• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Random Thought Thread

K-Dog

MVP
How much of this defense can we retain this off season?

If we have this defense with a upgraded offense, this will be a scary team. ( I know we have said that before )

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer

If we have this defense with a upgraded offense, this will be a scary team. ( I know we have said that before )
Most of them should be coming back, unless there are any retirements. The only big free agent I can think of is Urban.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I mean in the 4th when we were running it every play to run down clock on back to back snaps it was snapped with 15 seconds on play clock...does that count?
Ehhhhh I guess. I think back to the MIA game and how we seemed to have more success moving the ball in an up-tempo offense. Since then, I haven't seen much of it and I can't understand why this is the case.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

I mean the secondary is all locked up, the linebacker core as well with Mosley on his 5th year, and I think Urban is the only one on the DLine in a contract year

rossihunter2

Staff Member

on the dline every single member is locked up except urban, at linebacker everyone is locked up, at cornerback everyone is locked up except brandon carr who has 3 more years on his contract but they are all 6mill options, at safety everyone is locked up

things to remember when assuming that this defence will stay the same though:
  • sizzle will be a year older (i can foresee next year being his "last ride" if he likes the look of the offence this offseason)
  • weddle will be a year older (and is already looking like he's declining slightly - certainly is at his best away from the line of scrimmage)
  • brandon carr will be a year older

redrum52

Hall of Famer
on the dline every single member is locked up except urban, at linebacker everyone is locked up, at cornerback everyone is locked up except brandon carr who has 3 more years on his contract but they are all 6mill options, at safety everyone is locked up

things to remember when assuming that this defence will stay the same though:
  • sizzle will be a year older (i can foresee next year being his "last ride" if he likes the look of the offence this offseason)
  • weddle will be a year older (and is already looking like he's declining slightly - certainly is at his best away from the line of scrimmage)
  • brandon carr will be a year older

Said in off season we're set for 3-4 years for the most part. Safety will be the questionable position. I think we're fine at every other spot. Carr will be older, but Marlon should be starting by then and Young will be back. Suggs will be older, but Judon, Williams and Bowser will have a year more experience in the system.

The key is hitting on OL and a solid wr. The good thing is we really only need to focus on offense. If every pick and FA move went towards that side I'd have no problems with Ozzie's decision.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Said in off season we're set for 3-4 years for the most part. Safety will be the questionable position. I think we're fine at every other spot. Carr will be older, but Marlon should be starting by then and Young will be back. Suggs will be older, but Judon, Williams and Bowser will have a year more experience in the system.

The key is hitting on OL and a solid wr. The good thing is we really only need to focus on offense. If every pick and FA move went towards that side I'd have no problems with Ozzie's decision.

that's fair - the only holes on this defence are at inside linebacker, potentially a true 5tech (although wormley has been promising in limited snaps) and safety - if we could fill one of those 3 spots that would be ideal - i want offence for the first round and 3/4 of our day 1 and 2 picks but id be fine if the other day 2 pick went on safety or something

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
that's fair - the only holes on this defence are at inside linebacker, potentially a true 5tech (although wormley has been promising in limited snaps) and safety - if we could fill one of those 3 spots that would be ideal - i want offence for the first round and 3/4 of our day 1 and 2 picks but id be fine if the other day 2 pick went on safety or something
Yes, I wouldn’t mind drafting a safety in the middle rounds if he is worthy.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

I would not be surprised if we drafted a safety in the 1st round this year if a good one is available.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
I would not be surprised if we drafted a safety in the 1st round this year if a good one is available.

Wouldn't bother me, but the main focus needs to be to fix this "offense." Obviously if certain players fall you take them, but they have to fix this mess and for the most part, the defense is set and has pretty good depth outside of S and ILB.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
@rossihunter2 I wouldn't mind pairing Stanley back up with his boy Nelson.

Would be tight though to have guys on every level who've played together in college. We've got enough of that Bama connection with Humphrey, CJ and Tim.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i mean the one we'd all want wont be available when we pick but mincah fitzpatrick reuniting with marlon humphrey on the back end would have been a dream come true
No question, he’s the only player I have ranked ahead of Nelson at this point, albeit early, in the draft process.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
ive got 6 dream picks and at least half of them are unrealistic pipe dreams and the others will fade over the horizon too if we make the playoffs:
--> in no particular order
  • josh rosen
  • saquon barkley
  • mincah fitzpatrick
  • quenton nelson
  • mike mcglinchey
  • calvin ridley
Haha, looks like we won't have top 10 pick.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Wouldn't bother me, but the main focus needs to be to fix this "offense." Obviously if certain players fall you take them, but they have to fix this mess and for the most part, the defense is set and has pretty good depth outside of S and ILB.

I've said before that there are 3 spots that are crucial on any team to win a title. DBs OLine and QB. If you dont have all 3 you dont win. WRs are overrated. An elite pass rush is fun but not needed. The teams that win the SB can always boast being skilled at those 3 spots.

We have the secondary (though again I would gladly take an elite safety prospect) we have a QB who has shown he can do it whatever we may think of him he has done it, now it comes down to the OLine which is so close barring injury to being amazing. Stanley is great, need to hold onto Jensen but the problem is Yanda is getting older and Howard is at best okay. I have no idea how good Alex Lewis has gotten in the offseason or what Siragusa has done or whether they can turn Elum into a real player so you basically have 2 players for the future and 1 great player for 2 years and that is not enough. Grow the OLine and EVERYTHING else will just get better on offense almost overnight.