• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

JAAM

Hall of Famer

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
If this is drug related over dose that super sad. No matter the reason it's sad, but drugs ruin so many peoples lives.

I wonder if he "was in the best shape of his life" just because he'd lost a lot of weight from using?

I wonder if anyone knew or saw anything or if there was any chace he could've got help

jboy19

Pro Bowler
If this is drug related over dose that super sad. No matter the reason it's sad, but drugs ruin so many peoples lives.

I wonder if he "was in the best shape of his life" just because he'd lost a lot of weight from using?

I wonder if anyone knew or saw anything or if there was any chace he could've got help

People can be really good at hiding their struggles. Not every addict falls into the stereotype of what people imagine someone who is addicted to drugs to looks and acts like. It's a tragic situation and my condolences/prayers are with his partner, children, family and friends, but this can be a reminder for us to reach out and keep in touch with our loved ones.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
People can be really good at hiding their struggles. Not every addict falls into the stereotype of what people imagine someone who is addicted to drugs to looks and acts like. It's a tragic situation and my condolences/prayers are with his partner, children, family and friends, but this can be a reminder for us to reach out and keep in touch with our loved ones.
Absolutely all around

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
A lot, and I mean A LOT of people would be downright shocked to find out just how many people they know who are hiding an addiction.

That, plus, when you’re young, you usually surround yourself with young peers, ignorance feeding ignorance, people don’t have the life experience to know just how bad drugs are, folks don’t know how to spot it, how to address it, it all gets ignored and/or enabled until someone dies, then everyone’s shocked.

It’s sad man.

Simba

Staff Member
I want to be clear that this is all speculation, but assuming this is an opioid thing, you have to wonder if the weight loss and body transformation was related. Someone that could have been visibly going through a struggle, but everyone just assumed otherwise because he's an athlete.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I want to be clear that this is all speculation, but assuming this is an opioid thing, you have to wonder if the weight loss and body transformation was related. Someone that could have been visibly going through a struggle, but everyone just assumed otherwise because he's an athlete. first thought
After the initial shock and sadness, this was my first thought.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I want to be clear that this is all speculation, but assuming this is an opioid thing, you have to wonder if the weight loss and body transformation was related. Someone that could have been visibly going through a struggle, but everyone just assumed otherwise because he's an athlete.
Was thinking the same thing.

jboy19

Pro Bowler

It may have been wrong of me to speculate, but if true, I think it raises a lot of questions about what the organization can/should try to do to help. I remember that Waller interview (last year I believe) where he discussed his drug use in Baltimore. He said he used to do drugs with Lorenzo Taliaferro, who passed away from a fentanyl overdose a couple years ago. It's a league-wide problem, but the Ravens may be in the spotlight about addiction if that was what happened.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
yep, wondering the same thing and mentioned it earlier. Glad you reiterated it though.

Simba

Staff Member
It may have been wrong of me to speculate, but if true, I think it raises a lot of questions about what the organization can/should try to do to help. I remember that Waller interview (last year I believe) where he discussed his drug use in Baltimore. He said he used to do drugs with Lorenzo Taliaferro, who passed away from a fentanyl overdose a couple years ago. It's a league-wide problem, but the Ravens may be in the spotlight about addiction if that was what happened.
Kind of hard for me to look at the organization in these instances. Waller has been very forthright in that the Ravens did everything they could to help him and nothing worked until he wanted to change himself. He made that choice to get away from those he knew in Baltimore and head out to Oakland when the opportunity presented itself. You can do everything you can to help someone but there's not going to be any change unless that person wants to themselves.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
It was somewhere random so I doubt it and like you belive it would have just been revealed initially.
If true what's been reported, its pretty much exactly where you typically see these things going.

A homicide they'd probably turn the public lights on almost immediately. They'd have or be seeking a shooter, they'd want to make it known what happened. A house fire or something similar is also usually pretty easy to pick up on. Deaths from house fires are usually reported pretty quickly, multiple media outlets could identify it very quickly, etc. It's a fire... it's visible and its hard to ignore.

When you get a death announcement and cause of death is basically unannounced or at least reported relatively quickly, while not universally true, there's usually three things:
1. Suicide
2. Overdose
3. Some sort of either diagnosed or undiagnosed medical issue that caused a sudden death (heart attack, stroke, etc.)

When its a younger person like this, it's going to be one of the first two things like 95% of the time, unfortunately. Because suicide and overdose take time to determine cause of death, and its obviously insensitive to speculate until you know for sure.

Tragic either way. Hard to get your head around suicide or overdose, but as others have said, a lot of times, ain't got no clue what's going on inside somebodies head.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah I mean its mean to say, but we all know how this is going. Give it a couple weeks for the toxicology report and autopsy to be released, they'll say he had numerous drugs in his system, including fentanyl, and that'll be that.

I haven't lived in the City in a long time, but I have a hard time believing that any pro athlete would do anything in Harwood other than maybe drive through it. Especially somebody who's not from this area. Only one reason you go to that area if you don't live there...

JO_75

Hall of Famer
So that's 4 NFL players who have passed away this off-season. Dwayne Haskins, Jeff Gladney, Jaylon Ferguson and former RB Marion Barber III. This whole off-season keeps getting more stranger and stranger. Can we just start the season already?

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah I'm only going down the path of even partially blaming an organization when you find out they're complicit somehow, i.e. something like the Tyler Skaggs situation in MLB, where he had like trainers getting him opioids.

There's a strong possibly that nobody inside the organization, maybe save for a player or two who were close friends with him, had any idea he had a problem or even used.

As others have mentioned, statistically, there's people you associate with on a daily basis who are drug addicts, alcoholics, etc., and you'll never have a clue until something happens. Friends, Co-workers, family, etc.

I'm sure others have worse stories than this, but one of the Groomsmen in my wedding has been in and out of rehab for like 2 years now. I grew up with him, lived with him for a few years, talked all the time. We moved away and didn't speak as often later, but I knew pretty much everything about him for like 25 years, and not once did I ever see him do anything other than drink and smoke weed (which he didn't even do much of that).

Got a call two years ago from my Best Man telling me he'd been a heroin junkie for several months and they were checking him into rehab that morning. He'd been abusing Vicodin, Percocet, and various other pills since late in high school. Did an internship at a pharmacy for two years, got access to everything. Didn't see any signs of it or notice it for at least 15 years. Like pretty much everybody else, he couldn't afford the pills anymore, so he went the cheaper route.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Woke up this morning at 6:30am (California) for work and looked at my phone with an ESPN noti that read "Jaylon Ferguson die...". I was praying it would be anything other than "died" so my heart dropped when I opened the message. No matter the cause of death, it's truly heartbreaking and I'm praying for his family. Was really looking forward to seeing him play this year. Haven't been this sad since Tray Walker.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Woke up this morning at 6:30am (California) for work and looked at my phone with an ESPN noti that read "Jaylon Ferguson die...". I was praying it would be anything other than "died" so my heart dropped when I opened the message. No matter the cause of death, it's truly heartbreaking and I'm praying for his family. Was really looking forward to seeing him play this year. Haven't been this sad since Tray Walker.
Same story as you- but I knew the second I saw Jaylon on an ESPN notification I knew. so sad.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Same story as you- but I knew the second I saw Jaylon on an ESPN notification I knew. so sad.
I was half asleep and I honestly thought it was some kind of cover story like the BR.com website posts about players. I'm wishing it was