• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
i dont know that i agree with that at all - feels like what you're talking about here is contested catches where the defence can key on him and get close in coverage - the problem is, in the playoffs, teams have not actually been able to contain hollywood for whole games

hollywood played his best football in the playoffs - had that outrageous catch against the Titans in his first playoff game, absolutely dusted tredavious white in the bills game a couple of times... just didnt get the ball
His stats are more impressive in the playoffs then I would have guessed. But I think what it is to me is that he was always a 1b in my eyes, never someone who was going to take over a game or yes make a boldin catch. I think with our lack of success in the playoffs you have to tinker stuff and paying him 1A money isn’t gonna help

The uregency is hitting me hard to win now because if we can’t win with this roster, it’ll be a lot harder to win with a 300 mil qb on the cap

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
His stats are more impressive in the playoffs then I would have guessed. But I think what it is to me is that he was always a 1b in my eyes, never someone who was going to take over a game or yes make a boldin catch. I think with our lack of success in the playoffs you have to tinker stuff and paying him 1A money isn’t gonna help

The uregency is hitting me hard to win now because if we can’t win with this roster, it’ll be a lot harder to win with a 300 mil qb on the cap
Just depends on the structure of the deal and when Lamar signs it. If he's going to play the franchise tag game for the next two years, then yes, it'll be a lot harder to win. Hopefully he knows that. If he wants a solid Oline in front of him and a highly paid, veteran WR, then the franchise tag will likely kill that possibility beyond maybe 1-2 years.

We sign Lamar to extension before FA next year, and you've got a 1-2 year window where his cap hit will be low enough AND you don't have a ton of contracts coming up internally to pay that you can really do some damage in FA.

Michael M.

Pro Bowler
Yeah it has nothing to do with the offensive scheme in the sense that we're prioritizing TE over WR. We know by now how this team approaches the draft. It was BPA and they weren't going to reach for a guy they didn't deem worthy. Not even sure who you see in round 3 that was worth trading up for.
Agree. Maybe they didn't feel there was anyone better to draft than the WR'S we already have

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Deebo is an excellent route runner, and has been since college, duvernay isn’t comparable.

And at face value it might look like an endorsement of the Roman style of offense, but I think it’s more indicative of just not landing a WR they liked. If the Steelers don’t take Calvin Austin 1 pick ahead of us, do we still feel this way? I don’t doubt we’re gonna be extremely frustrated with Roman at times but I wouldn’t like our fourth round to that. We’re just taking what’s on the board
Yeah it has nothing to do with the offensive scheme in the sense that we're prioritizing TE over WR. We know by now how this team approaches the draft. It was BPA and they weren't going to reach for a guy they didn't deem worthy. Not even sure who you see in round 3 that was worth trading up for.
So I agree with this, but a couple things I'd point out:
1. It's never really, truly, "BPA". It's always BPA at a position of need. If you read Peter King's article, he even acknowledges that we had QBs rated higher on our board than the guy we took, because we just didn't want to take a QB. We've always known that we don't just blindly pick players, regardless of position, on our board.
2. The biggest "fail" I'd say is that, OK, lets see you like Austin a lot, and he's the only WR you basically have left on your board you like. Why are you waiting for him to fall? It's not like this is a first round pick that you have to use future quality picks to get. He's a 4th round pick. Did the Ravens have the ammo to move up in the fourth round to get him? Of course they did. They even acknowledged they had more ammo than they ever planned on using.
If a player is there that you like, that fills a position of need, and its reasonable to go get him, then go get him. You don't have to try outsmart the room.
Nobody gives a shit about "value" on day 3. Who cares if somebody you've got a 6th round grade on goes in the 5th round? If Austin is the 115th best player on your board, and you have to move up to 105 to get him, who gives a shit?

This tells me that either a) they didn't really like the guy or b) they're being far too conservative in the draft when it comes to just arbitrarily ranking a board and not moving off of it.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
As excited as one can be playing the panthers with shit goal tending. Between my ravens, caps, Orioles and cavs, I haven’t got to see a lot of playoff wins these last few years lol
Panthers are an incredible offense, but im not sure they match up physically with the caps. I can see the series being closer than some think.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
The International Games get announced tomorrow...... some Saints beat reporters are hinting at Saints and Vikings playing in London Week 4. That means our game against the Saints is going to remain in New Orleans. The Bucs are hosting the first game in Germany this season and that still worries me that will be our game due to Lamar vs Brady.

Simba

Staff Member
The International Games get announced tomorrow...... some Saints beat reporters are hinting at Saints and Vikings playing in London Week 4. That means our game against the Saints is going to remain in New Orleans. The Bucs are hosting the first game in Germany this season and that still worries me that will be our game due to Lamar vs Brady.
Germany is supposedly going to be the Bucs vs. the Chiefs

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Germany is supposedly going to be the Bucs vs. the Chiefs

Looks like Bucs vs Seahawks according to this tweet. Though I'd imagine changing to Chiefs/Bucs would be a better option as nobody wants to see Brady vs Drew Lock/Geno Smith. So looks like The Flock is invading Tampa this fall....

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Looks like Bucs vs Seahawks according to this tweet. Though I'd imagine changing to Chiefs/Bucs would be a better option as nobody wants to see Brady vs Drew Lock/Geno Smith. So looks like The Flock is invading Tampa this fall....

That's a friggin long plane ride and longer for the Seattle Seahawks

Last edited:

JO_75

Hall of Famer
7 AM on GMFB is when they are announcing the full international game schedule. So that still means we could play in London against Jacksonville. I just want the full schedule released, I'm excited to find out when everyone is playing.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
7 AM on GMFB is when they are announcing the full international game schedule. So that still means we could play in London against Jacksonville. I just want the full schedule released, I'm excited to find out when everyone is playing.
if we play Jacksonville in London, we need to give it right back to them and this time we have Campbell on our side.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
No international game for the Ravens in 2022. The list of games is as follows..

Oct 2nd: Vikings vs Saints - London
Oct 9th: Giants vs Packers - London
Oct 30th: Broncos vs Jags - London (ESPN+ Only)
Nov 13th: Seahawks vs Bucs - Germany
Nov 21st: 49ers vs Cardinals- Mexico (MNF)

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
IMG_1580.jpg

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Caps fate lies with Vanacek/Samsonov.
Panthers style of play works well for the regular season. Not a great fit for the playoffs. Took the caps forever to figure this out with all their finesse teams over the years.