• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

JAAM

Hall of Famer

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
i think important to remember that when he comes back he's going to take some time to get acclimated - he'll have had no offseason and will have never played at an NFL speed before - even when he's finally cleared, it'll most likely be multiple weeks before he's ready to go

and if we're doing fine already, we should make sure we take our time bringing him back - id rather have him ready to go in december/january than have him in early november and not be ready

when he gets up to speed he's likely going to be used situationally in year 1
I agree with you but one counter argument to play devils advocate here is don’t forget both Ojabo & our DC know each other. Could be beneficial as well from that front of us.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I agree with you but one counter argument to play devils advocate here is don’t forget both Ojabo & our DC know each other. Could be beneficial as well from that front of us.

Sure, that will certainly help him - but he won’t have even practiced against nfl speed yet

And I’m more worried about him anchoring down on a recently healed achilles in the run game straight away - as a pass rusher he gets to attack and doesn’t get loaded up in the same way - albeit outside rushes will really test that healed ankle and what flexion he has

I’m not really worried about the playbook... especially as he’s got not much else to do over the next few months other than rehab and diving into the playbook lol

I’m worried about his ankle flexion if he gets loaded up too early

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Sure, that will certainly help him - but he won’t have even practiced against nfl speed yet

And I’m more worried about him anchoring down on a recently healed achilles in the run game straight away - as a pass rusher he gets to attack and doesn’t get loaded up in the same way - albeit outside rushes will really test that healed ankle and what flexion he has

I’m not really worried about the playbook... especially as he’s got not much else to do over the next few months other than rehab and diving into the playbook lol

Well, in defense of his ability to play, I think Suggs came back from an identical injury in 4-5 months and played fairly well no? These guys are built differently, I mean the NFL caliber players...

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor

Oh no doubt but the point is he’ll at least know the playbook and be familiar with the scheme and McDonald will know him and how to use him. I don’t think Ojabo will be an every down player coming back from the injury but he’ll probably be rotational.
Well, in defense of his ability to play, I think Suggs came back from an identical injury in 4-5 months and played fairly well no? These guys are built differently, I mean the NFL caliber players...
Suggs is a little different because he’s a veteran and was established. Yeah he came back but I don’t know if you can compare them because yeah the recovery may be the same but the return to the field may be different.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Watching that highlight video and all I can think is why would Hollywood want out? He was balling the first half of year only thing holding him back was himself and injuries to Lamar
I think he knew the Ravens were not about to dish out a monster contract like he wants. I'm thinking its purely financial

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Oh no doubt but the point is he’ll at least know the playbook and be familiar with the scheme and McDonald will know him and how to use him. I don’t think Ojabo will be an every down player coming back from the injury but he’ll probably be rotational.

Suggs is a little different because he’s a veteran and was established. Yeah he came back but I don’t know if you can compare them because yeah the recovery may be the same but the return to the field may be different.
I hear you. The fact that Ojabo is a rookie and doesn't know the playbook like Suggs did (with his experience and knowledge), it isn't the same result on the field. I believe Ojabo will be more effective than a typical rookie because the DC knows what Ojabo knows well and will utilize him effectively on plays Ojabo understands well, has executed effectively in college, and succeeded. But, I understand your POV.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I hear you. The fact that Ojabo is a rookie and doesn't know the playbook like Suggs did (with his experience and knowledge), it isn't the same result on the field. I believe Ojabo will be more effective than a typical rookie because the DC knows what Ojabo knows well and will utilize him effectively on plays Ojabo understands well, has executed effectively in college, and succeeded. But, I understand your POV.
Yeah, it's tricky. On one hand you are right about McDonald:Ojabo connection with regards to playbook, usage, etc. It should help. It's so tricky though because it'll depend on his recovery from the injury but I think the good is that they have that automatic connection & Ojabo knows Oweh too. These are all things that will make it easier for Ojabo to make an impact. The question is to what extent is his physical recovery & acclimation to the NFL speed and conditioning to which he will completely miss. It's a reason he fell and certainly a reason for concern. I think Ojabo will be best used rotationally and if that's your view of him, I think it's reasonable. Then again, you can never say never with some of these dudes. Nobody here is his doctor as far as I know lol

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think he knew the Ravens were not about to dish out a monster contract like he wants. I'm thinking its purely financial
Ehh, maybe. He wanted out as early as 3-4 months ago. I'm not sure he'd known what the Ravens long term plans were at this point.
It's a run heavy offense and he hasn't had much help to get him in one-on-one looks. I think he truly just didn't like the offense here.
Realistically, it would have been hard for him to have the kind of year in 2022 that would elevate his market value. You're now getting another year with Bateman, Andrews, and a team that almost certainly is going to try to run the ball more than last year. I think he's realized he's sort of "peaked" in terms production on this team.
Money may have been a factor, but I'm not convinced the FO had shut the door on trying to keep him long term.

And while I'm sure on social media there's tons of people who are blaming Roman for this, and realistically, he probably is the reason Hollywood wanted out. But I'm not firing Roman to keep Hollywood and pay him $20M+ or whatever he'll get long term. Like he's a good player, but he's not an alpha player that I'm literally turning over coaching staff and systems to make feel better. Ain't worth all that.

Plus, from a contract standpoint, if the Ravens really had already decided not to pay him big $ long term, then you trade him next year, not this year. You trade him before he hits FA and when his cap hit balloons on the 5th year option.