• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I know Lamar has done great this season, but why are we talking about any player as an MVP at this point in the season. Doesn't the media have anything else to talk about? What they should be talking about is how wrong they were about Lamar, but they won't do that.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
I know Lamar has done great this season, but why are we talking about any player as an MVP at this point in the season. Doesn't the media have anything else to talk about? What they should be talking about is how wrong they were about Lamar, but they won't do that.
In 2018 Colin Cowherd said Lamar was a project while Darnold and Rosen were prospects. Gotta love it.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Ravens DL Michael Pierce suffered a torn biceps in Week 3.​

Rapoport said "there is not definitive word yet on how to proceed and if Pierce can continue playing at some point this season. Those tests and decisions are ongoing." Pierce was carted off the field in Week 3 against the Patriots after suffering the injury. He would seem to be out for at least a few weeks. Pierce has six tackles this season.

so he could definitely be heading to i/r although not confirmed because we're not really in need of that roster spot right now

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

Its an opportunity to backdoor in talk about Lamar's contract because they want to talk more about that.

The evidence of this is, despite the fact that I very openly do not think much of him as a QB, that if they are going to force MVP talks that they are not going to mention Tua who has similar numbers and whose team has beaten the consensus top 2 teams in the AFC so far is not really being talked about. The problem is they cannot mention Tua as an MVP candidate without having to flash back clips of them dunking on him from less than a month ago. With Lamar they can pretend it did not happen because it was a few years ago and they rely on people's short attention span.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Its an opportunity to backdoor in talk about Lamar's contract because they want to talk more about that.

The evidence of this is, despite the fact that I very openly do not think much of him as a QB, that if they are going to force MVP talks that they are not going to mention Tua who has similar numbers and whose team has beaten the consensus top 2 teams in the AFC so far is not really being talked about. The problem is they cannot mention Tua as an MVP candidate without having to flash back clips of them dunking on him from less than a month ago. With Lamar they can pretend it did not happen because it was a few years ago and they rely on people's short attention span.
yet Lamar is 87% of his entire offense and Tua has two #1 WRs. They aren't even remotely close in talent level. NOT EVEN CLOSE.

and Why don't you like Lamar as a QB????

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
yet Lamar is 87% of his entire offense and Tua has two #1 WRs. They aren't even remotely close in talent level. NOT EVEN CLOSE.

and Why don't you like Lamar as a QB????

I meant I did not like Tua as a QB, I love Lamar as a QB. He has a great arm, dynamic playmaker, and generally makes good decisions. If I were to force a criticism of Lamar it is that he has the all too common problem of if you hit him once or twice that decision making and form gets a lot worse quickly but again that is true for most QBs (especially the GOAT Brady).

The reason I would give it to Tua is that while they have comparable numbers with Lamar being slightly better the opponents for Tua are more impressive. The Dolphins have beaten the 2 best teams in the AFC to be undefeated and that deserves the extra nudge to me. MVP is not just best player otherwise Rodgers would have 10-12 of them by now for when he was by far the best player in the NFL for years, the opponents beaten and overall team record have to come into play so the undefeated Dolphins who have played a tough opener get that nod for me.

I meant I did not like Tua as a QB, I love Lamar as a QB. He has a great arm, dynamic playmaker, and generally makes good decisions. If I were to force a criticism of Lamar it is that he has the all too common problem of if you hit him once or twice that decision making and form gets a lot worse quickly but again that is true for most QBs (especially the GOAT Brady).

The reason I would give it to Tua is that while they have comparable numbers with Lamar being slightly better the opponents for Tua are more impressive. The Dolphins have beaten the 2 best teams in the AFC to be undefeated and that deserves the extra nudge to me. MVP is not just best player otherwise Rodgers would have 10-12 of them by now for when he was by far the best player in the NFL for years, the opponents beaten and overall team record have to come into play so the undefeated Dolphins who have played a tough opener get that nod for me.
The Ravens beat themselves

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The Ravens beat themselves

and the dolphins defence beat the bills... they faced 90 plays, gave up a bunch of yards and kept the bills under 20 points
tua's offensive prowess and "form" are largely based on one batshit insane quarter of football - he's had 11 other quarters of non-elite level play (not saying he's been bad... but not even close to MVP level)

there are 4 QBs who have inarguably played better than Tua so far and done more for their teams
(in no particular order)
Lamar
Allen
Mahomes
Hurts