• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Thezone27

Ravens Ring of Honor
Always was, but it’s not even debatable that he’s been better than trey lance, and you see how well Brock purdy performs in shanahans offense, if you were to take a similar qb to run the same offense would you look for Mac jones or trey lance?
Bailey Zappe

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Mac Jones is overrated

Always was, but it’s not even debatable that he’s been better than trey lance, and you see how well Brock purdy performs in shanahans offense, if you were to take a similar qb to run the same offense would you look for Mac jones or trey lance?
Overrated in what sense? I don't get the impression that folks, especially including Pats fans, rate him that high any more. Maybe last season when he showed promise, but this year? Nah.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Just nah lol. Mixon is not a special running back. Hurst is not a special TE. Higgins and Boyd are good but not at all special. The OL played a good game but that's anomalous. Chase is special. Burrow is special. That defense is not special
The thing is players don't consistently perform in the same way, and many perform much better in "must win" games like the playoffs. There's always anomolies in performance, to state the obvious human beings are not plug and play. lol Mixon, Higgins, Hurst, Chase, the entire Bengals O line played extremely well yesterday, along with Burrow. It was a team effort, not just Burrow lifting up the team.

Thezone27

Ravens Ring of Honor
The thing is players don't consistently perform in the same way, and many perform much better in "must win" games like the playoffs. There's always anomolies in performance, to state the obvious human beings are not plug and play. lol Mixon, Higgins, Hurst, Chase, the entire Bengals O line played extremely well yesterday, along with Burrow. It was a team effort, not just Burrow lifting up the team.
Mixon is ridiculously overpaid

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Higgins and Boyd did nothing. Hurst had a very normal game for a TE1. Chase actually had a worse game than he typically does. The OL played far better than expected. Mixon had like his second best game of the entire season yesterday (he had such a bad season, Bengals fans were clamoring he be cut).

To say football is a team sport is the most obvious statement in the world lol. That being said, if you replace Burrow with Mac Jones and look at their record this year vs replacing Lamar with Mac Jones, you'd see the Ravens were a far superior team.

Burrow is the only reason that team is relevant.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Higgins and Boyd did nothing. Hurst had a very normal game for a TE1. Chase actually had a worse game than he typically does. The OL played far better than expected. Mixon had like his second best game of the entire season yesterday (he had such a bad season, Bengals fans were clamoring he be cut).

To say football is a team sport is the most obvious statement in the world lol. That being said, if you replace Burrow with Mac Jones and look at their record this year vs replacing Lamar with Mac Jones, you'd see the Ravens were a far superior team.

Just don't buy into the plug and play comparisons. Burrow is good, but there are certainly others that could win there as well. And as good as he is Burrow could also lose, say if he were in Atlanta, they wouldn't instantly become a SB contender because he is there.

One player alone never has and never will make a team relevant, Burrow is not the only reason the Bengals are relevant. lol

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler

I think you're under-rating the weapons to make your point about Burrow. He's great but so are they.

Chase was a monster. He didn't have massive stats but everything he did, he did really well.

Higgins, Boyd and Hurst caught their targets and got open to make them. That, plus their reputations & history, made the Bills pay attention to them, which opened up a lot more space for Mixon and Burrow than they'd have got with DeMarcus Robinson and Sammy Watkins at WR.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Just don't buy into the plug and play comparisons. Burrow is good, but there are certainly others that could win there as well. And as good as he is Burrow could also lose, say if he were in Atlanta, they wouldn't instantly become a SB contender because he is there.

One player alone never has and never will make a team relevant, Burrow is not the only reason the Bengals are relevant. lol
Yeah you're just wrong lol. I'm sorry. Bengals without Burrow do not go to back to back AFC championships.

Atlanta with Burrow don't necessarily go to the NFC championship by any means, but they instantly would become not one of the actual bottom feeders of the NFL and you can't convince me they wouldn't have won that division with him at the helm.

Again it's just so banal to discuss the fact that a sport that has 53 people on the roster is a team game. Like obviously. For God's sake it's a tautology. But that just ignores the fact that certain positions are ridiculously more important than others and that certain people are far better than others at those positions

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

I mean... the last sentence is one of the more obvious statements in the world too. That's kind of how the modern NFL works. Most times are only relevant because of the QB play.

Nobody here thinks the Ravens are relevant without Lamar. If Tyler Huntley was the starting QB of this team, or even if Mac Jones were the starting QB of this team, its unwatchable, and it'll be a dog fight against every single team in the league, every single week, to win. And we'd get blown out a lot too.

Of course they're relevant because of Burrow. He's a generational player.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I mean... the last sentence is one of the more obvious statements in the world too. That's kind of how the modern NFL works. Most times are only relevant because of the QB play.

Nobody here thinks the Ravens are relevant without Lamar. If Tyler Huntley was the starting QB of this team, or even if Mac Jones were the starting QB of this team, its unwatchable, and it'll be a dog fight against every single team in the league, every single week, to win. And we'd get blown out a lot too.

Of course they're relevant because of Burrow. He's a generational player.
Thank you

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Mac Jones reminds me of Jimmy G for some reason. I feel like he would thrive in a shanny system with weapons but will never be the guy to carry the team. Very much a 20-35 205 yds and 1 Td kinda guy ...IDK if that makes sense

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Mixon is ridiculously overpaid
I am officially underpaid, lets work on that go fund me. All proceeds will go to my three obsessions: 1. Running shoes 2. Food 3. Disney 3A. Booz 3B. Universal 3C. My kids

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Mac Jones reminds me of Jimmy G for some reason. I feel like he would thrive in a shanny system with weapons but will never be the guy to carry the team. Very much a 20-35 205 yds and 1 Td kinda guy ...IDK if that makes sense

Mac looked nice last year before they decided to have a DC as an OC lmao

Tank

Hall of Famer
Yeah you're just wrong lol. I'm sorry. Bengals without Burrow do not go to back to back AFC championships.

Atlanta with Burrow don't necessarily go to the NFC championship by any means, but they instantly would become not one of the actual bottom feeders of the NFL and you can't convince me they wouldn't have won that division with him at the helm.

Again it's just so banal to discuss the fact that a sport that has 53 people on the roster is a team game. Like obviously. For God's sake it's a tautology. But that just ignores the fact that certain positions are ridiculously more important than others and that certain people are far better than others at those positions
What's boring is to discuss the performance of one person as if the team is irrelevant and they weren't there. but you do you. lol carry on, all good.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
ESPN has finally finally finally decided to stop sucking Josh Allen's dick. They're saying it used to be Mahomes and Allen in the AFC. Now it's Mahomes and Burrow.

In a perfect world, it would be Mahomes and Jackson. But Jackson is yet to break through and Burrow has been that GUY.

Tank

Hall of Famer
ESPN has finally finally finally decided to stop sucking Josh Allen's dick. They're saying it used to be Mahomes and Allen in the AFC. Now it's Mahomes and Burrow.

In a perfect world, it would be Mahomes and Jackson. But Jackson is yet to break through and Burrow has been that GUY.
Honest question. Do you think if Burrow and Allen switch places Buffalo wins yesterday?

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
What's boring is to discuss the performance of one person as if the team is irrelevant and they weren't there. but you do you. lol carry on, all good.
I'll end it here promise. No one is ignoring the rest of their team. That's the whole premise. That roster is really mid. Burrow has for years shown an ability to elevate their squads to overaheive.

You want to say thir whole team played hard and with a lot of heart. They sure did, no one disputes that. Doesn't mean we should act like they were preseason destined SB favorites based on their roster. They just weren't.

Heart is awesome. The Ravens showed a ton when they played them. We were so proud of our a lot of our guys. At the end of the day, Burrow has just not made mistakes in the way Huntley and Allen have.

He's why they're moving on. No mistakes and being absolutely magic in the pocket.