• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

Ellicottraven

Ravens Ring of Honor
Okay it's official now. We are coached by a circus clown that also does folksy shit on offense and we are led by a really tough log of wood at QB. This is a pairing made in hell. We simply stink as a ball club.
Fire everybody and start afresh. It can't be any worse that it is with this unit.

RayRayRaven

Veteran
Okay it's official now. We are coached by a circus clown that also does folksy shit on offense and we are led by a really tough log of wood at QB. This is a pairing made in hell. We simply stink as a ball club.
Fire everybody and start afresh. It can't be any worse that it is with this unit.

you can look at it another way. harball knew we were outgunned and went for it on punts and 4th downs to change the math.

but going for it and failing is bad math when your kicker is the best in the game.

in the end we didn't figure to get outta dodge with a win

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Uh-oh folks, looks like the good people from RSR agree with us when we talk about certain players (i.e. T-Will, Jefferson, etc.) are not being utilized correctly.
http://russellstreetreport.com/2017/11/16/lombardis-way/ravens-coaches-and-scouts/

Yep. Correa's mom has a point. If you desperately needed ILB, why even draft Correa and try turning college end into one instead of OLB, while spending 2nd round pick and by trading down missing on Myles Jack and Reggie Ragland in the process?

How dumb is that?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Yep. Correa's mom has a point. If you desperately needed ILB, why even draft Correa and try turning college end into one instead of OLB, while spending 2nd round pick and by trading down missing on Myles Jack and Reggie Ragland in the process?

How dumb is that?
To be fair, they did try Correa at OLB and he failed miserably because the same issues that showed up in college showed up in the pros... except in the pros, your issues are magnified 10 fold.

Same with TWill. Great player with great traits, but he's having some of the same issues in the pros and it's limiting him. I think we got really excited by his potential, but I don't think Correa or TWill were ever going to come in and be immediate contributors. I think It's more likely TWill gets it going and has a breakout year 2 or 3.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Jefferson is a very good ss, when used properly. I’m certainly hoping Pees and Marty are fired. I still want Harbaugh to be the coach, but I’d like him to be immediately placed on the hot seat.
I think one of the big things that brought great allure to Jefferson was this ability to use him as a safety that could prevent the mismatch of tight ends and at times, it's been a bit of a struggle. The Ravens don't need a box safety who's going to play down on the run and blitz. The front seven is talented enough to handle that. They needed a safety who could cover the intermediate and tight ends. That's what I think we were always hoping for.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

How dumb is that?
VERY dumb. Would've LOVED to see Myles Jack and Bowser together on the field as Ravens, but whatever.

Jefferson is a very good ss, when used properly. I’m certainly hoping Pees and Marty are fired. I still want Harbaugh to be the coach, but I’d like him to be immediately placed on the hot seat.
At this point, Marty needing to be fired is a given. Just like I told @Jacquouille , the only way I see him staying is if this defense continues to play decent. At this juncture (without looking at the stats in awhile), I believe we're right out of the top 5 in overall defense.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think one of the big things that brought great allure to Jefferson was this ability to use him as a safety that could prevent the mismatch of tight ends and at times, it's been a bit of a struggle. The Ravens don't need a box safety who's going to play down on the run and blitz. The front seven is talented enough to handle that. They needed a safety who could cover the intermediate and tight ends. That's what I think we were always hoping for.
Your right, this is true

rossihunter2

Staff Member
VERY dumb. Would've LOVED to see Myles Jack and Bowser together on the field as Ravens, but whatever.

At this point, Marty needing to be fired is a given. Just like I told @Jacquouille , the only way I see him staying is if this defense continues to play decent. At this juncture (without looking at the stats in awhile), I believe we're right out of the top 5 in overall defense.

and we lead the league in ints and turnovers...

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think fan expectations often differ from the vision of the FO.

I think Jefferson is fine. Not what we quite had in mind, but I'm not losing sleep over him.
I’m not losing sleep over him either. No question fans expectations differ.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
and we lead the league in ints and turnovers...
Right, forgot that. I just feel like our defense isn't anything special when we were aiming for dominant. I don't hate Pees but I don't see him taking our defense to the next level even with all the talent he has now.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Right, forgot that. I just feel like our defense isn't anything special when we were aiming for dominant. I don't hate Pees but I don't see him taking our defense to the next level even with all the talent he has now.

oh we arent dominant but if we could consistently get teams into 3rd and longs/obvious passing downs and unleash our newfound edge rush speed on defence / unleash some more creative/deceptive blitzing then that could be the final key to turning our defence into a no go zone for opposing offences

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
To be fair, they did try Correa at OLB and he failed miserably because the same issues that showed up in college showed up in the pros... except in the pros, your issues are magnified 10 fold.

Same with TWill. Great player with great traits, but he's having some of the same issues in the pros and it's limiting him. I think we got really excited by his potential, but I don't think Correa or TWill were ever going to come in and be immediate contributors. I think It's more likely TWill gets it going and has a breakout year 2 or 3.
That's fair but he wouldn't be the first guy that took 3 years to develop, play well in the 4th and leave for decent money in FA. Why not give him real opportunity instead of screwing around with him trying to make him MLB?

Sooky

Pro Bowler
I still feel like a lot of those turnover stats are really skewed because of those first two games. The defense has underperformed more in my eyes than the offense has. Going into this season I knew more than likely our offense would be bottom 5 in the league but a lot of us were holding onto that thread hoping that the defense could carry the offense to the playoffs.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I still feel like a lot of those turnover stats are really skewed because of those first two games. The defense has underperformed more in my eyes than the offense has. Going into this season I knew more than likely our offense would be bottom 5 in the league but a lot of us were holding onto that thread hoping that the defense could carry the offense to the playoffs.

i was wrong - because of the bye i forgot that the rams were a turnover machine - they now lead the league in turnovers but still we are averaging 2 turnovers a game - yes we've had a couple of huge games but we've also had a couple of games where our defence made no impact - including jax which is the only game id say our defence was properly bad in

even if you took out those 1st 2 games we'd still be averaging more than 1 turnover per game (and that's unfair to take those 2 games out anyway because then you should be taking out the 2 worst games too...)

i wouldnt say the defence has underperformed vs the offence because there's a symbiotic relationship between the two - a number of times this year the defence has held the opposition to less than 20 points heading into the 4th quarter but get gassed because the offence cant give them a break - i think if our offence were improved you'd see a marked improvement in our defence too - especially if we could get a significant lead - our defence feeds in the passing game when the opposing team has to start throwing more or gets behind down and distance - and that's where turnovers come - that's why weve had so many turnovers in the first 2 games - because we built a lead - it's why there are very few lead changes in our games - its because our defence is built to stop an offence from coming back - the problem is that our offence needs to gain a lead first and it's at best the 3rd worst unit in the nfl