and 19 were fine against it.

like many things it's a bit more complex - a better OL in and of itself doesnt solve cover 0 because the very nature of cover 0 means that someone's coming free unblocked (unless someone manages to block 2 defenders at once) - that being said it becomes far easier for a QB to read and react vs cover 0 when they trust the OL and their ability to make the right calls and reads in protection so that only 1 defender comes free and that they come free from the expected spot - that's partly why Lamar was so good in 2019 because we'd put him in an empty backfield and spread the defence so that it becomes less crowded in the tackle box and easier to read the blitzers and then he trusted the OL to pick up everyone and leave just 1 unblocked defender blitzing off the edge to him

now lamar has to do better actually reading and dealing with those blitzers coming free - in 2019 he was able to deal with them in all sorts of ways but in 2021 he struggled to read the field - what's more is because a lot of it in 2021 was happening on 3rd down, lamar was reticent to throw underneath to the hot read because they'd be short of the sticks - 2 easy ways to get lamar more confident in taking those hot reads is to put guys in the slot in those blitz situations who you trust to make a guy miss in space or break a tackle and get upfield or it means getting chemistry with bateman (or someone else) on the outside who you know inherently has a 1v1 matchup and you throw the backshoulder on a vertical route to him - you can also run a vertical route (preferably a seam or a post) out of the slot where they have a natural 2-way go and you've got middle-field open because both safeties are either blitzing or in man coverage

that's where the play designing comes in and that's where general coaching comes in and that's where chemistry and communication are super important also - lamar and his receivers when they see those pressure looks have to understand when to adjust their route vs the blitz - communicating which guys blitzing trigger those hot calls and adjustments

ill put it this way - lamar looked a bit flummoxed in the dolphins game (and the few others before his injury) - a better OL massively reduces the level of difficulty for him but he still has to be better - and obviously a better plan than simply running quick slants for 6 yards on 3rd and 10 from the coordinators - and we need to put receivers in good positions to make those plays

ultimately as with everything, execution is more important than scheme and design albeit those are still important

redrum52

Hall of Famer
like many things it's a bit more complex - a better OL in and of itself doesnt solve cover 0 because the very nature of cover 0 means that someone's coming free unblocked (unless someone manages to block 2 defenders at once) - that being said it becomes far easier for a QB to read and react vs cover 0 when they trust the OL and their ability to make the right calls and reads in protection so that only 1 defender comes free and that they come free from the expected spot - that's partly why Lamar was so good in 2019 because we'd put him in an empty backfield and spread the defence so that it becomes less crowded in the tackle box and easier to read the blitzers and then he trusted the OL to pick up everyone and leave just 1 unblocked defender blitzing off the edge to him

now lamar has to do better actually reading and dealing with those blitzers coming free - in 2019 he was able to deal with them in all sorts of ways but in 2021 he struggled to read the field - what's more is because a lot of it in 2021 was happening on 3rd down, lamar was reticent to throw underneath to the hot read because they'd be short of the sticks - 2 easy ways to get lamar more confident in taking those hot reads is to put guys in the slot in those blitz situations who you trust to make a guy miss in space or break a tackle and get upfield or it means getting chemistry with bateman (or someone else) on the outside who you know inherently has a 1v1 matchup and you throw the backshoulder on a vertical route to him - you can also run a vertical route (preferably a seam or a post) out of the slot where they have a natural 2-way go and you've got middle-field open because both safeties are either blitzing or in man coverage

that's where the play designing comes in and that's where general coaching comes in and that's where chemistry and communication are super important also - lamar and his receivers when they see those pressure looks have to understand when to adjust their route vs the blitz - communicating which guys blitzing trigger those hot calls and adjustments

ill put it this way - lamar looked a bit flummoxed in the dolphins game (and the few others before his injury) - a better OL massively reduces the level of difficulty for him but he still has to be better - and obviously a better plan than simply running quick slants for 6 yards on 3rd and 10 from the coordinators - and we need to put receivers in good positions to make those plays

ultimately as with everything, execution is more important than scheme and design albeit those are still important

Lamar was definitely part of the problem. At this point of the season, you could tell he didn't trust the line. Again. I'll shoot Roman bail here and say there are plenty of clips of wrs running open. I just think a change needs to be made.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I want Roman gone bad but this is 100% truth. Before the season starts Roman loses top 2 backs. First game loses starting LT. Sometime early I'm pretty sure Mekari gets hurt for an OL that wa already questionable.

From a FO standpoint as well it has to irk you to see these edge players leave and instantly have more success. The guys up front I see benefiting a lot from this (Justin, Oweh and Bowser). When that starts I believe we see more takeaways as well.

And no I don't believe Payton will come here but I can dream. @gtalk12 if that somehow happened I'd be fine when we had to replace both the following season.

I was joking about both of them coming lol

It isn't realistic.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
supply and demand issues will only see it go up. I've been investing in BTC for a few years now and have a cousin who has been investing for 10 years. You are going to have these ups and downs in crypto as it's a very volatile asset but the more and more mainstream it becomes with more and more companies taking into their books, it will go up in price.

I tend to buy BTC and ETH twice a month and I wouldn't be surprised if the market cap of ETH pases BTC at some point this year. I'm talking market cap, not price and I could see ETH at around 10k by the end of the summer.

I don't worry about the price of BTC and ETH. I'm only buying them and currently not selling them. I take this as an opportunity to buy more at a fantastic price. I feel the same way about stocks that are down right now. Millionaires are made when the stocks are down like this as long as they buy these huge dips. That's how millionaires are made.

FYI, I am a Fiduciary Investment Advisor
All in on TQQQ!

UPennChem

Hall of Famer

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220125-201659_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220125-201659_Facebook.jpg
    551.8 KB · Views: 97

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well you certainly don't have to. People won't take you seriously if you don't, but you gotta be you.

How about the guy who owns the local tire shop on Eutaw Street? He follows the Ravens on Twitter and he drew up plays in Madden. He'd be a good choice I'm sure...

You all good? You don’t normally get that agitated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Ryan mink said on 105.7 this morning that the ravens are gonna be dropping some news today, couldnt hint to what it was but he implied it wasn’t little

It’s crazy to hear some became fans after me. I was 2002. I remember Boller getting drafted and thinking he would be good…..

i was also 10 lol
The Boller pick in that draft was probably the worst in franchise history.
@OURavensFan

Jesus walks on water, Joe burrow swims through land

Joe burrow can eat a rubix cube and shit it out solved

joe burrow lost his virginity before his dad did
He da bomb!