• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
This is like the second time this happened in the past couple years. We getting gifts from the Schedule.

Well they're not really gifts. Max we would get is one road international game, which isn't that big of a deal anyway.
Since we play AFC East and NFC South this year, its limited travel.
Realistically, any games against AFC East, NFC East, AFC South, or NFC South, are going to be light travel games. Farthest you'd ever have to go is like Houston. The overwhelming majority of those teams are in the Eastern time zone.

Only years you'll ever have substantial long distance travel is playing NFC or AFC West.

We'll be playing west divisions the next two seasons in 2023 and 2024, so will have more travel. Once every 12 years, we will play both West divisions in the same season.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Watching that highlight video and all I can think is why would Hollywood want out? He was balling the first half of year only thing holding him back was himself and injuries to Lamar

Cause his little ass is sick of blocking. Honestly, I get it. He's not going to get the numbers here as he will in AZ and he gets to be the #1 with D Hop out. He'll play in an air raid his contract year and will likely earn a huge payday. Wish him the best. He could have gone about this much differently, but because of his professionalism, we were able to recoup a 1st.

Cause his little ass is sick of blocking. Honestly, I get it. He's not going to get the numbers here as he will in AZ and he gets to be the #1 with D Hop out. He'll play in an air raid his contract year and will likely earn a huge payday. Wish him the best. He could have gone about this much differently, but because of his professionalism, we were able to recoup a 1st.

I’m not sure I believe his numbers will be substantially higher than what they could have been here with a healthy Lamar. Dude was 9th in the league in targets last year! I don’t think they will be that high in Arizona but maybe he capitalizes on a lower target share. Either way I’m glad we were able to get good value out of the trade at least.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I’m not sure I believe his numbers will be substantially higher than what they could have been here with a healthy Lamar. Dude was 9th in the league in targets last year! I don’t think they will be that high in Arizona but maybe he capitalizes on a lower target share. Either way I’m glad we were able to get good value out of the trade at least.

before the miami game, hollywood was in the top 10 in yards and receptions...

i get it... the last 5 games sucked in 2021 and the passing offence was horrendous at the end of 2020 after the OL injuries but seems like a knee-jerk reaction from him

but i wish him well and im glad we got value for him

rossihunter2

Staff Member
i guess the rationale behind going to AZ other than getting to play with his other best buddy is...
Christian Kirk just came out of that offence as a number 2 and got 18m/yr, hollywood's way better than christian kirk so maybe thinks that after a year with the cardinals he can get 20m+

UPennChem

Hall of Famer

i get it... the last 5 games sucked in 2021 and the passing offence was horrendous at the end of 2020 after the OL injuries but seems like a knee-jerk reaction from him

You see its not about the stats themselves I think. If you really listen to what he said he said 2 things.

1 he didn't feel heard. And when he would bring things up APPARENTLY it would get turned back on him as selfish when from his perspective, he was just trying to help.

2 He felt like he was the only guy that showed up in the playoffs. Like Hollywood wants to win. He doesn't think the system can actually win. Basically connected to point 1, we run a bad system that can't win playoff games so we get behind, start passing more, Hollywood is the only guy open so he pops off in the playoffs to make the games at least close and we still lose. Then he says to himself I told you GRo.

Ultimately with Hollywood I think it has not much to do with the stats but not feeling heard and feeling villainized when he thinks the data is on his side

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
You see its not about the stats themselves I think. If you really listen to what he said he said 2 things.

1 he didn't feel heard. And when he would bring things up APPARENTLY it would get turned back on him as selfish when from his perspective, he was just trying to help.

2 He felt like he was the only guy that showed up in the playoffs. Like Hollywood wants to win. He doesn't think the system can actually win. Basically connected to point 1, we run a bad system that can't win playoff games so we get behind, start passing more, Hollywood is the only guy open so he pops off in the playoffs to make the games at least close and we still lose. Then he says to himself I told you GRo.

Ultimately with Hollywood I think it has not much to do with the stats but not feeling heard and feeling villainized when he thinks the data is on his side
This is exactly what I think.

That said, I think the OL and the ability to run the ball are much more of a requirement for this offense to succeed than what Hollywood was likely suggesting. Hollywood may have been right in 2021, but I don’t think he would’ve been right in 2020 or 2019. The run game was still op in 2020 and he was already airing out public grievances.

Not that I’m saying one side is right or wrong. I don’t think Hollywood is selfish at all, and I think Roman’s biggest issue is more situational than anything. A lot of the problems seem to be stemming from the poor OL performances and injuries.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
This is exactly what I think.

That said, I think the OL and the ability to run the ball are much more of a requirement for this offense to succeed than what Hollywood was likely suggesting. Hollywood may have been right in 2021, but I don’t think he would’ve been right in 2020 or 2019. The run game was still op in 2020 and he was already airing out public grievances.

Not that I’m saying one side is right or wrong. I don’t think Hollywood is selfish at all, and I think Roman’s biggest issue is more situational than anything. A lot of the problems seem to be stemming from the poor OL performances and injuries.
Yeah both sides are right and wrong.

GRo has the responsibility of an entrie offense. And he's gotta tailor to the guys he has. Sometimes that means not being as traditional at the receiver position as WR may like.

Hollywood is just a talented guy in a WR room. He has to focus on helping the team win. He may know how to help get more out of the WRs, but ultimately GRo has to take that feedback and determine if and how he wants to incorporate it.

Ultimately though, what Marquise would want and what the Ravens want to do are probably always gonna be somewhat incongruent. I think Marquises issue which ultimately led to the souring of the relationship is that I think he sees the playoff data as he is the one who's right in this situation.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I want to see success in the playoffs. The offense stalls when we get there. A case could be made for most of the losses but his offense hasn't produced in the post season.

so what went wrong with the passing offence in the playoffs then?
someone's gonna have to explain in specifics...

ignoring 2018 because we didnt have a passing offence at all

2019 receiver drops in big spots, a couple of missed 4th down conversions and lamar making a couple of crucial mistakes - but that offence still put up over 500yds... 345 yds of which were through the air

2020 the weather prevented both teams from passing in that bills game and the OL buckled in the same way it had the whole end of that season... and we won the titans game

so what specifically about the playoffs is it that was making the offence not work?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

yep, a big reason we had less downfield passing game the past couple seasons was due to the offensive line injuries and we were passing the ball downfield plenty up until the Dolphin game. In the end we will probably win this trade as we weren't going to pay him anyways and Linderbaum will probably end up being the best center we have had in over a decade and could end up being the best, but that remains to be seen.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Both Dareus and Allison. Lol. We down bad man
I don't mind Dareus and at this point we're looking for anyone who doesn't feel like a hostage at wr.
so what went wrong with the passing offence in the playoffs then?
someone's gonna have to explain in specifics...

ignoring 2018 because we didnt have a passing offence at all

2019 receiver drops in big spots, a couple of missed 4th down conversions and lamar making a couple of crucial mistakes - but that offence still put up over 500yds... 345 yds of which were through the air

2020 the weather prevented both teams from passing in that bills game and the OL buckled in the same way it had the whole end of that season... and we won the titans game

so what specifically about the playoffs is it that was making the offence not work?

2 separate things said. One was I want to see the passing work in the playoffs. The direct quote was about his offense in general. The 2019 Titans game was empty yards that resulted in all of 12 points I think. I won't blame the rookie playoff game on Roman. Teams seem to figure out or run game. Maybe that's OL maybe it's scheme but we also couldn't move the ball for shit against the Titans on the ground. The 2nd time we played the Titans I could easily make a case that was just a great defensive performance. There's no specific game I can say oh yeah, we were in a rhythm. In none of these playoff games can we say the offense carried their weight either.

You're not changing my mind He's a bum in my eyes until he proves me wrong.

Last edited: